Well I was loving my 9930 until last nite. I woke up for a phone call really late. Around 2am. I finished the call and wanted to go back to sleep. Looked at my BB and it was about half way charged with a black plug in the battery icon. I unplugged the bb oem charger and tried again and got a message saying "this charger is not compatable with you bb".

Wtf. Tried different outlets, different cords, etc. All had a black cord icon.

I did a batt pull and it started charging after reboot. BUT, I woke up this morning and checked to see if it was charged, and it was, but the black icon was back again. Please tell me how to fix this. The problem is all of a sudden. I'm running the latest OS from vzw and have a few apps like vingo, fb. Tune in radio, pandora, telenav, and that's about it.

Any ideas. Don't wanna have to do a batt pull everytime I charged and pray that it works. The otterbox is a pita to remove and the soft reset key combo does not work on my phone. No idea why
    Any help is welcome!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-11 06:59 AM
    pull the battery and report back where the battery was "further processed" I may have some fixes based on this info. this info is located on the back of the battery.
    11-06-11 07:05 AM
    11-06-11 07:13 AM
    That has no answer?

11-06-11 07:36 AM
    That has no answer?

FYI for anyone who may read this in the future. Verizon sent me a new battery and that fixed the problem, as I thought it might...

No water damage or anything to the old battery, so no specifics on what may have caused it.
    Pretty sure that qualifies as an answer...
    11-06-11 07:58 AM
    Another person said they got a new batt and it didn't fix their issue...

11-06-11 08:02 AM
    Did you try the charger or maybe have a old one?

I had the same problem while useing the new charger which came with the bold.. since then i dont use that charger anymore and only use one from pervious models.
    I also noticed the USB, which came with the new charger, is somewhat hard to fit into the plug-in location on the bold.
    11-06-11 08:07 AM
    I just had the best tech support I've ever had. My new battery will here by Wed of this week. Hopefully the new battery solves the problem. Great teir 2 blcackberry support. Very impressed!

11-06-11 08:29 AM
    Pretty sure that qualifies as an answer...
    If you read a couple of posts after the "answer", the same guy says the problem surfaced even with the new battery...
    11-06-11 11:45 AM
    Did you try the charger or maybe have a old one?

I had the same problem while useing the new charger which came with the bold.. since then i dont use that charger anymore and only use one from pervious models.
    I also noticed the USB, which came with the new charger, is somewhat hard to fit into the plug-in location on the bold.
    That's what I have noticed too... the supplied mini cube charger has some difficulties charging the phone compared to the old wall chargers. Pretty sure this is true because I have 3-4 of these mini cube chargers and they all have difficulties at times charging the phone to 100%. The old charger never has a problem...

As for everyone having this black plug icon, do you guys have wi-fi on when charging?

11-06-11 11:52 AM
    Yea. Wifi was on....

11-06-11 01:05 PM
    I'm "the guy". There is no solution yet, I have tried everything. First, a new device sans battery, didn't work. Then a new battery w. the new device, same issue. Same issue before and after the new OS update (I'm on Verizon). I've tried 4 different charges, with nothing.

I doubt your new battery will fix it, though do let us know if it does.

Also, post here to keep the thread going and maybe someone at RIM will grab on to it:

9930: this icon shows and micro USB stops working - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    11-07-11 10:45 AM
    Doesn't the black plug icon just mean that the phone has finished charging? If it's not at 100% at the point the icon shows up, that sounds like a defective battery to me... though I suppose it could also be a software issue...
    11-07-11 11:05 AM
    I think it might be a software issue... I've noticed that when I get this black plug that MeterBerry reports in the battery log that the battery is full. Black plug icon generally does mean the battery is at 100%, but you can definitely see the battery icon itself is not completely white (full). Usually a restart will fix this, however in some instances if I turn off the radio and wi-fi and leave it connected for a minute it would switch back to charging.

I wonder if turning off radio and wi-fi BEFORE connecting to the charger is a workaround for this.
    11-07-11 11:25 AM
    Not a defective battery. Have tried two from verizon and a third from another bb. A restart or battery pull always fixes it.

Also, its not that the battery is being recognized as fully charged. Every time it is attempted after the one charge you get after a restart, it then gives you the "this charger isn't supplying enough power to charge device" (paraphrased) error...

I'm almost certain it is a software issue. In the other thread I started, someone claimed that a recent WIND update fixed his.
    11-07-11 01:21 PM
    Was just in the middle of a charge and all of a sudden the charging lightning icon turned into the black plug icon! Quickly turned off the radio... nothing. Then I turned off wi-fi and about 30 seconds the black plug turned back into the lightning!
    11-07-11 10:48 PM
    This is crazy! I really want this phone, but damn the issues. I m just going to do it! Buy the phone and try for myself.
    11-07-11 10:50 PM
    .. as far as i know and please correct me if i'm wrong, it is an OS issue.. if a restart/reboot/batterypull can cure the issue, then it is hardly a hardware issue... this usually happen to me if i charge my battery below 10%..

.. one other common issue, if you charge your battery (after reboot like thee above mentioned issue) and then you turn off the phone, the next morning when the phone is turned on you will find the charger is stuck at 98% (some at 96% some at 97%).. when you unplug and then plug it in again, you will get 99+ after 2 seconds.. CMIIW, that is OS issue and hardly a hardware issue...

I can live with that... can you?
    Last edited by tda_tda; 11-08-11 at 01:06 AM.
    11-08-11 01:02 AM
    I'm pretty sure it is not a hardware issue, cause when I revert back to stock OS, for eg. .261, I will not encounter this kind of problem... however when I use any OS above .300, this issue will surface... I always have to restart in order to resume normal charging... I can do this over 3 to 4 times a day, depending if I want to charge it or not...

However, I have not try the method where you turn off wifi and mobile network... Will try it later...
    11-09-11 03:10 AM
    Blink is the cause...remove it and it will be fine! =) Cheers!
    01-13-12 11:12 AM
    Blink is the cause...remove it and it will be fine! =) Cheers!
    Can anyone confirm this allegation?
    02-20-12 03:23 PM
    I'm just an observer, but the other thread that was linked from this one had 3 or 4 people respond saying that Blink was in fact the problem. Remove it, and it does solve the problem apparently. They're recommending you use Advance OS and LED instead. Give it a try, you generally don't have anything to lose from uninstalling an app, right?
    02-20-12 03:57 PM
    Was just in the middle of a charge and all of a sudden the charging lightning icon turned into the black plug icon! Quickly turned off the radio... nothing. Then I turned off wi-fi and about 30 seconds the black plug turned back into the lightning!
    This happens to me once or twice a month. The lightening bolt will turn into a plug, and the charge is not near complete.

I unplug the charger and and put it back in, and it starts charging.

I don't have Blink on my phone.
    02-20-12 08:48 PM
    This happens to me once or twice a month. The lightening bolt will turn into a plug, and the charge is not near complete.

I unplug the charger and and put it back in, and it starts charging.

I don't have Blink on my phone.
    I noticed with the latest 7.1 leak that this still happens... except that without unplugging the charger if you wait a bit it'll go back to charging!
    02-20-12 09:59 PM
    I had this happen only once, and I was still on 7.0.0.585. I am now using the leaked 7.1.0.267. I just took out the usb cord from the phone, and put it back in. Voila! gone lol I can't say for sure what causes it though, like my brother's 9930, he hasn't had a problem with his. Maybe because he bought an engineer unit perhaps?
    02-20-12 10:06 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD