I am from South Africa and is a Vodacom customer, in April I upgraded my contract and got myself the Blackberry 9900 Bold, everything worked fine, 100% until about two or three weeks ago, my downloading speed has decreased so much that it is not even worth the effort to try and download any video clips at all, the download speed is now between 2kb and 6kb and can take so long just to download a movie of 500kb.

However, my internet browsing works fine, downloading music is also slower but faster than trying to download a video clip, ive given up on even trying to download video clips!

Is there anyone els who is experiencing the same problems and what can i do to improve my speed or is this a problem with the BB 9900 bold?

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.
    06-23-12 09:40 AM
    Battery pull? Carrier throttle or problem?
    06-23-12 09:43 AM
    Could be because of your carrier. You should try another carrier to see whether or not there are any problem with your phone? Sometime I have same problem same as yours but it's still fine after couple of days.
    06-23-12 05:19 PM
    Or this could be BIS issue. BlackBerry BIS network is famous for being too slow compared to other smart phones on regular data network.
    06-23-12 05:43 PM
    i have a blackberry 9300 and i have the same problem with vodacom and i'm in s.a i don't know why this happens ... can't even get vuclips to start anymore and when i phone the network they say must take it to a repair centre ...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    06-28-12 03:11 AM
    Hi guys im from South Africa to vodacom is throttling downloads.

There was a articular that i read online about there plan to throttle downloads as some kid download 300+ gigs in one month with his BB lol

Im on mtn and i dont have this problem but since i updated to 7.1.0.523 my download speed has slowed down

I downloaded phone os for a 9300 last night and it took me over a hour to download 160mb on. .402 it took just under a hour to download 9900 os that is 280mb
    Last edited by B rad1242; 06-28-12 at 04:15 AM.
    06-28-12 04:10 AM
    As a 9900 user in good 'ol S.A., I can confirm this is true. An aquintance also has a 9900 but unlike me on Vodacom, he's on MTN.

We click the same links and he gets the download done in half the time. But then sometimes I can download 250mb in about 5mins, obviously the network is behind this but I also think that overall traffic can be blaimed too.

Some nights my 3G connection is on fire, other nights it's quite pityful....

I'm not sure what phone the OP came from but I too swore like a trooper when I went from HTC Desire HD to the 9900 about how slow the connection of the BB is. Maybe i's faster now or maybe I'm just used to it
    06-28-12 05:41 AM
    The reason why all networks are slow is because all service providers has limitted bb users to downloading that's why our downloads are slow most of the time
    07-05-12 12:54 PM
    Have the same problem..also from sa,I'm on mtn and I hava Blackberry Bold 9900..my downloading has never been over the roof,but with 3G it usually went pretty fast..since I upgraded to OS v7.1.0.342 though,my 3G doesn't work at all.everything downloads at like 1-3kb per second,only my browsing and such is fast..I'm sure it was my os upgrade though..
    10-19-12 07:09 AM
    I'm also from SA and using a 9300 curve and on the cell c network and my download speed is always between 800 to 190 kb/s and never have any problems
    01-17-13 04:15 PM
    Have the same problem..also from sa,I'm on mtn and I hava Blackberry Bold 9900..my downloading has never been over the roof,but with 3G it usually went pretty fast..since I upgraded to OS v7.1.0.342 though,my 3G doesn't work at all.everything downloads at like 1-3kb per second,only my browsing and such is fast..I'm sure it was my os upgrade though..
    Kamaru KMR likes this.
    08-02-13 11:10 PM
    I am from India and is a Airtel customer, my Blackberry 9900 Bold, everything worked fine, 100% until about two or three weeks ago, my downloading speed has decreased so much that it is not even worth the effort to try and download any video clips at all, the download speed is now between 2kb and 6kb and can take so long just to download a movie of 500kb.

However, my internet browsing works fine, downloading music is also slower but faster than trying to download a video clip, ive given up on even trying to download video clips!

Is there anyone els who is experiencing the same problems and what can i do to improve my speed or is this a problem with the BB 9900 bold?

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
    11-28-13 12:30 AM
    I am also in South Africa. However, I have Cellc. My download speed is like 9102 kb/s. Maybe you should switch to Cellc or try Telkom Mobile.
    09-25-14 06:00 PM
    eBOYa said:
    Slow bis solved.
    Because vodacom is unlimited as being said. Somehow they know that all bis abusers are 3g users, Their only way to automatically clock the download speed to be slow is to use the bis icon 2gether with the 3G icon both found next to the network bars. So the trick is to change mobile network options, on 3g n 2g select only 2g, deactivating 3g totally and the bis icon also desapear. we all know 2g is not fast bt its worthy and the download can clock up to 60 kb/s. So now the 4un will seach again 4 network. N once u c EDGE on top. B liv me U are ready 2 go. Wishing u al luck with it
    12-01-14 07:38 AM
    eBOYa: So much fail. Rather than a conspiracy theory, how about the simple fact that 2G and 3G radios are provisioned separately?, and perhaps the closest tower to you with a radio is the 2G one?

Easy way to test this scientifically would be to drive up to the tower with a 3G transmitter and see how your speeds are then.

Note another variable in this is that just because you have a transmitter in your backyard does not mean they implemented a fiber optic backhaul with capacity for the radios. Some remote locations use microwave line of sight links. Obviously that's not going to be super fast.

Yet another variable, if you're using an old device on BIS then the traffic goes to wherever the regional NOC is in addition to the tower issues which means peering arrangements or oceanic cables. If you try BB 10 then there is no more BIS and your speeds may change again.

Or there is a conspiracy, that they hate BIS so much they keep selling the plans and devices but intentionally degrade the service just because there is no other work to be done.
    12-01-14 07:59 AM
    I've had a 9900 since they came out. When I bought it I use to get 200+ emails/day. This phone has saved me over 70% typing emails and texts. Still use it today because there is nothing as fast. I have multiple social account which eats up the RAM so I have to do a battery pull several times a day. There's an app called Memboo that will help u know how much RAM you are starting with and how much you have available. I have only 290mb to start. When it get below 180mb it will start to slow down. So if I need a quick fix I will run the app so I don't lose what I started. Running the app does not get you all the RAM back but is a quick fix. Always clear your event chart before the boost. Need more memory pull the battery when convient. Not the best solution but works.

PM me if you can't find the app
    12-08-14 05:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD