Heres an article that probably explains the delay on AT&T for the Bold.

The BlackBerry Bold and iPhone 3G share similar traits but ultimately apply to entirely different markets, Citigroup investment analyst Jim Suva says in a research note issued today. In a hands-on test of the Bold shortly before its launch, Suva notes that the Bold touts both 3G and a significantly improved web browser versus earlier BlackBerries but that its design is still ultimately suited to work versus Apple's offering. This is particularly acute with the Bold potentially costing as much as $399 on contract.
    The Bold is a "strong product but not a game changer," Suva says. "We believe it will appeal to business users who travel internationally, but less so to consumers given its likely high price."

The analyst also notes that the BlackBerry suffers from the same problems of the iPhone, including 3G connection problems; the device will frequently drop 3G in favor of a slower, 2G EDGE link when downtown. Suva speculates that the flaw may likewise stem from rough software and that AT&T may have delayed its launch primarily to stabilize 3G performance.

Its two-megapixel camera is also sub-par versus those from other phones, he adds.

Electronista | Bold no direct iPhone rival, suffers 3G flaw
    08-20-08 05:18 PM
    Here is more EVIDENCE--->

The BlackBerry Bold has been out in Chile and Germany and drops in Canada tomorrow, so as much as analysts talk out of their ***, Citigroup analyst Jim Suva might not just be blowing hot air when he says that the Bold is plagued by the same 3G connection issues as the iPhone 3G (though 2.0.2 might've made them worse still). Apparently it has a similar penchant for dropping you to EDGE even when there's a perfectly decent 3G signal.

He speculates that the reason the US is late to the party is because AT&T is holding the phone until the cause of the issue—rough software—is sorted out. [Update: For the record, when asked, AT&T punted us to RIM.] After all, one phone having issues seems like a hardware problem (which international carriers in markets with well-established and proven 3G networks are saying about the iPhone). Its two most high profile phones? Well, people start talking. This actually would pose a larger problem for RIM than AT&T, since BlackBerry is largely built on a rep of being a reliable workhorse, and in the wake of the iPhone's wobbly legs (still quaking well over a month post-launch) reliability is a huge point for RIM to harp on to keep suits from straying. [Electronista]

Blackberry Bold: BlackBerry Bold Plagued by Same 3G Problems as iPhone
    08-20-08 05:21 PM
    I would be interested how members with a retail bold are fairing in regards to this. Any reception problems with your bold?
    08-20-08 06:13 PM
    Wow, 74 looks and no replies. Anyway, I've done a little more research and found out: Basically, until UMTS launches in more markets, this will continue to be a issue. 850 was freed up earlier this year when TDMA and analog were turned off. I've been told that more markets will have UMTS 850 by the end of the year for AT&T.
    When UTMS is 1900 only, EDGE on 850 is much stronger in building, and of course all devices hand off to the strongest signal possible. So until 850 comes to more markets or someone comes up with a app that would program the device for 3G ONLY, this problem will persist.
    08-20-08 06:14 PM
    Got mine today, It seems to drop down to 2g on orange all the time. It's making surfing pretty useless without Wi-Fi. It constantly asks to retry connection. The bar showing Orange 3g connection is eratic and I had this problem with a w950 on orange a few years back. This eats the battery!
    08-20-08 06:22 PM
    I just wonder how long they will tweak the harware/software before it is released. I must say 3G is a strong factor in making the switch to ATT. My area has pretty good 3G coverage and T-Mo won't have it here (Topeka,Ks) for some time. Ahh....... A good chance for me to practice a virtue I was born without........PATIENCE!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 06:24 PM
    I just wonder how long they will tweak the harware/software before it is released. I must say 3G is a strong factor in making the switch to ATT. My area has pretty good 3G coverage and T-Mo won't have it here (Topeka,Ks) for some time. Ahh....... A good chance for me to practice a virtue I was born without........PATIENCE!

I doubt it will be too much longer, but they definitely want to get this resolved ASAP.
    08-20-08 06:40 PM
    This isn't just a problem with the iPhone. I have 3G on my device and just recently in SC where I live, AT&T had upgraded to 3G in anticipation of the iPhone release. Ever since that change went live, my cell phone drops calls much more frequently now and is forever bouncing back and forth between 3G and 2G. It seems to me to be a network issue that AT&T and not RIM has to resolve...
    08-20-08 06:55 PM
    bold comes out tomorrow with rogers. we'll see how well the 3g works. i cant recall anyone complaining about 3g issues with roger/fido with any other 3g device. only the iphonefor complaints so far.
    08-20-08 06:59 PM
    Well Crucial I sure hope it isn't too much longer. I have been rockin' a curve on T-Mo for about a year now and as much as I lovemy Curve and T-Mo's cust. Service and my kicka** plan that I have had since July od 2000, I want 3G and a new device. I know T-Mo will roll out 3G in Kansas City soon, my guess is it will be 6 months or more before we get it here in Topeka,Ks.

08-20-08 07:45 PM
    Well Crucial I sure hope it isn't too much longer. I have been rockin' a curve on T-Mo for about a year now and as much as I lovemy Curve and T-Mo's cust. Service and my kicka** plan that I have had since July od 2000, I want 3G and a new device. I know T-Mo will roll out 3G in Kansas City soon, my guess is it will be 6 months or more before we get it here in Topeka,Ks.

Well bro, Honestly, if I was you, I would wait for the Javelin. Rumor has it, I can't confirm this though, that it doesn't have 3G. But the Javelin has alot better specs than the Bold. The only thing it lacks is 3G Technology. I myself can live without 3G, and I will be getting myself a Jav. It's just a thought. Maybe check out the Javelin forum.
    08-20-08 07:57 PM
    Yeah Crucial I have been considering it but man, ATT coverage is so much better here. I can have SOS signal and my homeboy next to me with ATT has 2-3 bars. It frustrates me. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I enjoy your posts though Crucial. Your opinion is as always welcome here. Its people like you, bmmcllure and Sunkast that have helped me a ton without you guys even knowing it.

08-20-08 08:09 PM
    Man this makes things more confusing. First people think it's the iPhone, now the Bold is doing the exact same things so now people think its the network BUT Blackjack users are claiming that their phone operates in 3G just fine. Can we please get an official statement from someone?!
    08-20-08 08:35 PM
    No one wants to give an official statement until they have a solution - and I'm sure they won't want to even then because it would admit they had a problem. And no one wants to admit their product(s) have problems.
    08-20-08 09:09 PM
    Well, this is part of the problem with the Iphone, but in NO WAY is it even the root cause. Jobs is in the lab making new codes, so this def isn't the cause. But it is a contributing factor. AT&T will get it right!!

08-20-08 10:37 PM
    I had an issue with 3g for one day, got a update from orange and its never dropped again.
    08-21-08 03:55 AM
    Mines dropped once but so far it's pretty stable
    08-21-08 04:08 AM
    I've had no problems with the Rogers 3G Network. I think these re-occurring issues are with the AT&T 3G network.
    08-22-08 03:08 PM
    I've had no problems with the Rogers 3G Network. I think these re-occurring issues are with the AT&T 3G network.
    I agree. I also have a device on Rogers and it works just fine. AT&T however is where the problems at.
    08-22-08 03:13 PM
    2 of my friends have it and they said same thing. 3g works 100% GREAT on rogers network. i have a colleague in the states and he says it works horrible with 3g on at&t. this just might be why at&t delayed the bold. who knows.
    08-22-08 03:22 PM
    2 of my friends have it and they said same thing. 3g works 100% GREAT on rogers network. i have a colleague in the states and he says it works horrible with 3g on at&t. this just might be why at&t delayed the bold. who knows.
    Oh, no it's definitely why they delayed it.
    08-22-08 03:24 PM
    Is this a problem with phone itself, or the network? Because if its the phone I will probably not buy one.
    08-22-08 05:14 PM
    Waiting for Bold on o2 in UK - (Sept 8th latest rumored availability date)

I have to use the web while away from wifi - a lot.

So the hop up to 3G reception from EDGE is very looked forward to..

Perhaps TOO much.. because I think I may have to brace myself for the shock that its not going to wash my laundry and cook me dinner too.. What I mean is it may be a let down.. perhaps not all THAT much of an improvement..

Time will tell..
    08-22-08 05:44 PM

Actually Tmobile is launching 3G in Kansas sometime between september 8 and oct 1

08-22-08 05:58 PM
    Is this a problem with phone itself, or the network? Because if its the phone I will probably not buy one.
    I believe it's the hardware conflicting with at&t's 3g network. I only say this because there are tons of 3g devices out now and they don't have these issues.

08-22-08 06:30 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD