After reading the post - http://darkstar.x10host.com/nibble/

Regarding security I was more aware that this phone has still 3 strong and secure points - Calls, SMS and MP3 player.

I was thinking to use also email - and in the article above there is plenty of ways to still do a lot of things.

But regarding to email my question is more specific.

If I send and email - "hello world" to a friend the lack of security can make this email readable by someone that is investing is energy in hacking the connection.

That I understood.

Now, it's just the email content that can be hacked or also the user and password credentials to the smtp server that sends the email?

I hope I was clear.

Regards.
    10-25-19 02:56 PM
    hacking the connection.
    No one is looking to hack the connection of single BlackBerry users unless there's a large incentive, the target there would generally be the email service itself, in which case the device (no matter which it is) isn't really going to save you. But, yes. The failures in older TLS versions could reveal anything transmitted.
    10-25-19 03:13 PM
    Thanks for the reply,

Ok so I misunderstood ,using email it's safe, even with a TLS outdated,

This only applies to browsing where doing important transactions is highly not recommended.

But one of my priorities is not browsing, I don't' have Facebook, Twitter and other social distractions.

But email for me is quite of handy.

Is that correct?
    10-25-19 03:29 PM
    Ok so I misunderstood ,using email it's safe, even with a TLS outdated,
    'Safe' depends on whether or not you think you're important enough to hack. Generally, it's considered 'not safe' and 'not suggested' but the chances of it happening to random people is pretty slim.
    10-25-19 03:34 PM
    Thanks,

So but this applies to everyone, even a email sent from a KeyOne can be hacked if you are a important dude.

Right?
    10-25-19 03:50 PM
    Thanks,

So but this applies to everyone, even a email sent from a KeyOne can be hacked if you are a important dude.

Right?
    It's my site. I put the warning there because it would be irresponsible to suggest to people that using TLS 1.0 is perfectly okay.

Using a BlackBerry 7 device is about the same as using a Windows 7 computer that hasn't had an update since about 2012. You probably wouldn't do that. I wouldn't.

So I added the disclaimer. Think about what you use your email account for. Do you really want someone else to be able to read up on your financial transactions? What if they were able to obtain your password? Use your email to reset passwords on other accounts? Have fun with your Amazon account?

If you're interested in the TLS 1.0 vulnerabilities, have a look at this site: https://www.globalsign.com/en/blog/disable-tls-10-and-all-ssl-versions/

On the other hand, if you have a separate email account that you don't use for financial purposes, the risk may not be a big issue.
    10-25-19 08:19 PM
    There are three types of email service available for BBOS devices:

1) BIS Native Email.

2) BIS External Email.

3) LogicMail app.

BIS stands for BlackBerry Internet Service (commonly called BlackBerry Data Plan). It is still easily available across Canada from all major carriers, but is not available any more in many other countries.

BIS Native Email runs on BlackBerry Ltd's servers. It is only available with POP3 protocol. The address is:

yourname_at_yourcarrier_dot_blackberry_dot_net

BIS External Email can be linked to your ISP's email service, Gmail, Outlook, etc. The protocol can be either IMAP or POP3, the server address can be edited by the user.

LogicMail is an email app which does not require BIS and will run on any 3G network (not sure about 2G).

Email security profile is different for each of those three solutions.

Sent from my BB 9320 using CB Forums app on Bell Canada BIS
    Last edited by Lex24; 10-26-19 at 02:37 PM.
    10-25-19 10:40 PM
    Thanks for your reply, the article cleared up some of my questions.
    10-26-19 05:38 AM
    Here in Portugal we don't have BIS - Vodafone and other companies disabled it already. So I will have to use LogicMail - Do you know how safe is LogicMail?
    10-26-19 05:40 AM
    There are three types of email service available for BBOS devices:

1) BIS Native Email.

2) BIS External Email.

3) LogicMail app.

Email security profile is different for each of those three solutions.

Sent from my BB 9320 using CB Forums app on Bell Canada BIS
    Fair points. Since the OP was citing my website, which is about using the Bold without BIS, I assumed that he was intending to use the device without BIS.

That may or may not be true, so the clarification may of use to him.

That being said, I haven't heard of the Bold 9900 getting any updates in years (and I'm not sure the Claro Argentina version of OS 7.1.0.1098 contains any meaningful updates from the earlier O2 UK version), and as far as I know, BlackBerry has not addressed certain vulnerabilities (like FREAK). Given the closed-source nature of the OS, the lack of information provided by BlackBerry, and the likelihood that there's a skeleton crew running what's left of the BIS operation, it's anyone's guess whether BIS-enabled devices remain secure.
    10-26-19 01:24 PM