had session with tmobile and blackberry with my unlocked phone and remote session with my computer, escalated the issue, they say it's known issue and they are working on it. I knew it was at least a bug in the desktop software. I was told by some techs that my phone was bad, but I didn't quite think so. I knew this was a bug when desktop software was locking up repeatedly, even during backup.
    it's actually random at this point, had to pray to get phone working - this happened during session with blackberry tech - was a surprise to both of us when it suddenly started working when before it was consistently failing.

originally it was a phone call to tmobile's local store, to see if they could resolve the issue, because I knew they handled such things. they said to call tmobile's normal number. but they told me to say "blackberry pdas" to tmobile automated system. this resulted in phone system misunderstanding, so I put the usual information in via a different phone, and asked for "agent" and then "tech support" and then asked for someone who could handle blackberry technical problems. they could not resolve, so they gave me verizon's number and a blackberry phone number 18772552377 (make sure you repeat the number for your area to them to see if you got it right, because phones are noisy). tmobile had told me to call verizon for support since it was a non-supported phone (they kicked me off and told me to go to blackberry), and to ask verizon if there was any special blackberry desktop software for the 9930 I needed. I was told no. no problem.
    some of the questions I repeatedly had asked was:

is there special verizon desktop software for this verizon blackberry 9930 phone?
    how can I get this blackberry 9930 to transmit over the cell network again? wifi works fine, can't remember about bluetooth.

and the situation I had stated was:

blackberry 9930, won't transmit to cell network.
    wifi is fine.
    don't know about bluetooth.
    I had updated my phone apps first except for items which would cause a problem.
    I had then installed bb desktop software 7.1 on 4/28/2013, performed obligatory desktop software updates.
    then because I like updated bb OS, proceeded to update OS. the update hung at "backup" (usually goes fairly quickly). this has happened before many many times with older bb desktop software. workaround was to quickly disconnect and reconnect usb cable. hung again at next step ("install"), same workaround worked again. completed. had several more updates. (I should not have updated using this bb desktop software)
    now doesn't xmit over cell network. cannot enable this,. just spins when I do. cell network just says "OFF".
    SIM card has appropriate info in it.
    network setup info is correct

called blackberry. make sure you don't get a noisy line. retry if you have to. try a quiet room, tell people to turn off the tv set. it was really quiet. this resulted in blackberry telling me that I had 2 options:

go through my carrier (tmobile) to try to resolve the problem, but through blackberry support's phone system so they can monitor. I balked and told him I had already done this, but he reassured me this was the way to do it and things were going to be OK. I didn't need to get upset. I was trying to remain quite calm. one thing that helps keep me calm is using a monotone low voice.
    pay 49.95 incident support fee and get problem resolved (well, I am low on cash this month)

I ended up doing a remote desktop session after the session with tmobile failed again (with a different person).

I have had to redescribe my problem quite a number of times. be patient. you might just get your phone working again!

part of the fix recipe was:

taking sim card out of current phone and putting in another (older) blackberry phone, powering up, getting cell signal, powering down, and powering down, putting sim card back into current phone..
    (not sure if this was it) if you updated your blackberry desktop software after installing, uninstall and reinstall and don't update, turn off update option.
    from menu, device, delete data, choose selected, backup before deleting should be on. this is a workaround for doing backups. after this my phone suddenly started to connect to cell network and surprised us both.

my phone is an unlocked verizon phone working on tmobile.

BTW, blackberry said bluetooth connections to blackberry for backups and such were not reliable, so use a usb cable! I think I understand why now, when I tried to backup over bluetooth earlier, it would not progress (probably same bug as above). also, bluetooth uses same frequency as wifi! so if you have wifi enabled and bluetooth too, sometimes one can win or both can lose, or both can work.
    05-27-13 01:20 PM
    had session with tmobile and blackberry with my unlocked phone and remote session with my computer, escalated the issue, they say it's known issue and they are working on it. I knew it was at least a bug in the desktop software. I was told by some techs that my phone was bad, but I didn't quite think so. I knew this was a bug when desktop software was locking up repeatedly, even during backup.
    it's actually random at this point, had to pray to get phone working - this happened during session with blackberry tech - was a surprise to both of us when it suddenly started working when before it was consistently failing.

originally it was a phone call to tmobile's local store, to see if they could resolve the issue, because I knew they handled such things. they said to call tmobile's normal number. but they told me to say "blackberry pdas" to tmobile automated system. this resulted in phone system misunderstanding, so I put the usual information in via a different phone, and asked for "agent" and then "tech support" and then asked for someone who could handle blackberry technical problems. they could not resolve, so they gave me verizon's number and a blackberry phone number 18772552377 (make sure you repeat the number for your area to them to see if you got it right, because phones are noisy). tmobile had told me to call verizon for support since it was a non-supported phone (they kicked me off and told me to go to blackberry), and to ask verizon if there was any special blackberry desktop software for the 9930 I needed. I was told no. no problem.
    some of the questions I repeatedly had asked was:

is there special verizon desktop software for this verizon blackberry 9930 phone?
    how can I get this blackberry 9930 to transmit over the cell network again? wifi works fine, can't remember about bluetooth.

and the situation I had stated was:

blackberry 9930, won't transmit to cell network.
    wifi is fine.
    don't know about bluetooth.
    I had updated my phone apps first except for items which would cause a problem.
    I had then installed bb desktop software 7.1 on 4/28/2013, performed obligatory desktop software updates.
    then because I like updated bb OS, proceeded to update OS. the update hung at "backup" (usually goes fairly quickly). this has happened before many many times with older bb desktop software. workaround was to quickly disconnect and reconnect usb cable. hung again at next step ("install"), same workaround worked again. completed. had several more updates. (I should not have updated using this bb desktop software)
    now doesn't xmit over cell network. cannot enable this,. just spins when I do. cell network just says "OFF".
    SIM card has appropriate info in it.
    network setup info is correct

called blackberry. make sure you don't get a noisy line. retry if you have to. try a quiet room, tell people to turn off the tv set. it was really quiet. this resulted in blackberry telling me that I had 2 options:

go through my carrier (tmobile) to try to resolve the problem, but through blackberry support's phone system so they can monitor. I balked and told him I had already done this, but he reassured me this was the way to do it and things were going to be OK. I didn't need to get upset. I was trying to remain quite calm. one thing that helps keep me calm is using a monotone low voice.
    pay 49.95 incident support fee and get problem resolved (well, I am low on cash this month)

I ended up doing a remote desktop session after the session with tmobile failed again (with a different person).

I have had to redescribe my problem quite a number of times. be patient. you might just get your phone working again!

part of the fix recipe was:

taking sim card out of current phone and putting in another (older) blackberry phone, powering up, getting cell signal, powering down, and powering down, putting sim card back into current phone..
    (not sure if this was it) if you updated your blackberry desktop software after installing, uninstall and reinstall and don't update, turn off update option.
    from menu, device, delete data, choose selected, backup before deleting should be on. this is a workaround for doing backups. after this my phone suddenly started to connect to cell network and surprised us both.

my phone is an unlocked verizon phone working on tmobile.

BTW, blackberry said bluetooth connections to blackberry for backups and such were not reliable, so use a usb cable! I think I understand why now, when I tried to backup over bluetooth earlier, it would not progress (probably same bug as above). also, bluetooth uses same frequency as wifi! so if you have wifi enabled and bluetooth too, sometimes one can win or both can lose, or both can work.
    Wow! What a baptism by fire! Welcome to CrackBerry!

So glad that you finally got a fix for your 9930 to get cellular service. The techs will keep trying if you keep calling. That's what I have found. If you are in need of other help please post the exact issue and someone will try to help. We have many people here who have the same device that have moved on to BB10 phones who can help as well.
    05-27-13 01:36 PM
    heh, yeah, tech support for me as usual - I deal with it all the time in engineering and testing (what I usually end up doing is fixing other people's products for them...). I should be a consultant!

I like blackberries. I keep my data on it. it's why I don't want to change. I at least found an app to export my data off the memo pad, but the calendar stuff not yet. I suppose someday I will just have to write a phone application that does this using phonegap. I want my data on my pc in text file readable format. maybe even something I can export into/import from google calendar if I can ever find the time to work with the APIs AND I get my bb account working.

why do I get all the bugs?

can't afford a z10. WAYYY too much money for cell phones. I had to save up to get the 9930 and it cost $399! these things are NOT cheap. and as it turned out, it's not tmobile :-( guess I have to avoid buying an unlocked phone from now on because I now know it's NOT going to be my carrier and therefore "unsupported" AND probably used (I got no disc, so I had to make one).
    07-15-13 04:40 AM