I am on vodafone Uk and just been told my new blackberry bold (got through a friend) is a BIS? i think...if not the other one

Anyway, basically i went in because I cannot access 3g connection to use on the internet - he told me there was nothing i could do because I have one of these corporate devices, wont allow me or something

Is there ANYTHING I can do?????
    09-05-08 08:56 AM
    A Blackberry can be either BIS or BES, or both, actually, they are not limited to one or the other.

If your device is a corporate BES device, your BES Admins can restrict some functions of the BB, although I have no idea why they would disable the 3G signal. That would not make much sense.
    09-05-08 09:24 AM
    i have a consumer vodafone sim card though, a regular customer contract basically, but ive put it into this blackberry bold which I am told is enterprise or something, basically they said it was corporate and so i would not be able to use 3g capabilities...tell me this cant be true!!!???? is there anything i can do just to be able to use internet etc using the 3g connection without having to get a normal blackberry???
    09-05-08 09:31 AM
    Did you get it new from the friend or used?
    Do you want it for personal use?
    If it was on a corporate Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) and he gave it to you and you put your sim in it and tried to access the net, it may not work because it has been disconnected on the BES, but still associated with the BES on the berry. You would then need to wipe the berry to get all the BES stuff off. Options > Security > General Settings > hit the black berry button and select wipe handheld. After this it is just like a new one.
    09-05-08 09:37 AM
    Most consumers who are not associated with a company email system, are going to want to be on BIS, and can forget all about BES.

As Vodafone initially launced the Bold to Buisness customers only it is possible that their 'default' configuration may be the wrong one for most 'consumers', so a quick call to their CS department should soon sort that out, I would have thought!

I am sure I remember reading a post from a Vodafone customer who actually had to do just that!
    09-05-08 09:54 AM
    voda gave me a BES handset when infact I was after a BIS. a quick phone call to their tech suporrt switched me over in no time.
    09-05-08 09:58 AM
    hi thanks montanna and nomorewindows, but ive tried your suggestion nomorwindows, but still seems to be the same. doesnt consider to connect to 3g - just says no wifi avaialble - have any other suggestions? muchg appreciate your help
    09-05-08 10:02 AM
    dfo you have the number you called riodel? thanks.
    09-05-08 10:03 AM
    call 191 from your handset. anyone from Tech support should be able to help
    09-05-08 10:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD