I am suing BB9000. This BB has 1 GB onboard memory, but it seems like I can only use a small part of it for application loading. I am constantly facing the problem that there is not enough memory available, while I see that there is about 800 MB free on the on board memory.

Not sure if the comparison is correct, but some time ago when I was using HP iPAQ, I could change the allocation of application/program memory usage ans storage memory usage. Is that possible with BlackBerry?
    06-08-10 09:27 AM
    No. ALL BBs allocate only a small amount of memory (called application memory) to install the OS, themes and apps to. This is not changeable. The Bold 9000 has 128MB of application memory. You cannot allocate device memory to app memory, nor can you install apps or themes to the device memory.

Currently the BB with the most application memory is the Bold 9650, with 512MB. Newer devices will have at least this much (the 9700a supposedly and the 9800 to name a couple) but basically you are stuck with whatever is originally allocated in the particular device.
    06-08-10 11:34 AM
    The 9000 has enough app memory for most people. There are some ways to improve memory management to be found here: [urlhttp://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-free-memory-your-blackberry-smartphone[/url]

My 9000 runs lots of apps and still keeps above 30megs free most days by following the tips in that link.
    06-08-10 03:42 PM
    06-09-10 05:43 AM
    Welcome to the club. If you do a search on Crackberry or Blackberryforums.com for app memory you will see a multitude of threads about this topic (including one started by me when I got my first BB). As Sedalia066 pointed out, there are ways to manage this memory and as you figure things out, you will learn to adapt to this limitation and enjoy your Bold like I do.

I use a product called Aerize Card Loader (it's available for purchase through Crackberry). Essentially it allows a user to store apps to the memory card (but not run them from there). Blackberry still runs them from the 128 portion of the device memory.

Whether you use this program or not, it's important that you CLOSE programs when not in use. If you just navigate away from a program, it's left still running in memory and that's how you run out. When you hold down the menu button (the BB logo) a quick launch bar comes up. These are the programs that are still running in the background. You can close many of these (not the core applications) to free up space if you find you're running low.
    06-09-10 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD