So, I got a blackberry bold from a friend and I'd like to use it as my main phone to test it, I really like the aesthetic and the form factor, but I cannot get blackberry appworld to work, is there anyone who can help me? An alternative would be cool too, so at least I can get some apps installed
    05-28-20 01:44 PM
    So, I got a blackberry bold from a friend and I'd like to use it as my main phone to test it, I really like the aesthetic and the form factor, but I cannot get blackberry appworld to work, is there anyone who can help me? An alternative would be cool too, so at least I can get some apps installed
    First things first... do you have actual BIS data carrier plan setup on phone and verified operating properly?

Welcome to CrackBerry!!!!! Post early and post often
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 05-28-20 at 08:57 PM.
    05-28-20 02:37 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry....

Think these links are still good.... https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13361944

That should get BBW going for you. But yeah an old BlackBerry requires BIS to fully function, so you'll have to check with your service provider and see if it's offered anymore. If they do make sure you get it activated while talking with them....

But if it's new to you.... I'd reload the OS and start fresh, and that should get BBW back for you too.
    05-28-20 02:41 PM
    FYI: They certainly made some changes behind the scenes and very abruptly

BlackBerry 10 users: the current version of BlackBerry World will no longer function for your BlackBerry 10 device after May 30, 2020. Please upgrade to the latest available BlackBerry World client.
    05-28-20 08:55 PM
    So, I managed to "sideload" the latest version of BBW with BBSAK on the phone, but it's pretty much dead since there aren't any useful apps, and I can download with wi-fi without any problems.
    Also I'd like to know if I can get at least whatsapp to work, thanks for your fast replies!
    05-29-20 11:43 AM
    So, I managed to "sideload" the latest version of BBW with BBSAK on the phone, but it's pretty much dead since there aren't any useful apps, and I can download with wi-fi without any problems.
    Also I'd like to know if I can get at least whatsapp to work, thanks for your fast replies!
    Can't use the latest or any other version at this point....

Here is a good list that stays pretty much up to data on many of the key working apps. The Bold Explorer

But if you need apps... BBOS nor BB10 is really going to be useful at this point.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-29-20 02:41 PM
    You cannot. WhatsApp for BBOS is over.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-29-20 04:01 PM
    I feel that's a waste, from what I can see the Bold can be a capable phone even in 2020, I really hate to see such a beautiful piece of technology being killed by it's creators.
    Oh well, I don't think I can do much with the phone at this point, but if you have ideas feel free to post them! (I'm running OS 6 btw)
    05-30-20 02:36 AM
    I feel that's a waste, from what I can see the Bold can be a capable phone even in 2020, I really hate to see such a beautiful piece of technology being killed by it's creators.
    Oh well, I don't think I can do much with the phone at this point, but if you have ideas feel free to post them! (I'm running OS 6 btw)
    The Bold was made for a different time. And it was Whatsapp that left it.

BTW, the Bold creators - Lazaridis and Balsillie - didn't kill anything. They just simply left the company 8 years ago.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-30-20 11:23 AM
    The Bold was made for a different time. And it was Whatsapp that left it.

BTW, the Bold creators - Lazaridis and Balsillie - didn't kill anything. They just simply left the company 8 years ago.
    I was referring to blackberry itself, and yes, it's true that it was made for a different time, in fact I always wanted a blackberry but the new ones just don't cut it for me, they seem shallow, a desperate attempt at keeping the tradition alive, even though it doesn't go well with the new phone types (having a physical keyboard and having a digital one is redundant and a waste of space).
    Maybe I should stop complaining and move on :|, where I live almost no one uses SMSs anymore.
    06-01-20 08:20 AM
    I was referring to blackberry itself, and yes, it's true that it was made for a different time, in fact I always wanted a blackberry but the new ones just don't cut it for me, they seem shallow, a desperate attempt at keeping the tradition alive, even though it doesn't go well with the new phone types (having a physical keyboard and having a digital one is redundant and a waste of space).
    Maybe I should stop complaining and move on :|, where I live almost no one uses SMSs anymore.
    There are others like you that believe that BBOS and the BOLD should have lived on.... just not enough to make it worth it.

If you need or want a PKB... get a KEY device. If not, yeah it's time to move on..... BlackBerry has.
    06-01-20 09:08 AM
    You cannot. WhatsApp for BBOS is over.
    What if I try whatsapp web? It should work, but I cannot get the browser to load the desktop version of the site, it would be like using it on a tablet without 3g/4g
    06-03-20 02:17 AM