I don't subscribe to this laser guided trackball business anyway. Why put in on the jav and not the flagship bold? I think the trackball in the current jav, and the one on cnn are the same. Sombody prove me wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 06:05 PM
    I think carsmovies is correct.
    12-04-08 08:21 PM
    You guys are so funny. You guys are all just speculating without any real inside information. Time will prove me right. I'll make the above posters a deal. If they are proven right I'll paypal them each $20 but if I'm proven correct they send me $20 each. Deal?
    12-04-08 08:26 PM
    Okay, you all send me the money, and I will be the referee. Money will be distributed to the winner. I promise.
    12-04-08 08:45 PM
    Okay, you all send me the money, and I will be the referee. Money will be distributed to the winner. I promise.
    lol. ;

12-04-08 08:47 PM
    Sorry guys but the atomic ball will not work in the bold. The pics that you've seen is just a plain black ball and not the atomic ball and assembly in the javelin. It's different technology and is more than just a black ball.
    Sorry, but yes the atomic trackball will work in the Bold along with other models. I know this firsthand and also heres some pics to go a long with it. pics of a Bold & 8900, with their TB's switched around. Better go check your source again.
    Check post #57
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/pi...99/index3.html
    12-05-08 06:16 AM
    It would be a smart move to put a TB in that lasts longer. Then again they might not sell has many phones when the break.
    I went through 3 TB on one curve. The last one I had not only the TB trashed but the ability for it to pop back up. Which is why I have a bold from the upgrade program.
    Now this one is screwing up. It stops scrolling down some times. Feels like something is jammed.
    I have only had this bold for maybe 2 weeks now. And all I know it isn't a easy job to change the TB in the Bold like it was on the curve.
    So if they have some thing that works better let them re tool and give its consumers something that lasts.

12-05-08 07:06 AM
    Sorry, but yes the atomic trackball will work in the Bold along with other models. I know this firsthand and also heres some pics to go a long with it. pics of a Bold & 8900, with their TB's switched around. Better go check your source again.
    Check post #57

is that the atomic trackball ? it looks like it has some kind of lines on it or something
    12-05-08 08:57 AM
    HAs anyone actually replaced thier trackball on thier Bold with this one?

Does it work any better or does it just look cool?
    12-05-08 09:35 AM
    HAs anyone actually replaced thier trackball on thier Bold with this one?

Does it work any better or does it just look cool?
    Some people have. Search this forum for pictures. As far as I know it's mostly a cosmetic change. If there is any improvement, it's likely something you won't see rather than an obvious change.
    12-05-08 09:40 AM
    Put you money were your mouth is or shut up. Those pics are simply of a black trackball with the old roller assembly put into a bold. The atomic trackball is not called atomic cause it's black. It's got a different name cause it's not using rollers but lasers and magnetics to pickup the ball movement and these sensors do not fit into the older including bold bb's.
    You sir, need to think for a bit. What would be easier for RIM to do? Re-use an existing assembly with a different ball and put new tracking devices on the motherboard of the phone to help it track better.... OR.... Retool everything on the trackball assembly AND change the way the ball is tracked on the board. Not to mention, the ball is plastic and therefore not magnetic, and laser/optical sensors aren't really going to be able to pick up if the ball is pressed on. How do you propose the ball would even be held in place? Magic???? It still has to have a MECHANICAL assembly to keep the ball where it's supposed to be. It makes perfect sense from a manufacturing standpoint to just reuse the same assembly from the other BB's, make the changes to the tracking system on the motherboard and change the color of the ball to make it easier for the motherboard to track.

I hate when people don't think.
    12-05-08 11:17 AM
    Check post #57

Ok here's the scoop that I myself just found out. I was partly wrong and so were you. Yes the black trackball of the Javelin 8900 can and will work in the bold but here's the kicker. The black trackball in the Javelin is actually NOT the ATOMIC trackball. The atomic trackball is something that RIM is working on still and will hopefully make it into a future device.

So ppl have to stop calling the Javelin trackball the atomic trackball and simply call it the black trackball cause that's all it is.
    12-05-08 11:21 AM
    This thread name needs to be changed be removing the word "Atomic".
    12-05-08 11:29 AM
    I have updated the thread as requested by carsmovies. If the OP has any concerns, I have not review everything in here and it is subject to correction again.
    12-05-08 12:35 PM
    I am just worried that this black ball issue is going to scare away all the white balls.

12-05-08 12:43 PM
    I am just worried that this black ball issue is going to scare away all the white balls.

Once you go black you never go back. Lol.
    12-05-08 12:45 PM
    Ok here's the scoop that I myself just found out. I was partly wrong and so were you. Yes the black trackball of the Javelin 8900 can and will work in the bold but here's the kicker. The black trackball in the Javelin is actually NOT the ATOMIC trackball. The atomic trackball is something that RIM is working on still and will hopefully make it into a future device.

So ppl have to stop calling the Javelin trackball the atomic trackball and simply call it the black trackball cause that's all it is.
    So, who was right?

12-05-08 02:28 PM
    So, who was right?

About what?
    12-05-08 02:43 PM
    no one was... so you all owe me $20. nice!
    12-05-08 03:21 PM
    no one was... so you all owe me $20. nice!
    I have not received money fro either contestants, no cash will be distributed.

I wish the black ball isn't almost three times the price of the white ball... I really want it though, my dirty white balls is grossing me out a little.
    Last edited by chiefroastbeef; 12-05-08 at 06:32 PM.
    12-05-08 06:29 PM
    I can't wait to roll them black balls.

12-05-08 08:23 PM
    About what?
    I said the javelins ball was either the newfangled atomic trackball or it wasn't, and that it couldn't be that it wasn't the atomic now but will be later as you suggested.

So, essentially, I was right

In any case, I wouldn't blame CNN.CN for misinformation and false advertising. It was RIM who hyped the Javelin as having the new Atomic Trackball. It's not our faults if they hyped it and then released an "almost-Atomic" trackball and everyone's calling it by the name RIM hyped. If anything, then, it's RIM who is guilty of misinformation and false advertising.

Last edited by Lost_Cosmonaut; 12-05-08 at 09:16 PM.
    12-05-08 09:10 PM
    I said the javelins ball was either the newfangled atomic trackball or it wasn't, and that it couldn't be that it wasn't the atomic now but will be later as you suggested.

So, essentially, I was right

In any case, I wouldn't blame CNN.CN for misinformation and false advertising. It was RIM who hyped the Javelin as having the new Atomic Trackball. It's not our faults if they hyped it and then released an "almost-Atomic" trackball and everyone's calling it by the name RIM hyped. If anything, then, it's RIM who is guilty of misinformation and false advertising.

When and where did RIM ever say the 8900 has an atomic trackball? I believe that was a rumour started by someone on a forum.
    12-05-08 09:42 PM
    Oh for pete's sake just let it go people. They sell a black trackball that can be used on the Bold. Who gives a flying flip what it's called?

12-05-08 10:37 PM
    Oh for pete's sake just let it go people. They sell a black trackball that can be used on the Bold. Who gives a flying flip what it's called?

Of course it matters what you call it cause if you call it the atomic trackball you are supposed to be refering to a trackball with new technology. So let's call an apple an apple and an orange an orange so as not to confuse them.
    12-05-08 10:42 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD