Hi Guys, wonder if you can help me with a problem. I have a BB Bold connected to Vodafone, I do not have the BIS service connected as the SIm is a company sim, and they are deciding whether to give me this service (pay scale etc etc).

What i did in the past was to configure my iPhone to except emails via pop that i setup in my MS outlook (rule forwarding) so i was not using the BB Enterprise service. I belived the the BB was the same until I found out it needs this BIS to get pop emails, what a pain.

Am i correcting in saying that only the provider can turn this service on. And also as i have not got BIS running does that also mean I am not getting WIFI ?

And can someone tell me more about these SERVICE BOOKS ? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for any help
    Paggy36.
    08-15-09 08:02 AM
    WiFi has nothing to do with BIS. Service books are sent automatically. You can only get push e-mail via the BIS or BES plan.
    08-15-09 08:03 AM
    Ok Thanks Sith for the quick reply, so can you tell me why my WIFI icon is greyed out. ?

Thanks
    08-15-09 08:07 AM
    Does it say the WiFi network name? If so you are connected. Icon will light up when connected to RIM and the WiFi
    08-15-09 08:08 AM
    Ok yes it does, your right I get my network name. what is RIM.

Thanks again Sith.
    08-15-09 08:10 AM
    Thats the BlackBerry network through the BIS/BES plan
    08-15-09 08:12 AM
    ok That answers most of my qusetions i suppose. But there is no way I can download email from a pop account without BIS is there ?

Thanks
    08-15-09 08:18 AM
    Do you have the option of setting up a personal email? (go to Setup then Personal email setup).

Why can't you just set one up and forward email from your work outlook to that address?

I guess I am confused what email (if any) you have. You say it is a work SIM but I guess you are not connected to email through their BES.

Do you have a data plan? Can you use BMM or send PIN messages?

Mine is my personal device and imy work pays my unlimited data plan. They ooked it up through the corporate BES and then I set up my personal email as I stated above, which is BIS.

Your provider should have a BIS website that you can also go to from your PC to set up your personal email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 08:34 AM
    Paggy - FWIW, this is very different from the iPhone stuff. If I correctly understand what you want, the short answer is NO it will not work.

RIM's excellent email functionality is dependent on using their (RIM's) environment. You have 2 ways into that environment - (1) BES where your company has control of the connection between them and RIM; or (2) BIS where you have a contract with Vodaphone to connect YOU directly to RIM's environment. Once you have either of these, RIM will send down Service Books which tell your phone how to act and what it can do.

As Sith stated, the WiFi is a separate question, but still needs the BES or BIS option to use RIM's environment for email.

You can look around to see if someone else has an email client that does not use service books.
    08-15-09 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD