My 9780 which I bought second-hand has developed a screen fault.

I have searched the world wide web for a similar problem but as yet haven't been lucky.

Whereas the "white screen" problems are the most commonly described my problem seems to be a gradual depixellation, (that's the best way I can describe it).

It started off at the top of the screen next to where the time is displayed. At first I thought it might be a dirty black mark, but on closer inspection it is obviously internal.

It is gradually getting bigger and is of an irregular shape, (a bit like a Rorschach diagram - those things that they use in psychological evaluations that look like familiar shapes of butterflies and the like).

It obviously isn't going to get better, but I can live with it for a while as its not obscuring anything critical yet, but I would like to know what it is and what is going on and what causes it in the first place.

I don�t recall having dropped it and its in a protective case anyway. The only thing I have done lately is change the battery � the original one was requiring more regular charging so I purchased and fitted a new one. The new one has a higher capacity but is the same model number.

Before I go spending my hard earned on a screen repair, I want to know for sure I�m going down the right route. I�ve got about a year left on my contract and the phone is definitely out of warranty so I can�t rely on an early upgrade.

Can anyone comment? Have you seen this problem before?

PS - Another thing - why isn't the text wrapping around in this post?
    08-09-13 07:12 AM
    Typically any sort of black splotch is caused from the lcd bleeding. Usually it's caused by impact. Some sort of trauma to the screen, either from dropping, or by pressure. This does not necessarily mean pressure directly on the spot. It can be caused by a squeeze to both sizes of the phone. The weakest point may rupture in the lcd and cause a bleed. That being said, I have seen bleeds before caused by nothing...

Luckily, the screens on a 9780 are a breeze to replace. You can buy one on Ebay and replace it yourself for a fraction of the cost of what it would cost you to go get it replaced. Watch YouTube for instructions. Trust me, I've replaced probably 10-15 9700/80 screens. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes.
    retrofinn likes this.
    08-09-13 07:34 AM
    Typically any sort of black splotch is caused from the lcd bleeding. Usually it's caused by impact. Some sort of trauma to the screen, either from dropping, or by pressure. This does not necessarily mean pressure directly on the spot. It can be caused by a squeeze to both sizes of the phone. The weakest point may rupture in the lcd and cause a bleed. That being said, I have seen bleeds before caused by nothing...

Luckily, the screens on a 9780 are a breeze to replace. You can buy one on Ebay and replace it yourself for a fraction of the cost of what it would cost you to go get it replaced. Watch YouTube for instructions. Trust me, I've replaced probably 10-15 9700/80 screens. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes.
    Many thanks for your very quick response and your detailed answer.

I have noticed that there are quite a few screens for sale on Ebay and Amazon, the latter being significantly more expensive.

I can’t find many, if any websites that actually sell these screens that do not already deal on Ebay. Do you know of any UK online retailers?

I also note that some of the screens available on Ebay are refurbs which obviously work out cheaper. Should I avoid these and look for a new one?

If I look for a new screen, should I avoid the “compatible copies” or opt for a more expensive genuine article?

I am very reliant on your guidance here Shahyaz, I am as you can tell no expert!

I hope you can help
    08-09-13 08:04 AM
    Sorry it took so long for me to reply; I didn't get a notification of your response.

I don't know any UK retailers, sadly.

Most of the refurbs should be relatively okay, particularly if the retailer offers some sort of warranty. It also depends on how long you plan on having your 9780. If you want it to last a year, sure, go ahead and buy a refurb. If you want it to last longer, buy a new screen. They're cheap regardless.

Good luck!
    08-31-13 09:58 AM