I am excited to be getting my bold 9900 in a few hours. That's not a typo. For the past almost 2 weeks now I have been on a digital detox. My blackberry key 2 Le is sitting wiped and off in my sons room. I made this decision because honestly I have a cell phone addiction. I think we all secretly do to be honest. When we are with our families or friends are we actually really there or are we staring at screens. I can honestly say that for the most time I was staring at screens constantly checking email, social media, and whatsapp.

The past two weeks I have been using the Nokia 3310 and I have felt such a sense of freedom from the constant need to check my phone. I tried the freedom app that locks you out of the phone but you can easily by pass this app by reloading your phone in safe mode. So finally I decided to make the leap and disconnect totally. My bold 9900 arrives today and I am so excited for it to get here. Phone calls and texts...thats all I need this phone for.

Just wondering if anyone can share with me any things I need to know about battery life with the phone. Things I need to shut off etc, apps running in the back ground etc

Cheers
    elfabio80 likes this.
    09-30-20 09:51 AM
    I am excited to be getting my bold 9900 in a few hours. That's not a typo. For the past almost 2 weeks now I have been on a digital detox. My blackberry key 2 Le is sitting wiped and off in my sons room. I made this decision because honestly I have a cell phone addiction. I think we all secretly do to be honest. When we are with our families or friends are we actually really there or are we staring at screens. I can honestly say that for the most time I was staring at screens constantly checking email, social media, and whatsapp.

The past two weeks I have been using the Nokia 3310 and I have felt such a sense of freedom from the constant need to check my phone. I tried the freedom app that locks you out of the phone but you can easily by pass this app by reloading your phone in safe mode. So finally I decided to make the leap and disconnect totally. My bold 9900 arrives today and I am so excited for it to get here. Phone calls and texts...thats all I need this phone for.

Just wondering if anyone can share with me any things I need to know about battery life with the phone. Things I need to shut off etc, apps running in the back ground etc

Cheers
    Main thing is does your carrier support BIS.... will they active an old non LTE phone?

BBOS is a very different OS.... I don't know about "running in the background" but there use to be a program call Shrink-A-OS that would allow you to declutter the OS installation.
    AA Byron likes this.
    09-30-20 10:34 AM
    I really wish someone would do a PKB feature phone that was based on those old BOLD or PALM designs. Something that used modern hardware and was more compatible with today's networks. WiFi Calling, VoLTE, RCS....
    09-30-20 11:04 AM
    I am with bell canada and they said it will work..I just need it for calls and texts
    09-30-20 11:26 AM
    Yup that would be nice but lets be honest that is NEVER happening. There just are not enough people that would buy it to justify it's creation. I hate all these current monster slab phones. They are difficult to carry.
    AA Byron likes this.
    09-30-20 11:28 AM
    Yup that would be nice but lets be honest that is NEVER happening. There just are not enough people that would buy it to justify it's creation. I hate all these current monster slab phones. They are difficult to carry.
    Per Counterpoint research.... "Feature phone shipments in the developed market of North America grew 35% YoY driven by Alcatel." Would seem like good reason to do one....

Of course that means very little without some real numbers, which they offered in their report as well CY 2019 only saw about 374 million phones sold Globally, which is overall down 22%. Who knows what COVID will do to that market. The scary number is Jio was the market leader in CY 2018, saw a 75% decline in YoY sales. It's a very unstable market that a few years ago many predicted to see continued growth for years yet - think HMD/Nokia was betting on that. But last year changed all that - and not like we are talking about products with big markups on them.
    anon(10710536) likes this.
    09-30-20 11:46 AM
    So I just got my bold..opened it up..and its funny how a almost decade old phone feels so right..the simplicity..like I said I will just be using this for calls and texts but man its still a gorgeous device ..hopefully the new blackberry will be influenced by the 9900..the CEO of onward did mention this as one of his favs...I am just floored by how giddy I am with a decade old device...opening by key 2 Le did not feel this good lol
    AA Byron likes this.
    09-30-20 12:02 PM
    I would have recommended a BlackBerry Classic as a detox phone but seems like you made your choice.

Enjoy that Bold for however long possible
    09-30-20 04:41 PM
    I may have to do that lol...i put my sim card in and at the top of the device its saying 'insert sim card'

I am using an adaptor but its not working..seller said this was unlocked but it says rogers network...can anyone help me on this? I know its not the sim card because its working in my other devices..right now this device is useless to me
    09-30-20 05:20 PM
    Looks I may have to get a classic. Put my sim card and the bold is not recognizing it. Contacted the seller and I am getting a refund. Probably pick up a classic now
    09-30-20 05:37 PM
    I am excited to be getting my bold 9900 in a few hours....

Cheers
    You'll find a lot of information here: The Bold Explorer

Now I feel guilty. You might find that it can still do more than you want it to!
    09-30-20 07:14 PM
    SIM adapters can be tricky?
    10-01-20 07:37 AM
    Yeah there is nothing wrong with my Sim I checked it in multiple phones but when I put it in the my sim adapter and put it in my bold the bold said insert sim card. Luckily I got a refund
    10-01-20 07:47 AM
    SIM adapters can be tricky?
    Think it was a blessing in disguise realize now I should be going with a classic anyways..much better phone and I can still detox as its basically a dumb phone with a PKB which is what I am desperately seekings. Using this Nokia 3310 for the past 2 weeks has been frustrating trying to text with T9
    10-01-20 07:48 AM
    Think it was a blessing in disguise realize now I should be going with a classic anyways..much better phone and I can still detox as its basically a dumb phone with a PKB which is what I am desperately seekings. Using this Nokia 3310 for the past 2 weeks has been frustrating trying to text with T9
    Yeah, well, Bold's life expectancy is somewhat less certain than Classic, I'd say. Classic is ok and if you're already used to bigger phones you'll likely make ok with it. My best type rate on Classic remains about 85% of what I do on Bold but if you're coming from T9, Classic should prove an excellent choice. Good luck!
    AA Byron likes this.
    10-01-20 08:02 AM
    Yeah, well, Bold's life expectancy is somewhat less certain than Classic, I'd say. Classic is ok and if you're already used to bigger phones you'll likely make ok with it. My best type rate on Classic remains about 85% of what I do on Bold but if you're coming from T9, Classic should prove an excellent choice. Good luck!
    Yeah I am dying with this T9 lol. I have been using it for two weeks and wow how the hell did we do this back in the day ? lol
    10-01-20 08:10 AM
    Yeah I am dying with this T9 lol. I have been using it for two weeks and wow how the hell did we do this back in the day ? lol
    This is why I can't comprehend why there aren't more QWERTY feature phones instead of T9
    AA Byron likes this.
    10-01-20 08:13 AM
    I have an old Nokia flip that still works with my carrier, but I could never get used to T9, even though the prediction is excellent. I remember seeing kids using T9 back in the day and their fingers were flying. I guess if you're dedicated enough, you can master anything, but these days there's no need.
    10-01-20 08:21 AM
    This is why I can't comprehend why there aren't more QWERTY feature phones instead of T9
    Yeah thats actually a really good point. I guess companies are still worried about blackberry suing them lol
    10-01-20 08:34 AM
    I have an old Nokia flip that still works with my carrier, but I could never get used to T9, even though the prediction is excellent. I remember seeing kids using T9 back in the day and their fingers were flying. I guess if you're dedicated enough, you can master anything, but these days there's no need.
    Yeah its just beyond frustrating. Right now I am desperately trying to find a classic I can pick up today
    10-01-20 08:35 AM
    Good descision. I make a detox every summer for 3 month. Sometimes with a Classic or with a Bold 9790.
    anon(10710536) likes this.
    10-01-20 08:47 AM
    Good descision. I make a detox every summer for 3 month. Sometimes with a Classic or with a Bold 9790.
    Nice..yeah I am going to try this detox till the new blackberry comes out because I know i will be sucked into buying it when it comes out lol
    10-01-20 09:38 AM
    Yeah thats actually a really good point. I guess companies are still worried about blackberry suing them lol
    They really shouldn't be, there are tons of ways to make a PKB that doesn't infringe on their "precious" patents.

Even back in the day where BB cared much more about their patents, there were more QWERTY feature phones than now.
    10-01-20 09:43 AM
    They really shouldn't be, there are tons of ways to make a PKB that doesn't infringe on their "precious" patents.

Even back in the day where BB cared much more about their patents, there were more QWERTY feature phones than now.
    Very true.
    10-01-20 09:44 AM

Yeah it isn't worry about BlackBerry.... It's worry about selling enough to make a profit.

I find it hard to believe that the LG Wing is going to sell a lot of phones at that price.... 25K, 50K maybe 100K. But it's a high margin phone that stands out and get the message out that LG isn't gone just yet.

I know PKB phones stand out.... but not sure what people really thing when they see them.

Too be honest I wish Onward hadn't stepped up.... I'd rather see an LG, Nokia or Moto do a PKB. Odds are someone would have attempted to offer a phone for the niche within a year of BBMo going away. I suspect tiny startup Onwards only going to muddy the waters more with an overpriced devices that won't appeal to consumers and will be in update limbo once again... and damage the PKB image even more.

Love to see Nokia do clones of their PKB phones from the past.... both as a feature phone offering and as a full Android One smartphone offering.
    10-01-20 11:19 AM
127 123 ...