So, I know that this (and many other topics like it.) have been covered MANY MANY MANY times before. But I still had a few questions I wanted to ask, after reading probably close to 50 posts about this subject.

I bought my Bold for a very cheap price, because it was used, and had lots of scratches on the bezel, I was fine with this because I wanted to see if I could unlock it (of which, seeing that it now works with an O2 or T-Mobile SIM card, I suceeded in doing.)

I've decided now that I want to fix the phone up a bit, I'm going to try and replace my bezel with the standard silver 'OEM' bezel but I've read a few posts in which the T5 screws have broken while taking the phone apart. I was wondering, even though I've read about it, if this was a common occurrence or not, and if it would be worth spending 3.00 on an extra screw, just in case.

Also, just in general terms, I wanted an idea at how difficult it is to take apart / reassemble the Bold, I've been looking at videos on YouTube from CNN.cn and others, and it doesn't look too overly difficult compared to other things I've attempted. I'm blessed with the ability of being gentle, and having patience, along with the ability to follow directions. So I'm hoping this won't be a big undertaking.

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm planning on ordering tonight, so I can get everything by Friday (4 days with EMS Priority Shipping from China) and get working on this.

(P.S - Does anyone have any suggestions for a reputable place to buy the bezel besides CNN? I'm only looking to get the standard silver bezel, along with a proper screwdriver, which is going to cost me 17.80, but shipping is 19.00 or 38.00 for two day.)
    06-21-09 07:57 PM
    I've never broken any of my screws while taking apart of putting my Bold back together. Just be careful. Don't be forceful. I have broken a T5 screw on an 8320 before though so as soon as it stops, don't tighten it anymore.

I found it very easy to take apart the Bold. MUCH MUCH easier than 8300 series phones, IMO. Probably just as easy as an 8800 series phone if not easier.. again, IMO.

OEM Blackberry BOLD 9000 bezel faceplate front cover W/side button and bottom cover :: 9000 :: Blackberry :: Housing/Faceplate :: Truesupplier - Blackberry Accessories & PDA Accessories wholesale Co.
    Last edited by savioAMG; 06-21-09 at 08:02 PM.
    06-21-09 08:00 PM
    06-21-09 10:08 PM
    I am one of the broken screw guys...

It was the 4th time i had my bold apart when this happened. That top left screw was always a tad more difficult to put back in. I'm thinking there was something originally wrong with my bezel. The new silver OEM Bezel I put on does not have this problem.

After all of that mess, I still do not regret taking this thing apart...at all.

Taking it apart is super easy. I say go for it.
    06-21-09 10:50 PM
    I've taken apart my bold over 15 times and luckily I haven't had any screws break. Taking apart the Bold is very easy, you can do it. Just be careful I pulled to hard on my screen once and I messed up the ribbon that connects the LCD screen to the mother board. I had to get a new screen because of it. i changed my side bezels from the silver to the black ones. I love it have fun and be careful. Probably a good idea too buy an extra screw, now that you mentioned it I think I'll buy some on my next purchase.
    06-21-09 11:01 PM
    oh and just note that the screen does not need to come off for bezel replacement. I changed my trackball and bezel and never have taken the screen off the board.
    06-21-09 11:09 PM
    I had no idea what I was doing. followed the video on cnn.cn. I opened up my bold. put the new bezel and trackball in. no worries. I just changed out my screen yesterday. I'm by no means an expert. I just took my time. If you're careful and take your time it should be fine.
    06-21-09 11:29 PM
    yeah just take your time. but i reckon you should find everything you want to change (trackball, bezel, keypad, EVERYTHING) and change it all in 1 go. it also can't hurt to get spare screws just in case
    06-21-09 11:49 PM
    As a little note, I've ordered a new bezel, an extra screw and a T5 screwdriver off DealiShop, with overnight. So I'll be sure to update if I succeed or not in a day or so when I get my parts.
    06-22-09 01:49 AM
    (another update.)

I got my Bezel today, at about 9:45, and by 10:30, I had a shiny new looking BlackBerry Bold, with a shiny new bezel.

Just so I can show off (.) I took some pics!

(larger version: Flickr Photo Download: BlackBerry Bold. Repaired.)

and for reference, my *old* bezel, notice the big dent from the previous owner!

... Sorry. I just had to show off my work.
    06-23-09 08:48 PM
    It's very very easy to take apart. Just take your time when doing so.
    06-27-09 11:17 AM
    (another update.)

I got my Bezel today, at about 9:45, and by 10:30, I had a shiny new looking BlackBerry Bold, with a shiny new bezel.

Just so I can show off (.) I took some pics!

(larger version: Flickr Photo Download: BlackBerry Bold. Repaired.)

and for reference, my *old* bezel, notice the big dent from the previous owner!

... Sorry. I just had to show off my work.
    Awesome, yeah that was pretty banged up huh haha.
    06-27-09 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD