After seeing updated screenshots from Phonegeek in the Onyx forum, the name "Bold" is stamped just below the camera.
    08-09-09 05:20 PM
    Its not the Bold 2. The thread in the Oynx thread already explains that.
    08-09-09 05:59 PM
    Could you show me the reply that explains it? I just went back and looked at the posts immediately following the latest pics which plainly show "Bold" stamped on the back of the device.
    08-09-09 06:26 PM
    phonegeek has said that cx has said that this is not the bold replacement.

this about seals it.
    08-09-09 06:30 PM
    who is cx?
    08-09-09 06:33 PM
    No it's not a Bold replacement... It's a new blackberry that is equivalent to the curve 8900 in size, uses the trackpad of the gemini 8520, and has the keypad of the Tour.

The only benefit it has over the Tour and Curve 8900 is that it has both 3G and WiFi with the speed of the Bold.
    08-09-09 06:47 PM
    Look at the updated photos on page 5 in the "onyx in the field at at&t" in the 9700 forum. "Bold" is clearly stamped in the back between the battery door and the camera/flash.
    08-09-09 06:57 PM
    Read the post from Crucial Xtreme from today.

The unit is not a finished unit. Meaning, its still in testing and when launched may not have Bold on the back. Until it goes to mass production nothing is final.
    08-09-09 08:40 PM
    True. But, as none of the other prototypes on this site, have had "Bold" stamped not printed on the back. It would appear that the cosmetic issues are nearly settled as it would be easy to adjust if "Bold" were printed on like the "AT&T" logo. This late in the testing, the priority is more operational/functional shake-down. I will concede that we will not know until the final version hits the market late this year or early next year. Regardless of the final device, I will wait until the initial "bugs" are worked out before committing serious skin in the game.
    08-09-09 08:51 PM
    Read the post from Crucial Xtreme from today.
    ^^This...

they are only field testing the device. Can't you see it's not final. They are taking all kinds of input. Some wanted it to replace the Bold so they added leather backing and put bold on the back which IMO is pretty cheesy and hope they remove it.

But as CX states, for all his expert knowledge, this is not the Bold replacement but a new device to satisy those who want it all and cannot decide between the curve 8900 or Tour.
    08-09-09 08:51 PM
    I am not disputing anyone's opinion but this device has been in testing prototypes for months.Trackball then trackpad.Camera/flash in different configs. Finished parts seam edges are better fitting. The list goes on. The exterior looks fairly far along is all that I am saying.
    08-09-09 09:09 PM
    I am sure that there will be another prototype on this site before it goes on sale.
    08-09-09 09:13 PM
    CX's statements are not his opinion, he knows.
    08-09-09 09:14 PM
    Ok, first let me say anything is possible. It could or could not go with "Bold" on the back. But the "Bold" was stamped before the decision was made to change the device model number to 9700, as it was the 9020, and "Bold" somewhat fit. However it is no longer aa 9000 series device and "Bold" doesn't really fit. The piece that says Bold is easily removable and can be changed in an instant. I would love to tell you guys exactly what it will or won't say, but I want to leave some anticipation for the coming of this device. I've given plenty thus far.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 09:53 PM
    CX, while I greatly respect and defer to your experience and expert opinion, I would offer this humble CB Abuser opinion that this late in field testing, operational/functional internal hardware and software would be a higher priority. Considering all the cosmetic changes and the closeness of the finished seam edges, it would costly for RIM to retool in time for an EU launch in 8 -10 weeks and a US release shortly thereafter.
    08-09-09 10:27 PM
    They are just testing software/os/reception functions this late in the game. The hardware is already decided on by now I'm sure. If there 50 prototypes out right now there are probably a dozen different viriations (some of them extremely old).

08-09-09 10:40 PM
    From the pictures, it looks like a simple stamp in the rubber. They could just as easily not stamp the rubber band.

Crucial... I've been wondering this for a long time, just how much "in the know" are you? You know tons about the upcoming devices and that's why im curious.
    08-09-09 10:41 PM
    Hopefully, we will find out in November.
    08-09-09 11:12 PM
    Ok, first let me say anything is possible. It could or could not go with "Bold" on the back. But the "Bold" was stamped before the decision was made to change the device model number to 9700, as it was the 9020, and "Bold" somewhat fit. However it is no longer aa 9000 series device and "Bold" doesn't really fit. The piece that says Bold is easily removable and can be changed in an instant. I would love to tell you guys exactly what it will or won't say, but I want to leave some anticipation for the coming of this device. I've given plenty thus far.

alright so there is some play here with the device final notes and design sounds like. and well lol yah I kinda thought this was not a bold 2 but non the less a great device. Hey it might be better than we expect ..

well things are rolling out nicely as it is ..

a little quicker than I expected actually considering the way the bold came out , delay, delay, delay lol

but Bold is a great phone all round just wish Ram was Hot Swap ! hehe
    thats a new feature RIM could introduce Hot swap Ram Chips and Hd's
    too hehe!

imagine a BB with Hot swap Ram and Hot swap HD, well we sorta got that with SD cards ... but ram! hot rod!!!
    08-09-09 11:17 PM
    Since having my Bold, I've stopped giving a hoot on the next gen phone. When things are official, ill sweat my sack to buy it. Until then, have a life.

08-09-09 11:32 PM
    lol , yah - bold is a good phone

lets you go on with your life
    08-10-09 09:37 AM
    I sincerely hope that any "Bold 2" has the form factor of the Bold, not of the 8900/Tour. I PREFER the larger size of the Bold, as the keyboard is much more comfortable for my hands.

If a Curve-sized phone becomes the Bold 2, I would have to think the Bold's form factor is dead.

I would love to hear from someone like CX that RIM does indeed plan to continuing releasing devices of the same general size as the Bold for people who prefer it.
    08-10-09 09:45 AM
    Well seeing the BOLD stamped into the back, someone thought this was the "bold2" and it was more than just a thought if they are being produced this late and being sent out for testing with that stamp. Even if they change it to something else, device name or model number, this is "MY" bold replacement. And the next in the GSM 9000 lineup. So that's enough info for me, I don't needs someone else's words to sway my opinion, proof is in the pictures/specs for me.
    08-10-09 01:15 PM
    "Bold2" in the sense that it is an even comparison and 1up's the bold, or Bold2 as in it's an official successor?

The previous is true regardless of the latter.
    08-10-09 01:28 PM
    I'm hoping is not the Bold replacement cuz of its size! I think is too small, the reason I got my Bold was cuz the size is perfect for me!
    08-10-09 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD