So it seems that the atomic trackball can be used on the bold.
    Has anyone tried it yet?

I'll probably get it and give it a shot when CNN is back in stock.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 05:17 PM
    So it seems that the atomic trackball can be used on the bold.
    Has anyone tried it yet?

I'll probably get it and give it a shot when CNN is back in stock.

I will definately try it when Cnn.cn is back in stock. My current one works fine..although it's a little "gritty". I will be interesting to see what the hype is about...
    12-03-08 05:18 PM
    Sorry guys but the atomic ball will not work in the bold. The pics that you've seen is just a plain black ball and not the atomic ball and assembly in the javelin. It's different technology and is more than just a black ball.
    12-03-08 05:22 PM
    Sorry guys but the atomic ball will not work in the bold. The pics that you've seen is just a plain black ball and not the atomic ball and assembly in the javelin. It's different technology and is more than just a black ball.
    BlackBerry Curve 8900 OEM trackball- LG, Nokia, Motorola, Dopod/O2, 3G, Accessories Store, Acer, Microsoft, SonyErics

to coles note it: Known as the atomic trackball, this also works on all previous trackball equipped smartphones. However, you will lose the glowing effect if installed
    12-03-08 05:34 PM
    thats gonna look bad@ss on my bold
    12-03-08 05:41 PM
    BlackBerry Curve 8900 OEM trackball- LG, Nokia, Motorola, Dopod/O2, 3G, Accessories Store, Acer, Microsoft, SonyErics

to coles note it: Known as the atomic trackball, this also works on all previous trackball equipped smartphones. However, you will lose the glowing effect if installed
    as you can clearly see in that pic the mechanics are the same as the white balls. In other words, it's not the true atomic ball but just a black ball put into the old style mechanical assembly. The atomic ball uses magnetic technology and not the rollers like the original. This was done for longevity.

The true atomic trackball will not work or even fit into other BB's.
    12-03-08 06:05 PM
    I can't wait for it to be in stock either, I'm getting tired of a yellow nasty trackball.
    12-03-08 06:12 PM
    as you can clearly see in that pic the mechanics are the same as the white balls. In other words, it's not the true atomic ball but just a black ball put into the old style mechanical assembly. The atomic ball uses magnetic technology and not the rollers like the original. This was done for longevity.

And how do you know this? The disassembly video of the Javelin shows the exact same trackball assembly as the one CNN.CN sells as the "atomic trackball".

And besides, the rumor was the atomic trackball was going to be laser, not magnetic.
    12-03-08 07:01 PM
    And how do you know this? The disassembly video of the Javelin shows the exact same trackball assembly as the one CNN.CN sells as the "atomic trackball".

And besides, the rumor was the atomic trackball was going to be laser, not magnetic.
    Cause I know someone that works at RIM.
    12-03-08 08:45 PM
    As per cnn.cn, the atomic trackball is the same trackball used on all previous devices.

12-03-08 10:24 PM
    As per cnn.cn, the atomic trackball is the same trackball used on all previous devices.

That's right. It's the same trackball as on previous models and not the new atomic trackball. They really should be calling it the atomic trackball.
    12-03-08 10:58 PM
    You don't think they spray painted/sharpied the trackball black like they do to the black bezel do ya?
    12-04-08 12:53 AM
    who knows, it still looks awesome
    12-04-08 12:59 AM

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/pi...tml#post895939
    12-04-08 08:03 AM
    What's your point. That was a pre-production Javelin and they didn't have the true atomic trackballs in them yet. Time will prove me right when you get a real production Javelin and try to do the swap.
    12-04-08 08:40 AM
    What's an "atomic" trackball anyway? It's just a black trackball. What's the big deal? The one on cnn.cc works for all devices. Who cares if it's not the exact same one that will ship on the jav (if that's even correct). As long as it's black and works who cares? You can call it atomic, black, or even sharpie ball for all I care.
    12-04-08 09:10 AM
    i bet a black trackball would look awesome on a bold...
    the bold is too masculine to sport a white trackball!
    ------my opinion-----
    i doubt RIM wouldnt name the new trackball "ATOMIC" just because its black.. im pretty sure there something more to it because the point of the new trackball is too keep from building up dust and causing rolling problems like on previous trackballs and also to keep it from getting dirty and nasty....
    thats my understanding from the research i have done
    Last edited by enyahs_shayne09; 12-04-08 at 09:24 AM.
    12-04-08 09:17 AM
    What's an "atomic" trackball anyway? It's just a black trackball. What's the big deal? The one on cnn.cc works for all devices. Who cares if it's not the exact same one that will ship on the jav (if that's even correct). As long as it's black and works who cares? You can call it atomic, black, or even sharpie ball for all I care.
    'Atomic' is the new design that uses lasers instead of rollers to keep track of the ball. Just like on computer mice it will make it more precise and less sensitive to dirt and grime.

It will work better and feel better then the current Bold trackball.
    12-04-08 12:41 PM
    'Atomic' is the new design that uses lasers instead of rollers to keep track of the ball. Just like on computer mice it will make it more precise and less sensitive to dirt and grime.

It will work better and feel better then the current Bold trackball.
    It actually uses not just lasers but magnetics as well. Because of this new technology they had to make the ball black. It wasn't for cosmetics.
    12-04-08 01:10 PM
    wait for the next iteration. I'm sure they will be using this atomic trackball on future versions.

I don't believe the Bold sports the hardware to actually use the atomic trackball since its not just a cosmetic move.
    12-04-08 01:16 PM
    wait for the next iteration. I'm sure they will be using this atomic trackball on future versions.

I don't believe the Bold sports the hardware to actually use the atomic trackball since its not just a cosmetic move.
    You got it.
    12-04-08 02:19 PM
    It actually uses not just lasers but magnetics as well. Because of this new technology they had to make the ball black. It wasn't for cosmetics.
    How does the color of the ball effect its magnetic properties?

I was under the impression that it was black both to reduce the visibility of dirt and to enable the lasers to track it better. Much like the way an optical mouse will work better on a dark background then a light reflective one.
    12-04-08 02:47 PM
    How does the color of the ball effect its magnetic properties?

I was under the impression that it was black both to reduce the visibility of dirt and to enable the lasers to track it better. Much like the way an optical mouse will work better on a dark background then a light reflective one.
    I believe you're right about it having to be black cause of the laser pick-up but I've been told there's also magnetics in play here.
    12-04-08 03:29 PM
    Well, the Javelin is out in several places (just not the US). Why in the world would they put a different trackball in early releases verses later releases especially when you guys are saying there will be a hardware and software change to support the new type of trackball? That makes 0 business sense, since new hardware will require trashing everything you already have to make the changes. Not only that, but it also makes 0 sense to have a different trackball on a practically production-ready pre-production model. The only differences between the pre-production Bolds and production Bolds were the use of better quality plastics for the production model.

Having to retool the whole setup just to change one or two minor things is stupid. I can understand the 8900 either not having the new trackball, or having the new trackball, but I can't understand it not having the new trackball initially and then having the new trackball later. That would cost RIM tons of money in the long run and just not be worth it. If that's the case, why not put the same changes in the Bolds once it comes to the Javelin? It'd be the same amount of work.

2 + 2 just isn't equaling 5 here.
    12-04-08 05:06 PM
    rumours and speculation. My money is on a black ball, same setup as the previous versions. The setup is cheap, proven to work minor flaws. I think Lost Cosmonaut has hit the nail on the head.
    12-04-08 05:39 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD