It's a very good review, top class, and then the final paragraph repeats the worn out official mantras of the tech media. It's a pity. A good review though apart from that.

BlackBerry Bold 9900 review
    Last edited by CrackBerry Kevin; 08-11-11 at 11:22 AM.
    08-11-11 10:53 AM
    Who is BGR?
    08-11-11 10:54 AM
    Who is BGR?

Does this mean they were WRONG? (GASPS!)
    08-11-11 10:57 AM
    It's a very good review, top class, and then the final paragraph repeats the worn out official mantras of the tech media. It's a pity. A good review though apart from that.

BlackBerry Bold 9900 review
    I stopped taking Jonathan serious, and the funny part is while constantly bashing RIM I'm almost positive his personal Device is a Berry. Hence him saying he's had the bold for about a week. Really ?

via Nexus S 4G
    08-11-11 10:57 AM
    It is a decent review, and I wouldn't call if unfair in any respect. In short, for those disinclined to read: Best. BlackBerry. Ever. It gives BB users everything they've been asking for. Beautiful display, great keyboard, though the browser still comes up short. But it's still running BlackBerry OS. And (wait for it) . . . no autofocus.
    [email protected] likes this.
    08-11-11 10:59 AM

Does this mean they were WRONG? (GASPS!)
    BGR can....ummm......bite it. haha
    08-11-11 10:59 AM
    It's a very fine review. But he spends 90% of the review giving many VERY good reasons why someone would choose it over an iPhone 4 (email / communication / keyboard) and Galaxy S II (build quality, email, battery life, communication, email etc etc) and then reverts to the worn out dictums of the orthodox stance of the tech media. It's a good review, but it leaves me disappointed that Jonathan "chickened out" at the end rather than risk being ridiculed by the likes of Engadget.
    johnmarki and LewLew23 like this.
    08-11-11 11:02 AM
    Didn't expect much from BGR to be honest.

If anyone doesn't want to read the article I can summarize it for you.

"Greatest Blackberry yet, style is great, functionality is great, and it is amazing the battery life is still great even though there is a faster processor which allowed him to last 2 days. Most phones don't do that... BUT it is a blackberry and not an iPhone or Android so ignore the whole review above and don't buy it."
    Last edited by menaknow; 08-11-11 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added the battery part...
    08-11-11 11:02 AM
    I stopped taking Jonathan serious, and the funny part is while constantly bashing RIM I'm almost positive his personal Device is a Berry. Hence him saying he's had the bold for about a week. Really ?

via Nexus S 4G
    He's an iPhone 4 user. Maybe he also has a Blackberry? At one stage he did have iPhone and Blackberry but I think now it's iPhone 4 only.
    08-11-11 11:03 AM
    Haters will always hate.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    08-11-11 11:05 AM
    Who is BGR?
    Big Giant Rabbit
    homer1475 likes this.
    08-11-11 11:08 AM
    He's an iPhone 4 user. Maybe he also has a Blackberry? At one stage he did have iPhone and Blackberry but I think now it's iPhone 4 only.
    Yeah lets see for how long.

via Nexus S 4G
    08-11-11 11:09 AM
    What's annoying is that he's not a hater. He loves the 9900. But for some reason the weight of the orthodox stance among the tech media is such that he folds in the final paragraph and parrots its stock dogmas about RIM.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    08-11-11 11:10 AM
    He currently uses an iPhone 4 but he got started with BlackBerry and as with anyone that has a passion for them, he's going to be critical when they release a subpar product. Compared to his Torch review, this is a glowing review. I also believe that his agruments are valid, BlackBerry is seriously lacking in the media/app department.
    Nickerz and Kobol like this.
    08-11-11 11:10 AM
    Who is BGR?
    *snapping fingers* you remember bro, the guys who used to do excellent mobile reporting. Used to report and review from a non bias standpoint. Used to report from the bedroom and living room of their apartment then let that big company buy them. Then the main reporter/ninja left and now only reports on what the "market" says is good and/or bad. You remember them now right???
    Intosh likes this.
    08-11-11 11:14 AM
    "BlackBerry’s latest operating system, BlackBerry 7, isn’t a drastic change from the previous operating systems out of RIM. In fact, at the very basic level, it’s the same. Sure there are some different APIs and enhancements but at the end of the day this is, at the core, the same BlackBerry that you’ve been used to using."

Can't this same statement be said about iPhone or Android? Isn't that the point also, I mean you don't want to learn a completely new OS every time you upgrade your phone. I think RIM has come a LONG way from where they were only a year ago.
    08-11-11 11:14 AM
    [QUOTE=mikeconnors81;6559417]"BlackBerry
    08-11-11 11:22 AM
    "BlackBerry�s latest operating system, BlackBerry 7, isn�t a drastic change from the previous operating systems out of RIM. In fact, at the very basic level, it�s the same. Sure there are some different APIs and enhancements but at the end of the day this is, at the core, the same BlackBerry that you�ve been used to using."

Can't this same statement be said about iPhone or Android? Isn't that the point also, I mean you don't want to learn a completely new OS every time you upgrade your phone. I think RIM has come a LONG way from where they were only a year ago.
    He assumes that the speed and graphical attributes are all hardware based. That's why many Android makers simply have hardware numbers and reviewers flip over them - but it's just on paper or, like the SG2 designed explicitly to do well in those silly standardized tests that tech sites run! He doesn't get that the graphical and speed enhancements are as much software based as hardware and that's why the 9900 is quicker and more responsive scrolling with one core than my old Atrix with 2 cores. If it ws all hardware then we'd be looking at sub android battery life now from our 1200 mah battery. But with a much better processor, graphics chip etc it still rocks away for days on a single charge. He just doesn't get what RIM do OS wise. Take reviews of Gingerbread, they all spoke about the flash top and bottom when you scrolled to the top or bottom end! This is an upgrade! It's nothing of any meaning but gives the tech media something to name and get impressed about in a short one week experience of the device. RIM is doing crap, it's RIM's fault in the main, but a clueless tech media made up almost entirely of kids who fapp over hardware specs that don't mean anything aren't helping.
    mikeconnors81, Intosh and bAAx like this.
    08-11-11 11:22 AM
    Same dude that said SEPTEMBER.......
    08-11-11 11:25 AM
    I thought it was a good fair review. He definitely expressed what RIM did well, and expressed what was lacking in his opinion. I mean the guy absolutely said more positive things than not. This is clear & can't be disputed.

Bottom line is this is the best BlackBerry ever. But I agree with him, there is nothing on this device or in the software aside from email(which is mentioned) that makes it stand out over other devices that offer more and for the same price. That said of course I have one. )
    ADGrant, Nickerz and howarmat like this.
    08-11-11 11:34 AM
    I thought it was a good fair review. He definitely expressed what RIM did well, and expressed what was lacking in his opinion. I mean the guy absolutely said more positive things than not. This is clear & can't be disputed.

Bottom line is this is the best BlackBerry ever. But I agree with him, there is nothing on this device or in the software aside from email(which is mentioned) that makes it stand out over other devices that offer more and for the same price. That said of course I have one. )
    This bad boy is a beautiful piece of machinery. It doesn't look anything like an Iphone or an Iphone wannabe (Android.) That's why I love it.
    08-11-11 11:43 AM
    The level of hate sprayed at BGR on this site is staggering. I am a Blackberry owner and I agree with 98% of what he says on his site, I don't see how any logical human being could NOT agree with the stuff he's saying. He presents RIM in the light that it has created for itself, it's not his fault or any other tech site's fault. He expressed both positives and summed it up with one large glaring negative that will haunt RIM until they successfully launch QNX phones. Simple as that.
    Nickerz likes this.
    08-11-11 11:46 AM
    BGR's review only made me want the phone even more!!!!!!!!
    08-11-11 11:47 AM
    I think he flagged lots of things that make it stand out over the iPhone 4 and SG2 and so saying that there was nothing to make someone choose it over these two phones makes me disappointed in his review. He bottle it.

The 9900 has better build quality by a million miles than the SG2. Better email by a million miles, better messaging all round that both iPhone 4 and SG 2. Given that emailling and messaging is a very significant aspect of why people use cell phones I think there's a lot to make it stand out over the SG2 or iPhone 4. If I played games and video chatted more than I emailled and messaged I'd choose an iPhone 4 or SG2. But based simply on what BGR said I'd choose a 9900 every time.

This is what the review lacked for me. An acknowledgement that for many people (adults, for example) the 9900 could coherently be chosen over the iPhone 4 or SG2. It's not an inferior device to them, it's a valid choice for very many. I think, based on his review, he realizes this. Therefore him not saying it makes me disappointed as he seemed to bottle the final paragraph.
    dodger_moore and bigbmc26 like this.
    08-11-11 11:47 AM
    The level of hate sprayed at BGR on this site is staggering. I am a Blackberry owner and I agree with 98% of what he says on his site, I don't see how any logical human being could NOT agree with the stuff he's saying. He presents RIM in the light that it has created for itself, it's not his fault or any other tech site's fault. He expressed both positives and summed it up with one large glaring negative that will haunt RIM until they successfully launch QNX phones. Simple as that.
    The one large glaring negative being "it's a blackberry"?
    08-11-11 11:50 AM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD