Hi guys, I just got my Bold and I'm loving it. Decided not to wait for the Onyx and get my hands on this baby. However once I turn my Bold on it says 3G beside the reception bars on top. Does that mean I'm connected to the internet? I don't have BIS/dataplan enabled and I would prefer that it doesn't connect me straight away.

Also, another thing, the moment I access the browser it connects me to the internet. My previous Nokia E71 prompts me on what network to connect to. How do I choose other means of connection, ie. wifi or gprs instead of 3G?

Thanks in advance for the help! =)
    Last edited by ezede; 10-12-09 at 08:54 AM.
    10-12-09 08:51 AM
    I believe 3G is a type of connection, its just a stronger one. I'm not sure why you would want to turn 3G off, but you can change the browser to hotspot by going to browser>options>General options and selcting the hotspot browser. You ONLY use data when you open up the browser or a data app.
    10-12-09 08:55 AM
    If you're on AT&T then you have a BIS data plan whether you want it or not. The phone is always connected to the mobile network (unless you turn it off), but as stated above you will only use data when you use an app that requires it.

To select a different connection, go to Manage Connections and you can set up a WiFi connection and connect to the internet via WiFi (when selecting Hotspot Browser as stated above).
    10-12-09 09:10 AM
    Thanks guys!

So that means it says 3g beside the reception bars but I'll not be using any data right?
    10-12-09 09:33 AM
    That is correct

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 09:43 AM
    3G is the mobile phone antennae connection type. Others it may display are EDGE (aka 2G) and edge. In that order it is the speed of the connection. It uses this for both voice (phone) connections and data.
    As PP said, you can use the 'connections' icon to select whether you wish phone, WiFi or Bluetooth enabled. For WiFi you can further select which network (server, or WiFi router) you connect to, with any passwords to connect.
    Also, as the PP said, if you're on AT&T you have a default BIS data plan at $30/month which provides unlimited internet and data connection, including email through the BIS server.
    You're not using data until you open a browser, whcih immediately connects, or an application (like Pandora streaming music) which makes a connection to the internet.
    10-12-09 09:50 AM
    I have AT&T and can turn off 3G if I wish. (maybe to save battery power)

Options ---> Mobile Network ---> Network Mode

There I can select "2G" or "2G & 3G".
    10-12-09 10:31 AM
    i always am only on 2g, unless i surf the net
    10-12-09 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD