A friend of mine imported a BB Bold 9650 from Verizon, it was brand new and it came with OS 5. I've updated it to the latest OS available from verizon. It registered fine with BIS from Orange Romania, bbm works fine, so does email but we're still experiencing some issues:
    1. The browser does not work properly. Most of the times it freezes on "Requesting.." or it says "Server communication failure". It does seem to work if you refresh it loads of times.
    2. The "EDGE" or 3G becomes "3g"/"edge" but, surprisingly, BBM still works while on "edge".
    3. The GPS triangulation does not work. Foursquare and Facebook Places do not work at all: foursquare app freezes on "Loading places" and facebook says "Location not available". Device GPS and location aiding are both activated.
    The rest of it works fine but these issues are really annoying and I can't understand whether is a software or hardware issue..
    I should also mentioned that the phone has an it policy on it and that I did a full restore from a 9300 backup file. Does that influence any of the issues described?
    07-22-11 03:30 AM
    Have you tried it on any other provider? I've used my Bold 9650 in three European countries (Germany, Austria, Italy) on three different carriers without any issues whatsoever. It should work...try resending service books, and if that doesn't help, wipe, reload OS and selectively restore items.
    07-22-11 12:20 PM
    Or get a device that is supported by your carrier.
    07-22-11 04:48 PM
    Or get a device that is supported by your carrier.
    A 9650 should work just as fine as a 9700/9780 or any other Blackberry on that network. Otherwise my device would have been completely useless on my last trip across the pond.
    07-22-11 06:34 PM
    I didn't say that it wouldn't work.

But rather than going through all the rigmarole of trying to get an unsupported device to work, it seems as though it would be MUCH more simple to just get a supported device.
    07-22-11 07:01 PM
    I didn't say that it wouldn't work.

But rather than going through all the rigmarole of trying to get an unsupported device to work, it seems as though it would be MUCH more simple to just get a supported device.
    True, but before shelling out lots of money for another device, it's best for the OP to exhaust all other options first.
    07-22-11 09:38 PM
    A friend of mine imported a BB Bold 9650 from Verizon, it was brand new and it came with OS 5. I've updated it to the latest OS available from verizon. It registered fine with BIS from Orange Romania, bbm works fine, so does email but we're still experiencing some issues:

1. The browser does not work properly. Most of the times it freezes on "Requesting.." or it says "Server communication failure". It does seem to work if you refresh it loads of times.

2. The "EDGE" or 3G becomes "3g"/"edge" but, surprisingly, BBM still works while on "edge".

3. The GPS triangulation does not work. Foursquare and Facebook Places do not work at all: foursquare app freezes on "Loading places" and facebook says "Location not available". Device GPS and location aiding are both activated.

The rest of it works fine but these issues are really annoying and I can't understand whether is a software or hardware issue..

I should also mentioned that the phone has an it policy on it and that I did a full restore from a 9300 backup file. Does that influence any of the issues described?

1&2 - This was a common issue for me with the official 6.0.0.524 release, its an issue with the phone getting frequently disconnected while a data operation is in progress under a GSM network. Sometimes the disconnection is imperceptible but it happens. Using a hybrid like OSBB 524v2 with .376 sfi fixed the issue (or use the leaked 6.0.0.466 release since this has the .376 sfi). If you would like something more current you could try OSBB 600v1 with .476 sfi, though using anything other than the .376 sfi means worse battery life (my observations with my device on a GSM network).

3 - I just noticed that you could "fix" this GPS issue with a 9650 under a GSM network by using a GPS program like GPS Logger II (free) or BlackBerry Maps and keep it running in the background before running foursquare. For some strange reason a real GPS program is needed to initialize the GPS and acquire a lock for an app like foursquare to work properly. I've waited for foursquare to acquire a lock for hours with no success but this "workaround" seems to do the trick.

If you have the time remove the policy by doing a Factory Reset using BBSAK. You can then, while you're at it, wipe the OS and load a more stable/better one. I've had quite a few interesting months with my 9650 on GSM and I'd be happy to spare you the headache of figuring it out by yourself.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    07-23-11 08:15 AM
    I have used mine unlocked by Verizion with other Sim cards and Verizion Sim cards all over the world. I tour with major music acts and we go everywhere. I have 2 Bolds 9650's both unlocked and never have i had a problem. What I really want is a new updated with latest technology phone from RIM. They need to get over the playbook and get back in the phone business or let someone else buy them and use their expertise. They have wasted almost 2 years.
    Culex316 likes this.
    07-23-11 05:22 PM
    1&2 - This was a common issue for me with the official 6.0.0.524 release, its an issue with the phone getting frequently disconnected while a data operation is in progress under a GSM network. Sometimes the disconnection is imperceptible but it happens. Using a hybrid like OSBB 524v2 with .376 sfi fixed the issue (or use the leaked 6.0.0.466 release since this has the .376 sfi). If you would like something more current you could try OSBB 600v1 with .476 sfi, though using anything other than the .376 sfi means worse battery life (my observations with my device on a GSM network).

3 - I just noticed that you could "fix" this GPS issue with a 9650 under a GSM network by using a GPS program like GPS Logger II (free) or BlackBerry Maps and keep it running in the background before running foursquare. For some strange reason a real GPS program is needed to initialize the GPS and acquire a lock for an app like foursquare to work properly. I've waited for foursquare to acquire a lock for hours with no success but this "workaround" seems to do the trick.

If you have the time remove the policy by doing a Factory Reset using BBSAK. You can then, while you're at it, wipe the OS and load a more stable/better one. I've had quite a few interesting months with my 9650 on GSM and I'd be happy to spare you the headache of figuring it out by yourself.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    I think the GPS issues are due to the fact that maybe the GSM carrier you're on at the moment doesn't support aGPS and thus, the phone itself has to manually gather the almanac/ephemeris data from the GPS satellites, which took QUITE a while in the narrow alleys of Europe, where you don't always get a clear view of the sky lol
    07-23-11 11:44 PM
    Hi...

Well about the issue you have with the browser, i know it's not the best solution for your problem but first thing you can do is to download opera mini and try to use it on your Blackberry to browse the internet... if you get the same problem with it you will know it's not the browser.

About the mobile network connection... Becuse you have unlocked your Blackberry you can try this:
    - Buy a Pre Paid SIM card of other Carrier in your area - make sure it's a Pre-paid with data included.
    - Make a full backup of your Blackberry
    - Update the service book and make the BIS working with your Pre-paid sim.

If it's working so you know it's a carrier issue.

if not you can find more options to set your Blackberry device in the right way to work with services.
    07-24-11 10:17 AM
    I think the GPS issues are due to the fact that maybe the GSM carrier you're on at the moment doesn't support aGPS and thus, the phone itself has to manually gather the almanac/ephemeris data from the GPS satellites, which took QUITE a while in the narrow alleys of Europe, where you don't always get a clear view of the sky lol
    The networks I'm on support Assisted GPS - now that I'm back on 6.0.0.524 with .376 sfi GPS lock speed is back to where I was happy with it before. In my case it probably was something with the Hybrid that I was using. The OP might be on a network without AGPS support, but upon further investigation I noticed something odd with foursquare 3.0.2 running on a 9650 under a GSM network. I've sent foursquare with my logs and I hope they can find out what the exact problem is since I cannot remedy it on my end.
    07-25-11 12:41 AM
    For browser and edge /EDGE issues on an unlocked device, the APN settings should be left unchecked.

This is in options, advanced options, tcp
    07-25-11 07:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD