I finally made it. Got the parts from cnn.cn and in about 20 minutes totally changed my AT&T lame Bold into a BBB. Aside from the Black frame I also replaced the Trackball with a Green one and the Keyboard with a new one where you can actually see the numbers.

The OS had to be wiped and reinstalled and some of the parts had to be removed from the older frame to the new one in a surgical precision. After the assembly, I installed the OS and Restored my applications. Then re-sync.

I'd be glad to assist anyone who wants to modify the Bold.
    04-11-09 09:14 PM
    looks good!
    04-11-09 09:17 PM
    That is fire!!!!!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-09 09:23 PM
    you make it sound so technical, which it isnt lol..

but nice bold
    04-11-09 10:05 PM
    very nice, your christmas bold looks jolly.
    04-11-09 10:21 PM
    you make it sound so technical, which it isnt lol..

but nice bold
    It is technical.

You have to remove the rubberized press-button protectors from the inside of the older frame, place and secure them VERY carefully in the new frame. One cut there and the button is history.

The two stupid "buttons" that don't do anything on both sides of the device must be removed and transferred to the new frame. They are covered with a thin film that you better not tear, else it will touch the PCB.

To reach the Trackball you have to take the device apart. Use extreme care when lifting the locks on the trackball cover.

The Keyboard has to be carefully slide under the covered corners inside the frame (from the inside). The same is true for the main PCB. If you just try to prop it open and rop it up, you'll scratch the side of the frame, or worse, you may damage the black plastic frame which carries all the contacts inside the device.

The cover for the MicroSD has two tiny hinges. One pull to the side and you've lost that hinge.

The Battery Cover release button is protected on both sides with rubber. Push it a bit too hard and you can't use the button to open the cover.

I guess if you don't care for clean work it may not be technical, if you care for your phone, you better do some homework before you start. For example: why on earth would the OS wiped itself out? I was only changing a frame?

If you do it daily, it might not be a technical challenge for you, but for someone who goes at it without experience, it can be frustrating, yet fun project to perform.

The most I like out of this project is the removal of AT&T from my phone's frame.
    04-11-09 10:22 PM
    definitely looks better with the red/black keyboard
    04-11-09 10:24 PM
    Looks nice.

After reading these forums for a while, AT&T sound like ****. And the before pic is another strike against their name.

Why would they have the keypad changed for the proper red and white one that is standard with the Bold?
    04-11-09 10:28 PM
    Looks very nice! Great job! The green trackball matches the answer key.
    04-11-09 11:52 PM
    I like the looks of it. I like that green trackball too nice lil touch...
    04-12-09 12:13 AM
    It is technical.

You have to remove the rubberized press-button protectors from the inside of the older frame, place and secure them VERY carefully in the new frame. One cut there and the button is history.

The two stupid "buttons" that don't do anything on both sides of the device must be removed and transferred to the new frame. They are covered with a thin film that you better not tear, else it will touch the PCB.

To reach the Trackball you have to take the device apart. Use extreme care when lifting the locks on the trackball cover.

The Keyboard has to be carefully slide under the covered corners inside the frame (from the inside). The same is true for the main PCB. If you just try to prop it open and rop it up, you'll scratch the side of the frame, or worse, you may damage the black plastic frame which carries all the contacts inside the device.

The cover for the MicroSD has two tiny hinges. One pull to the side and you've lost that hinge.

The Battery Cover release button is protected on both sides with rubber. Push it a bit too hard and you can't use the button to open the cover.

I guess if you don't care for clean work it may not be technical, if you care for your phone, you better do some homework before you start. For example: why on earth would the OS wiped itself out? I was only changing a frame?

If you do it daily, it might not be a technical challenge for you, but for someone who goes at it without experience, it can be frustrating, yet fun project to perform.

The most I like out of this project is the removal of AT&T from my phone's frame.
    dang that's a lot of work
    04-12-09 12:15 AM
    It is technical.

I've done it myself, and no, it is not that technical.
    Guess I'm just tech-savy.

But again, looks great, looks like mine lol.
    Minus the green, mine is black heh
    Last edited by cruciaL; 04-12-09 at 12:20 AM.
    04-12-09 12:17 AM
    I think it looks nice. But, I probably wouldn't like the green button after a while. I am probably one of the few who likes the way my bold looks out of the box.

04-12-09 12:18 AM
    Not technical at all..............
    First time under 10mins (black bezel)
    Second Time under 5mins (black keys and ball)

Easy Peezy
    04-12-09 12:44 AM
    rawr, looks pretty slick. are the colored trackballs crappy like the black ones?
    04-12-09 01:04 AM
    Looks good man!
    FYI 'the two stupid buttons on both sides that don't do anything' actually do serve a purpose. They're for charging your BB via a pod/dock.

Last edited by Teek; 04-12-09 at 02:52 AM.
    04-12-09 02:45 AM
    Looks very neat and clean. Great job !

04-12-09 02:49 AM

Easy Peezy
    Did you dye the silver camera bezel?
    04-12-09 02:58 AM
    how did you paint it? What paint? or did you order the pieces from that site colorware?
    04-12-09 03:24 AM
    coool ! ; ) !!
    04-12-09 03:30 AM
    how long has the colour lasted without marks?
    04-12-09 09:20 AM
    Did you buy the black camera from color ware?And i thought You had to purchase there back for this to fit if so??
    04-12-09 09:23 AM

Easy Peezy
    Where did you get that back battery cover?
    04-12-09 04:23 PM
    Looks good man!
    FYI 'the two stupid buttons on both sides that don't do anything' actually do serve a purpose. They're for charging your BB via a pod/dock.

To me, the hardest part was taking the charging ports out of one bezel and putting it into the other. However, I will say that I was scared doing the trackball because that bracket looked and felt rather flimsy,
    04-12-09 04:26 PM
    I actually just removed the oem piece of metal that was glued on the batter cover (camera) underneath is black plastic which I then just wet sanded till smooth..........

04-12-09 04:46 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD