I have been enjoying my 9780 for months now and has not encountered much problems until yesterday.

Background:

I am usually on 2G to save battery as I am out without a charger in tow for most of the time.

I live on a three-storey house so signal has never been a problem to me.

I am on postpaid and has an outstanding record as far as my account is concerned.

I havent installed anything on my phone for 1 1/2 weeks now since I am running a very hectic schedule this past few days.

My dilemma started yesterday when my phone's signal indicated GSM - which only meant I am not connected to BIS. I went out for lunch and my signal was back to normal. I was on the mall until 6PM. When I returned home, I noticed I was on GSM again. I switched to 2G, but to no avail. I tried 3G and BIS came back. I thought that was just weird.

I called my service provider (Smart Communications - Philippines) and according to the CSRs that I've spoken with, my account is okay and it might be my phone's settings which might be causing my woes. I told them that my phone has been doing fine for months now without any major hiccups or glitches. It seems they are clueless with regard to my problem.

Actions taken:

They (Smart) had sent me service books couple of times since last night.

I've unchecked-checked my mobile network. It will just indicate that it is On but it used to be the name of my network which is Smart Gold 3G.

I've manually searched for a network and then chose my service provider.

I've taken out my sim and re-inserted it.

I did battery pulls for more than I can count.

I've registered and re-registered my host routing tables.

Yet, my problem remains the same - I have BIS when I am on 3G but none when on 2G.

I have Google-d my problem and the internet was not much of a help.

Please do note that this problem only occurs when I am home. Anywhere else, my BIS connection is fine on 2G.

Any inputs will be much appreciated.

07-03-11 07:08 AM
    From what you say you do not have the best of coverage and it is possible that some issue with the tower has decreased you services even more. Might be a temp thing as you were fine the weeks before.
    07-03-11 09:26 AM
    GSM means you don't have 2G signal, GSM only allows calls and sms, so you have no data access.

If your BIS would be disconnected your signal would show as gprs or edge instead of GPRS or EDGE for when BIS is connected.

It's a signal problem not a blackberry problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-11 02:34 PM
    Also it sounds like in your particular location you only have 3G signal hence why your signal switches to gsm.

07-03-11 02:35 PM
    a majority of blackberry users in trinidad & tobago, including me, has this problem also. the only difference is we don't have a 3G network here. occasionally and randomly during the day, my EDGE would change to GSM, depending on what area i'm in. my service provider (TSTT) cannot provide substantial information about this issue. we're left to wonder and suffer.
    07-04-11 08:31 AM
    a majority of blackberry users in trinidad & tobago, including me, has this problem also. the only difference is we don't have a 3G network here. occasionally and randomly during the day, my EDGE would change to GSM, depending on what area i'm in. my service provider (TSTT) cannot provide substantial information about this issue. we're left to wonder and suffer.
    It's simple my friends, where your signal shows GSM you don't have data coverage, BIS or any other data.
    Anybody that got their first mobile phones before data came out would remember the signal showing "GSM"

07-04-11 08:40 AM
    Hey! I live in Davao, and depending on my position and location inside my house, the signal would vary between 3G and GPRS, so I usually just turn on wifi and connect to my home network. So maybe in your case it's a signal problem. And yes, CSR's are not fully informed as well. 3 weeks ago it took me 3 calls to Globe's business hotline to find out that there was a problem with the data links between Luzon and vismin, hence the gprs signal anywhere in the city.

07-05-11 08:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD