Hello,

I'm gonna get a blackberry on Saturday and I'd like to know what I should know before getting it..
    Things like what I must absolutely avoid doing or things that I must do...
    How to unlock it if it is locked,...
    What does "locked" actually mean ? If it comes from another country and is locked, will I be able to use it anyway ?
    It seems a bit complicated to me since I've never had a BlackBerry before..nor an iPhone !

I'm sorry if there's already a new thread about it, I've read a bit the forum but I'm not a native English speaker (sorry about my English too) so it's a bit hard for me to understand every topic !

Thank you in advance
    10-06-09 02:26 PM
    locked means that you can only use it with the branded serive provider unless you get it unlocked.
    there are several of free ways to unlock the phone and it is quite simple.

the blackberry bold is pretty user friendly. It will take you less than a day to get addicted and it will take you a couple of days to figure out the common and basic features of the device.
    keep looking around CB and the forums and u will discover a lot of features... too much to type up on here.

Congrat on the new BB and welcome to CB
    10-06-09 02:29 PM
    Ok ok thank you
    Can I unlock it myself ? I saw it took a few days to get it unlocked
    I've started searching information about the BB today and I'm a bit confused but I think that's because I don't have a BB in my hands to see what you're all saying..
    10-06-09 02:35 PM
    it took me less than a minute to unlock lol
    i called my service provider (AT&T) and told them that i make a lot of international business trips and need my phone unlocked (which is a true statement) and they gave me an unlock code right away.. it was a fast and quick process..

once you get ur BB, if you are still confused, feel free to ask questions.

Also, be sure to read some of the stickies in this forum
    10-06-09 02:39 PM
    Do you think it would be so easy in Europe ? (Belgium)
    I need it unlocked because it comes from Morocco but I think that in Morocco they're already unlocked but I'm not sure...
    And in Belgium they mustn't be locked because of rules of competitiveness..
    Thank you for helping me a bit
    10-06-09 02:44 PM
    does your service provider have the blackberry bold? if they do, and you buy it through them then you should be able to get an unlock code from them. ask them before just to be sure tho.
    if you were going to buy your BB off of the internet, you can buy it already unlocked but prices may be higher.. so if you want to buy a locked Bold for the cheaper price you will be able to get an unlock code (might have to pay for one from some website)
    10-06-09 02:53 PM
    Actually my cousin is getting an iPhone so he'll sell me his BB for 200 euros.. That's very cheap since he has had the BB for less than 2 months ! So I think I won't find any BB cheaper and I don't want to buy from my service provider since it costs something like 500 euros ! :/
    Should my service provider be able to unlock it ?
    10-06-09 02:58 PM
    if your service provider sells the Bold than more than likely they will be able to unlock it.. at least thats how it is in the US.. not sure about Europe..
    I would assume its already unlocked tho if it is workin in Europe.. call them and double check though just to be on the safe side
    10-06-09 03:11 PM
    Is your cousin on the same network as you in Belgium? I've been told that in the UK, the carriers don't unlock your phone for you..but I don't know how credible that is.

Worst case, you can pay to get it unlocked. Like JordanJr said, its a very simple process...let me know if you have any questions
    10-07-09 09:35 PM
    Congrats on your bold and Welcome to CB

Tell your cousin to call his service provider and ask to cancel the bis account and release the pin. Otherwise, you might have problems when trying to create a bis account with your service provider

Here is a useful guide:

BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by ST79; 10-08-09 at 03:09 AM.
    10-08-09 03:06 AM
    No we don't live in the same country, this is why I'm only getting my BB on Saturday but he lives in Morocco and I think that they're automatically unlocked there but I'm not sure about that..
    What should I do first when I get it ? I mean which upgrade should I choose ? Because I prefer erasing all the data in it before starting than having to do it when I've put all my data in..
    10-08-09 03:08 AM
    Ow... I don't really understand what I have to ask him.. "to cancel the bis account and release the pin".. I'm a French speaker but I think it doesn't matter for it, I think I wouldn't understand in French either..
    Thanks for the guide !
    10-08-09 03:14 AM
    BIS = Blackberry Internet Service

Almost every bb user will have a Blackberry Data Plan to use the BIS services such as push email, browser, bb messenger etc...

If your cousin does not cancel his BIS account and release the PIN, you will/may not be able to use BB services. ie, when you try to create a BIS account at your carrier's BIS website, you will get an error message saying " This device/PIN is already registered with another carrier".

Hope this makes sense
    10-08-09 03:19 AM
    Sorry but.. what is a carrier ? Is it the service provider or the user ? Because I've heard about that and people were saying that it wasn't true, that it wouldn't change anything, he would just continue to pay for his BB data plan but it wouldn't do anything for me.. Anyway an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..So does he need the BB to go to his service provider ?

Thanks a lot
    10-08-09 03:24 AM
    Carrier = Service Provider = Mobile Network Provider.

Just tell your cousin to call his provider and release the PIN. He do NOT have to send the device back to his provider.
    10-08-09 03:28 AM
    Okies
    Am I obliged to have a Blackberry data plan to use it ?
    I mean, there's nothing compulsory for iPhone and I thought it was the same for BB..
    10-08-09 03:33 AM
    Okies
    Am I obliged to have a Blackberry data plan to use it ?
    I mean, there's nothing compulsory for iPhone and I thought it was the same for BB..
    You MUST have a blackberry data plan to use bb services such as push email and bb messenger.
    10-08-09 03:36 AM
    Mmmm isn't there an application which replaces the official 'push email' application ?
    10-08-09 03:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD