Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry Bold Series

Is Blackberry Bold 4 (9900) good for just making calls and sms in 2021?

Asked: Apr 25 2021 | 7:04 am EDT 898 Views 3 Answers

Hello, I am considering buying a Blackberry Bold 4 (9900) just to make calls and texts. I have a smartphone and using all my other apps on it. I just want a phone to put my other sim card in and keep it on. Is Blackberry Bold 4 a good choice for that purpose?

More Answers

Apr 25 2021 | 9:16 am EDT Chuck Finley69

Hello, I am considering buying a Blackberry Bold 4 (9900) just to make calls and texts. I have a smartphone and using all my other apps on it. I just want a phone to put my other sim card in and keep it on. Is Blackberry Bold 4 a good choice for that purpose?
Welcome to CrackBerry!!!!! Post early and post often......

Depends where you live

Apr 25 2021 | 9:17 am EDT Shuswap

It may be, depending on where you live. If you're in the U.S., I hear that you're out of luck and it won't work. You need 2G (unlikely) or 3G (more likely) coverage, with the right bands for the handset you're planning to use.

If you have the coverage, then the phone will make calls and send SMS messages, but probably not MMS, unless you can find a carrier that's still sending out service books.

If you enjoy hacking and cryptography, you can make MMS work, but it's not trivial: The Bold Explorer

Apr 26 2021 | 9:29 am EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

Be better to just buy a burner phone.... one that supports today's networks.

If you live outside of the USA where 3G might have a few years left.... ending of Blackberry services fist of next year is going to end BIS and the usefulness of BBOS devices.