Do you think we will be seeing Blackberry 7 OS upgrade for Blackberry Bold 9650? I certainly hope so!
    04-28-11 04:52 PM
    No solid info. But I would guess not.
    04-28-11 04:55 PM
    Did you read the blog post about it yesterday, or just the headlines?

BlackBerry 6.1 is now named BlackBerry 7! (and no, it is not QNX based) | CrackBerry.com

it could be that because some of the new features in BlackBerry 6.1/7 require hardware that's not currently in BlackBerry 6 Smartphones, that we won't see 6.1/7 hit current BlackBerry 6 phones so RIM wanted to differentiate the OS numbers a bit further than one decimal place. Keep in mind on our 2011 roadmap we also saw references to a "lite" version of BlackBerry 6.1 - so hopefully that means we'll still seem solid updates come to current BlackBerry 6 devices.
    04-28-11 05:16 PM
    Probably not. Hardware is outdated anyways
    04-28-11 06:00 PM
    "it could be that"

Throws me for a loop.

We will know soon enough for sure!
    04-28-11 06:03 PM
    It wouldn't take much more OS to turn our bolds into a laggy, unpleasant exercise in frustration. I'm already afflicted with spinning clocks ,sometimes long enough to cause me to set down the phone and wait for it to finish whatever it was so busy with. I expect a bigger, more complex OS would make this worse, barring some magical coding improvement.
    04-29-11 01:07 AM
    I am with skyboxer on this one. I really dont understand why people who have blackberries can not be happy with what OS they have on the phone right now. Its going to take RIM a solid 6 months to make the os ready for a phone anyway. By that time I am certain there will be something new and shiny that everyone will be whining about.
    Remember with OS6 came out and everyone was wondering if it would run on thier 83xx maybe you should upgrade to a new device if you want the newest software. Otherwise make do with what you have.

Let the flaming begin.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-29-11 09:43 AM
    Maybe at least, OS 6.1 , It's possible though..
    Am wandering will the 9780 gets the OS 6.1 or EVEN the 7 too.
    04-29-11 09:55 AM
    It wouldn't take much more OS to turn our bolds into a laggy, unpleasant exercise in frustration. I'm already afflicted with spinning clocks ,sometimes long enough to cause me to set down the phone and wait for it to finish whatever it was so busy with. I expect a bigger, more complex OS would make this worse, barring some magical coding improvement.
    Yup, exactly why I'm such a fan of OS5 on my 9650. OS6 worked well enough while I tried it, it was certainly usable and all, but OS5 definately seems to respond quicker for pretty much everything I do.

With a touchscreen and faster processor, OS6/7 would probably be a joy to use. But on my 9650, OS6 seemed to be stretching the limits a bit...
    04-29-11 10:06 AM
    Maybe at least, OS 6.1
    You should read up on the news on the frontpage .. 6.1 = 7
    04-29-11 10:58 AM
    I think they could make the browser not as laggy. Maybe if they did release a 7 update in like a hybrid it might have a faster browser because I heard that QNX optimized the older BB code.
    04-29-11 03:09 PM
    Although it would be nice to see another big update for the 9650, it doesn't really matter much to me because I'm definitely gonna be rockin' the Bold touch.
    04-30-11 02:46 PM
    I am with skyboxer on this one. I really dont understand why people who have blackberries can not be happy with what OS they have on the phone right now. Its going to take RIM a solid 6 months to make the os ready for a phone anyway. By that time I am certain there will be something new and shiny that everyone will be whining about.
    Remember with OS6 came out and everyone was wondering if it would run on thier 83xx maybe you should upgrade to a new device if you want the newest software. Otherwise make do with what you have.

Let the flaming begin.
    I can't be happy with the OS because it's jacked up my phone quite a bit. (Official VZW OS6) I continue to find goofy stuff. (Yeah, I know, vague.) It amazes me the amount of tweaks, unofficials, etc kicking around. I built my PC so am not completely technologically challenged, but the average user just shouldn't have to jump through such hoops over a phone. (Beaten to death, I know that too. But I'm cranky and feel like a bit of a rant.)

Didn't flame you tho
    04-30-11 05:49 PM
    I think they could make the browser not as laggy. Maybe if they did release a 7 update in like a hybrid it might have a faster browser because I heard that QNX optimized the older BB code.
    That's most likely due to the CPU...and I think the Bold 9650s got the short end of the stick CPU-wise because my friend's 9700 running the latest OS6 build has a quick browser and overall quicker user interface...I was even jealous lol
    04-30-11 06:02 PM
    I kinda doubt that the Bold 9650 will get BB7.
    05-01-11 12:05 AM
    There is no way that the 9650 Bold will be getting OS7.
    05-01-11 01:23 AM
    Really doesn't matter to me either way. My 9650 works for me the way it is, and it works well. Does everthing I need it to do, and I am quite a heavy user. It is a major business tool for me, and never out of my hand.

I upgraded to v.6 when it first became available, but quickly switched back to v.5, as I could not handle the lack of column view in the browser.

This Bold will not be having anymore OS updates!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-11 07:30 AM
    Who needs OS7? OS6 runs just fine and allows me to do whatever I need to do on my phone.

OS7 is gonna run natively on hardware MADE for it. Not on the 9650.
    05-01-11 08:08 AM
    You should read up on the news on the frontpage .. 6.1 = 7
    Some people are holding out that there will be an OS6.1 lite. Kevin even references to it.

"Keep in mind on our 2011 roadmap we also saw references to a "lite" version of BlackBerry 6.1 - so hopefully that means we'll still seem solid updates come to current BlackBerry 6 devices. " ~ Kevin Michaluk
    05-01-11 08:19 AM
    I'm agree those that say the 9650 will not be getting OS7. I'm hoping because RIM is pushing the OS to the next number it means some great up grades, up grades that the 9650 can't handle.

Now, OS6.1 lite? we see.
    05-01-11 08:25 AM
    Read the article, OS7 =/= QNX.
    05-01-11 09:42 AM
    I'm agree those that say the 9650 will not be getting OS7. I'm hoping because RIM is pushing the OS to the next number it means some great up grades, up grades that the 9650 can't handle.

Now, OS6.1 lite? we see.
    Wouldn't that be OS7 lite?
    05-01-11 10:44 AM
    I totally agree with Skyboxer and the rest of the folks that share the same idea: My Bold meets and/or exceeds my business and personal needs currently running on OS5:
    1. phone
    2. PDA and
    3. multimedia device.
    *In that order.

I loved my first BB an 8330, was great and served my needs for a couple years just fine. The Bold 9650 is doing the same. I to find it to run faster and smother with OS5, of course I used BBSAK to help it meet my specific needs and remove Sprint bloatware.

In short, I am happy with my 9650 as is...will I upgrade my phone the future, of course. Will I do it as soon as the next major phone upgrade hit's the market, heck no!

Cellphone sales run the same sales gimmick and price life as New Cars. You buy the latest and greatest...your wallet is gonna feel the pain!...However, if you wait, let the smoke settle, allow the kinks to get worked out of the hardware and software, let the prices start falling and maybe even find someone who didn't like it, and sell you a "used" one with 'low mileage." You then just "cut a fat hog in the a**!" like my colorful father-in-law would say. :-)

Most importantly, for me, it let's that little child in me that is crying, "I want, I want, I want" settle down and then I can clearly answer the question "but, do I need it?"

my two pennies on this topic.

In the end...to each his own! That's what makes this forum great-'you can take what you use and leave the rest!'
    crackavelli likes this.
    05-01-11 09:40 PM
    Wouldn't that be OS7 lite?
    It could be, but I would hope 7 hold more fun that can't be seen with the 9650. That's why I say OS7 for the new BBs and OS6.1 for the older ones that can handle it. But with the name change I doubt the 9650 will see OS6.1 lite. Maybe a few more OS6.0 updates and that's about all. I really thought the 9650 would see a lite version at one time but it's looking less likely.
    05-01-11 09:54 PM

Let the flaming begin.
    No flames here! I'm with you... as long as whatever OS is on my phone enables it to do what it needs to do for me, I'm fine. I didn't even bother to upgrade to OS6 when I saw the feedback from other forum members.... just didn't want to be bothered with the glitches when the OS I had already was working fine.

Smartphones are like any other computers in that sense...there's always a limit to how much new software you can put on an older build of hardware before you start to see slowdowns and crashes. If your system's not broken, no need to fix it!
    05-01-11 10:20 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD