I've been using the bold for a week and the trackball is turning a bit yellow. What is he best way to clean the trackball? I heard alcohol is good but I don't know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-08 09:32 AM
    11-12-08 09:34 AM
    I wouldn't remove it if you want your warranty to be valid. Just use alcohol or soap and water on a cloth and scroll.
    11-12-08 10:47 AM
    Earlier I was scrolling like a madman and all of the sudden my trackball wouldn't scroll up. I just licked my finger and rolled the ball and it fixed it. When you say yellow, how yellow do you mean? You shouldn't eat popcorn and then use your berry silly .

11-12-08 11:01 AM
    Just a dirty looking yellow color. Nothing like popcorn yellow haha. I will try alcohol and see if it gets better

11-13-08 09:01 AM
    i just read someone say alcohol leaves a film on the ball and could make it worse, so just use soap and water.
    11-13-08 10:28 AM
    This is not advisable for the Bold Chrisy.
    11-13-08 10:37 AM
    Ok I must be in the twilight zone or something b/c I just tried to roll by ball down to check on my emails and it's stuck!
    WTF, I just played brickbreaker with it!
    This is crazy. Same thing happened to my friend (I posted about it a while back in How to remove and clean your trackball.
    I guess I'll try the soap and water
    11-13-08 10:39 AM
    Be careful how far you get in when taking out the trackball. Those little pieces can be tricky as **** to get back together and a real PITA IMO.
    11-13-08 10:53 AM
    Just let your balls get dirty, folks.

Actually, there's no way alcohol is going to leave a "film" unless you're using mouthwash or something. Now soap and water is a BAD IDEA. Alcohol evaporates from your internals; soap scum doesn't.

Seriously, though, I wouldn't worry about it. If it seriously bugs you, pull the phone apart, clean it, and put it back together. Besides being educational, it's fun to tinker with your berry. Unless, of course, you care about your warranty and don't have the skillz to ensure the phone doesn't look tampered-with. Yep, that little white sticker is the least of your worries.

11-17-08 12:12 AM
    Must not own a Bold. Anyway use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol

11-17-08 12:48 AM
    No, a curve. i cleaned my track ball once with this method.

Why can't you do it with bold anyway?

11-17-08 03:03 AM
    No, a curve. i cleaned my track ball once with this method.

Why can't you do it with bold anyway?

The dismantling procedure is completely different. Its a complete strip to remove the PCB and get to the Bold trackball.
    11-17-08 05:49 AM
    Ah ok. Thanks.

11-17-08 07:29 AM
    Hi guys, since my last ordeal with my trackball I am glad to update that I managed to fix the problem.
    I took a blow duster (those you clean your keyboard with) and blew/sprayed directly on the trackball. Nothing seemed to happen as the air was just getting the superficial side so I thought of pushing down on the trackball and repeating. Lo and behold it worked!
    My ball is rolling in all directions again!

Hope this might help other Bold owners out there.

Oh...also, there's a place you can order OEM trackballs for the Bold and there's a video instruction on how to pull the Bold apart and reassemble.

Bold Trackball & Video
    11-17-08 09:40 AM
    All I did was take a q-tip put a lil hand sanitizer on it, hit the ball with it..And what do you know it rolling again...That simple method saved me a trip to the store, to talk with those so called high trained phone techincians
    11-17-08 10:16 PM
    Hi guys, since my last ordeal with my trackball I am glad to update that I managed to fix the problem.
    I took a blow duster (those you clean your keyboard with) and blew/sprayed directly on the trackball. Nothing seemed to happen as the air was just getting the superficial side so I thought of pushing down on the trackball and repeating. Lo and behold it worked!
    My ball is rolling in all directions again!

Hope this might help other Bold owners out there.
    Queen B

I was having this same problem and your solution was right on point. This is why we all need a queen in our lives.

thanks

jasguild
    05-20-09 09:20 AM
    LOL @ yellow trackball though. That's pretty crazy. Mine is still white and hasn't gotten stuck. I heard soap and water works better
    only if you take it out of the device and wait for it to dry completely before putting it back in
    05-20-09 10:47 AM
    Soap and water while your trackball is still installed in your phone is the worst thing for it. That will kill your phone, don't do it! I use alcohol swabs but they don't clean that well, but they do help the trackball to move better.

05-20-09 07:53 PM
    yeah i find that any lint in the air can potentially get stuck on the ball and then the ball get stuck on scrolling, so what i do is roll it back and forth and side to side to the lint out.

I have yet cleaned my ball since buying it 2 months agao as it is clean and still moves fast, but yeah i would suggest a can of air, but don't hold the air OPEN where it is coming out frozzen or wet.
    05-20-09 08:08 PM
    I use my Bold all day long and it doesn't seem to turn yellow... First step should be to wash your hands if they are dirty prior to touching your Bold hehe.
    05-20-09 09:35 PM
    Glad I could be of help dear
    Queen B

I was having this same problem and your solution was right on point. This is why we all need a queen in our lives.

thanks

jasguild
    05-22-09 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD