As most of you know, there is a problem in later versions of OS 5.0 for the 9700 in which only the number of the person who is sending you an SMS msg appears instead of their name. This is a known issue within RIM and is currently being worked on and fixed in newer revisions not yet released. You can find more(kind of) information on this known issue in the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center

Depending on which version you're using some people have found that you can change the way your contacts are listed from (999) 555-1212 to 9995551212 as a workaround to get the actual contact names to appear rather than just their number. For those that have a lot of contacts, this isn't very feasible but for those who can and want to, it's a decent workaround.

Thanks to MattSpartans20 for reminding me to make this thread and stick it.
    12-03-09 06:52 PM
    The "just change all your numbers" suggestion is not a "decent workaround." It sounds like one of those Apple fanboy justifications for what is a really an absurd bug.

How this bug every got into an official release is bad enough, but letting it go unfixed this long is ridiculous.
    12-03-09 07:02 PM
    Thanks Crucial!! this should help cut down on new threads. and once there is a fix or a solution we can post it in here....jsut looked at the article again and they actually updated the date on the document but i dont see any difference in the actual body of the document, it used to say November 17th now it has today's date
    12-03-09 07:06 PM
    The "just change all your numbers" suggestion is not a "decent workaround." It sounds like one of those Apple fanboy justifications for what is a really an absurd bug.

How this bug every got into an official release is bad enough, but letting it go unfixed this long is ridiculous.
    I agree this bug shouldn't have made it in a public release, but don't you dare sit here and first off act like it's the end of the world nor act like worse hasn't ever happened. And lastly, for those that don't have 600+ contacts like myself, it is a decent workaround, whether you agree or not isn't my concern. If you have nothing to contribute to the thread, refrain from posting in the future.
    12-03-09 07:10 PM
    I agree this bug shouldn't have made it in a public release, but don't you dare sit here and first off act like it's the end of the world nor act like worse hasn't ever happened. And lastly, for those that don't have 600+ contacts like myself, it is a decent workaround, whether you agree or not isn't my concern. If you have nothing to contribute to the thread, refrain from posting in the future.
    +10 for CX! I agree 100%
    12-03-09 07:40 PM
    +10 for CX! I agree 100%
    totally agree as well, and the better work around is to open the SMS and click the blackberry button and you can see the persons name, i have 500+ contacts but I just change my contact book for the maybe 10 that i text the most.
    12-03-09 07:45 PM
    ...nice post Jason!
    12-03-09 08:16 PM

Your first post on CB is to call out a mod? Well done sir...
    12-03-09 08:20 PM
    all my numbers are in the format without brackets or dashes, when i upgraded to .371, the sms bug was found for that format as well. just downgraded back to .351 and all is good.
    12-03-09 09:31 PM
    Your first post on CB is to call out a mod? Well done sir...
    Yes.. we should all fear authority..

That said, I agree with the OP, it really is a minor inconvenience.
    12-03-09 10:47 PM
    ehhh, its all good
    12-03-09 10:59 PM
    Just wondering... can we get a "The battery lasts wonderfully, even for heavy users - well enough to get you through your day. After that, CHARGE IT WHILE YOU SLEEP!! Jesus Christ..." thread stickied as well?
    12-04-09 12:13 AM
    Just wondering... can we get a "The battery lasts wonderfully, even for heavy users - well enough to get you through your day. After that, CHARGE IT WHILE YOU SLEEP!! Jesus Christ..." thread stickied as well?
    Amen brother!!!
    12-04-09 05:17 AM
    The title of this post states that it is a SMS bug but for me it also happens on incoming calls. People I have in my contacts just come up as a number instead of their name.
    12-04-09 06:34 AM
    Hey All,

A simple fix for those of us who have 100+ contacts on our phone (I have about 415), just downgrade to version .296 until an upgrade comes out that fixes it. Yeah, it might not be the latest and greatest, but I have been running on it for two weeks now without a problem.

Take Care,
    Panthawk
    12-04-09 07:28 AM
    I could not agree with you more..This certainly is not an apocalypse!!!...Any word on release of .400 series OS updates? Thanks for all your hard work and positive instructive contributions. I for one appreciate it..
    12-04-09 07:44 AM
    totally agree as well, and the better work around is to open the SMS and click the blackberry button and you can see the persons name, i have 500+ contacts but I just change my contact book for the maybe 10 that i text the most.
    Exactly what I do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 07:48 AM
    The title of this post states that it is a SMS bug but for me it also happens on incoming calls. People I have in my contacts just come up as a number instead of their name.
    This happened to me (with an old BlackBerry, previous to OS 5) when my company changed some of the security settings (enabled content protection, I think). May not be the case for you, but thought I would check. If that is a possibility, there was a setting you could change within the security options for "Include Address Book" or "Include Contacts", and you want that set to No.

May not help in your case, but figured it was worth a try.
    12-04-09 08:03 AM
    All (most) of us on this forum have been watching and waiting for the 9700 for months. By definition, that makes us all early adopters. And did we really think that it would be released without a single flaw? In the grand scheme of things, the SMS bug is an annoyance, nothing more. It will get fixed. RIM has not yet released an official OS update, after all, it's only been 2.5 weeks since the Bold was officially released. Early adopters of other platforms and devices have fared far worse.

If we go back through some of the threads in this forum we see a lot of "Hurry up and release it, RIM!" posts and a few "But make it perfect" posts. Well, those two sentiments are fundamentally incompatible. If the SMS bug is the worst flaw discovered in the Bold then I will consider it a pretty darned good (and nearly flawless) device.
    12-04-09 08:58 AM
    it's fixed in the new BETA OS
    12-04-09 09:00 AM
    Can confirm this is fixed in .405. My contacts are saved as xxxxxxxxxx format and I have no issues with the new Beta.
    12-04-09 09:36 AM
    All (most) of us on this forum have been watching and waiting for the 9700 for months. By definition, that makes us all early adopters. And did we really think that it would be released without a single flaw? In the grand scheme of things, the SMS bug is an annoyance, nothing more. It will get fixed. RIM has not yet released an official OS update, after all, it's only been 2.5 weeks since the Bold was officially released. Early adopters of other platforms and devices have fared far worse.

If we go back through some of the threads in this forum we see a lot of "Hurry up and release it, RIM!" posts and a few "But make it perfect" posts. Well, those two sentiments are fundamentally incompatible. If the SMS bug is the worst flaw discovered in the Bold then I will consider it a pretty darned good (and nearly flawless) device.
    +1

In IT project management (and project management in general) we have the triple constraint - cost/time/quality. If you push and /or sacrifice one you affect the others....you want it faster, cost may go up and quality may suffer....

I wanted it, really wanted it, but not sacrificing the quality.
    12-04-09 11:51 AM
    Can confirm this is fixed in .405. My contacts are saved as xxxxxxxxxx format and I have no issues with the new Beta.
    You wouldn't have had any issues with your contacts formatted that way
    12-04-09 11:56 AM
    Pathetic at not being fixed yet.

Hate on me all you want for bashing, but jesus christ is this inconvenient.
    12-04-09 12:36 PM
    It was a decent workaround for me. Took about 10 minutes with google sync to edit everyone of my numbers.

And I completely agree with this being a good release of a device. I don't recall when the bold 2 was announced but it did not take a very long time to get released.

If rim decided to fix all bugs and quirks then it would have taken longer to release the device which wouldve caused a lot of crying of users about "what's taking so long".

I am happy.
    Last edited by xgm541; 12-04-09 at 12:54 PM.
    12-04-09 12:50 PM
127 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD