Tried this thread once, but mistook my model number. I have a 9780 that needs to be replaced. I like my "baby bold"'s size and have never felt it to be underpowed for my purposes, but having to replace the keyboard membrane is a real turnoff.

Is the 9900 worth three times the price?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 01:10 AM
    in a word... yes. yabadabadoo! ok two.
    but if the 9790 was ever going to launch. that would be my phone.
    08-12-11 01:14 AM
    I vote to keep the 9780!

I asked my wife if she would trade me her Torch for my 9700 ONLY b/c her Torch has more memory and my 9700 is almost maxed after upgrading to OS6. She said no.

I then remembered the 9780 but then also remembered I'm on AT&T not Tmobile.

So keep your 9780, especially if you like the size and wait for the QNX devices in 2012...just around the corner. At least, that's what I'd do.
    indie_user likes this.
    08-12-11 01:21 AM
    YES.... you wont be disappointed.
    08-12-11 01:23 AM
    I haven't used the 9900, but I know I'm running out of patience with my 9780. It's a fine device and does almost everything well, except that browsing is killing me. I will miss the amazing battery life though.

The 9900 should have been a no brainer upgrade, but RIM needlessly made it a tough decision for enthusiasts.
    08-12-11 01:27 AM
    Keeping is out. The phone needs to be replaced. At least, I think it does; The lock button on top is getting worse every day.

The splitting work and home feature on the 9900 does look nice, but that alone isn't worth the price difference. Not even qnx is that exciting to me unless it comes with some new address book and calendar functionality.

Yeah, 9790 would be great. The keyboard is just as big as it /needs/ to be, imo.

Don't get me wrong; The new devices look great.

08-12-11 01:30 AM
    That's something I had forgotten to consider: the 9780 does have great battery life. That's important to me as a cyclist.

One more argument for re-buying the 9780. /Somebody/ try to talk me into upgrading!

08-12-11 01:34 AM
    Nothing wrong with previous gen devices. In fact other than speed/ better web browsing and touch, there's not that big a difference imo. Plus as has been flogged to death in a few threads recently, the 9780 does better than the 9900 on close up photos (very close/macro).

Size of the keyboard is a big obvious difference, but then you implied you like the smaller size.

08-12-11 01:53 AM
    The Curve 9350 Is going to be a lot cheaper when it comes out in September.

I don't know about your carrier, but Bell will have it at $50 on a new contract. That makes it a lot cheaper than the 9900

It's not as powerful as the 9900, but it IS more powerful then the 9780, and with the new doodads such as NFC and Hotspot (eventually)
    southlander likes this.
    08-12-11 02:00 AM

I don't know about your carrier, but Bell will have it at $50 on a new contract. That makes it a lot cheaper than the 9900

It's not as powerful as the 9900, but it IS more powerful then the 9780, and with the new doodads such as NFC and Hotspot (eventually)
    Nickerz likes this.
    08-12-11 02:03 AM
    i just bought 9780 man. 5mp, 512 mb, cheap, get it. soon i will get BB with QNX that's a major leap.
    Nickerz likes this.
    08-12-11 02:03 AM

Hey, I think you may have helped me make a decision for a temp phone between my 9700 and QNX device! I'm gonna start looking into the curve.....for $50, can't go wrong and I have an extra upgrade to burn. I just need something I'm gonna like for maybe 1 year, if that. Curve could be it! Hitting the Thanks button........NOW!
    08-12-11 02:07 AM
    Yeah. Sounds like the Curve might be a good option for you. The main thing to consider is that the keyboard is quite a bit different than the Bold keyboard, but it's not necessarily inferior. As something to tide you over until QNX, it should suffice.

Now if only RIM would announce them sometime soon...
    08-12-11 02:13 AM
    The one big thing to watch for is the pricing. I based my assumption on the price of $50 because that's what Bell launched the last two or three Curves at.

AT&T may be a bit more expensive (maybe $120), but I'm having a hard time tracking down the original launch prices to use as a guide.
    08-12-11 02:27 AM
    Why is this even a question?
    08-12-11 03:05 AM
    Why is this even a question?
    Because 9900 is not everything.

AlexAllen, I was planning to get myself a 9900 but after reading some of the (-) things discussed in various threads (especially the no Auto Focus thing) , I think I'm going to continue using my 9780 instead of getting a 9900. But that's me, of course. Others might think differently.
    08-12-11 04:17 AM
    but if the 9790 was ever going to launch. that would be my phone.
    Wait a second . . .

That might be real. I thought you'd made it up.

I really would look at that, though probably not till my next upgrade. Maybe it's all the positive 9780 energy in this thread or maybe my phone just needed a good drying-out, but my 9780's lock button seems to have come back from the near dead.

Think I'll keep it, though I'm beginning to wear the paint off the keyboard. Maybe I'll spring for a 32g card with what would have been my replacement cost.

Hope the ff doesn't die. The 97xx does NOT suck at browsing; it just sucks at a certain /type/ of browsing. It browses this forum, for instance, perfectly well. Why would /every/ BB user want to compromise his own priorities for the sake of one type of better browsing? That type of browsing is not a priority for me, but I am interested in home/work separation and nfc.

Unfortunately, the Curve keyboard is not for me.

And since I'm in the 99xx forum, I'll say, "Get One!" if you want one. Stop waiting for a revolutionary phone that most likely will not come in the near-future. I just replaced an 8-year-old desktop computer -- not a **** of a lot of difference for 95% of tasks. Enjoy what advances we have as they come.

08-13-11 12:44 PM
    I got 9780 and I am fed up with double/triple letters in my mails or texts.
    Besides touching an icon to run something is more comfortable than scrolling through menu.

I decided long time ago - 9780 will have a new owner
    08-13-11 03:01 PM
    I got 9780 and I am fed up with double/triple letters in my mails or texts.
    Yes, that is a terrible issue. If you decide to give/sell the 9780 to a friend, you could fix it first. Instructions in the 9780 forum. Good luck.

08-13-11 03:11 PM
    The 97xx does NOT suck at browsing; it just sucks at a certain /type/ of browsing. It browses this forum, for instance, perfectly well. Why would /every/ BB user want to compromise his own priorities for the sake of one type of better browsing? That type of browsing is not a priority for me, but I am interested in home/work separation and nfc.
    Well, browsing CB on the 9780 is actually bad and says something about the state of Blackberry where even an enthusiasts site can't get it to work on the phone. The preference is that we buy and use TapATalk app instead of trying to fix the problem of being all zoomed out on the webKit browser.

The zoom issues are particularly severe on the 9780 because of the screen size and resolution. On many pages on the web, it won't zoom at all, even when the text is tiny and barely legible. And it ignores your minimum font size preference, a bug that goes back to OS5.

Aside from that, the browser is painfully slow on non-mobile sites, and it force closes pages frequently. It actually closes all tabs when it needs the memory, basically crashing, even if you were in the middle of something very important in some other tab than the one it couldn't load.

It is definitely a browser that can do things on the web, I can actually use it for filling forms and using web apps, which wasn't the case before. But the zooming and memory issues make it very frustrating to use.

Lastly, I hope the day will come when I actually don't have to check CB rumors daily because my Blackberry just works.
    08-13-11 03:53 PM
    I'd say keep it until QNX. The OS7 phones are great but if you already have a Torch or Delta then I'd say wait a bit more until they become more worn out.

08-13-11 04:08 PM
    9780 without a doubt is the better buy - for it's day it was a rock solid phone that was functional for both work and personal life. The 9900 is more geared toward social features and high school themes so it just depends on if you want a great functional work phone and functional social phone ( 9780 ) OR, a faster social phone which isn't functional as a work phone ( 99xx )
    08-13-11 04:31 PM
    I don't think there is much of a choice once youv'e had both phones in your hands. I loved the 9700 form factor but this is definetly a step up.
    08-13-11 04:52 PM
    I don't think there is much of a choice once youv'e had both phones in your hands. I loved the 9700 form factor but this is definetly a step up.
    Yes, but is the 99xx a step up from the 9780 /phone only/? Or, is it indeed a step up from the 9780 + Otterbox + 32g sd + spare battery + skull candy headphones + screen protector + bluetooth headset that $500 would buy?

My answer is "no." YMMV.

Of course, you might now be thinking, "yeah, but I could spend a little more and have those things for the 99xx." Sure, but then you're comparing 99xx + accessories to 9780 + Playbook!

Well, I want a laptop without a keyboard about as much as I want a phone without a keyboard, so I'm not sure where I'd come down on that one, but I'm sure you see my point.
    Last edited by AlexAllen; 08-14-11 at 12:46 AM.
    08-14-11 12:16 AM
    Yes, but is the 99xx a step up from the 9780 /phone only/? Or, is it indeed a step up from the 9780 + Otterbox + 32g sd + spare battery + skull candy headphones + screen protector that $500 would buy?

My answer is "no." YMMV.

To me it was since my 9780 had issues but it was still a great device as was the 9700. Having had the 9900 now for a couple of days I really would find it tough to go back though. The headphones and 32g card can be used on any device.

I sold my 9700 for $220 and 9780 for $290 so granted it was a painless way to make the transition to the 9900.
    08-14-11 12:40 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD