I saw where ya could do this with the pearl, Unzip BB maps to your memory card and install it, so I tried it on my Bold
    And it didn't work...Anyone have any ideas on how to get it on this phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 12:41 PM
    I don't think there's a work around, AT&T/RIM sealed this up pretty tight. You can get it on the phone, but you cannot open it.
    06-05-09 12:45 PM
    Actually there is a way. Heres the link.

HOWTO: BlackBerry Maps on the Bold (AT&T) - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

I haven't tried it myself because I use google maps, so I can't guarantee if it will work or not.
    06-05-09 01:10 PM

HOWTO: BlackBerry Maps on the Bold (AT&T) - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

I haven't tried it myself because I use google maps, so I can't guarantee if it will work or not.
    That used to work
    06-05-09 01:14 PM
    That's the hole they sealed up a couple of months ago. It's not as easy as changing the theme anymore.
    06-05-09 01:15 PM

I didn't read through the entire thread, but the switching themes thing doesn't work. It's disabled via a service book or something. You can install BB Maps, and it will work from within other apps (eg. I saw poynt mentioned, and I think one of the geocaching apps could open it), but it will not launch natively. There is no icon, and even attempting to launch from Quicklaunch produces an error about it being disabled. RIM/AT&T did something to hamstring us.
    06-05-09 01:15 PM
    Oh ok, my bad. Although nice to know then that thats useless now.
    06-05-09 01:19 PM
    Oh ok, my bad. Although nice to know then that thats useless now.
    Not totally. Apps can use it, but you cannot open it directly. Seems kinda petty and pointless on the part of AT&T, especially with Google Maps and other free solutions still out there.
    06-05-09 01:24 PM
    Not totally. Apps can use it, but you cannot open it directly. Seems kinda petty and pointless on the part of AT&T, especially with Google Maps and other free solutions still out there.
    True. Well I'm gonna test and see if I can get Maps to show up on mines since I'm using my Bold on T-Mobile and its unbranded.
    06-05-09 01:28 PM
    True. Well I'm gonna test and see if I can get Maps to show up on mines since I'm using my Bold on T-Mobile and its unbranded.
    Should work on T-Mo
    06-05-09 01:31 PM
    Doh. Didn't think it through and yeah it does work for T-Mobile. Forgot that it was the service books that block ATT users from using it. Well that was sort of pointless. I shall see if I can grab my friend's att sim card and test it with that.
    06-05-09 01:35 PM
    If its unbranded and then that means the whole tied to att thing is gone. So theoretically it should work even with an att sim, right?
    06-05-09 02:06 PM
    If its unbranded and then that means the whole tied to att thing is gone. So theoretically it should work even with an att sim, right?
    Nope, if have AT&T service you get AT&T service books. It's not hard coded in the firmware.
    06-05-09 02:11 PM
    okay yea I didn't think that through completely but thanks for the clarity
    06-05-09 02:12 PM
    again, why would you want it? its a pretty weak app anyway.
    06-05-09 02:30 PM
    some people might like it
    06-05-09 02:33 PM
    It has some uses, like geocaching functions.
    06-05-09 02:35 PM
    I don't think there's a work around, AT&T/RIM sealed this up pretty tight. You can get it on the phone, but you cannot open it.
    It can still be accessed through BBMessenger and SignalLoc.
    06-05-09 02:45 PM
    and poynt can access it
    06-05-09 02:53 PM
    I prefer BB Maps, seems to be the only one that can find me in the backwoods of my county LOL
    That's why I want it

06-05-09 09:53 PM
    I saw where ya could do this with the pearl, Unzip BB maps to your memory card and install it, so I tried it on my Bold
    And it didn't work...Anyone have any ideas on how to get it on this phone?

06-05-09 10:11 PM
    There is a way to quickly and easily install blackberry maps on the Bold (I was messing around somewhat when I ran across it).
    First, you need Blackberry Desktop Manager on your PC (if you don't have it you can download it for free at blackberry.com, just
    make sure it is version 4.6). Connect your Bold and open Blackberry Desktop Manager. Click 1st icon (application loader). When
    you do this it will scan your Bold for apps for a second, and then a screen with all available apps pops up (the first 10 or so are
    languages. Scan down until you see Blackberry Maps. Check the empty box icon next to it. Click next. From there, you will officially
    have Blackberry Maps on your Bold. I hope this works...if not, maybe I just have a buggy Blackberry Desktop Manager. Good luck!

06-05-09 10:19 PM
    I have bb maps on my unlocked rogers that I am using on tmobile. Don't see what's so great about it... I chose to hide it. Are there any advantages?

06-05-09 11:55 PM
    There is a way to quickly and easily install blackberry maps on the Bold (I was messing around somewhat when I ran across it).
    First, you need Blackberry Desktop Manager on your PC (if you don't have it you can download it for free at blackberry.com, just
    make sure it is version 4.6). Connect your Bold and open Blackberry Desktop Manager. Click 1st icon (application loader). When
    you do this it will scan your Bold for apps for a second, and then a screen with all available apps pops up (the first 10 or so are
    languages. Scan down until you see Blackberry Maps. Check the empty box icon next to it. Click next. From there, you will officially
    have Blackberry Maps on your Bold. I hope this works...if not, maybe I just have a buggy Blackberry Desktop Manager. Good luck!

Yes but at&t doesn't allow the icon so you can't start up blackberry maps. Its installed on the device but there's no way of natively launching it. There's no icon or anything.

06-06-09 12:00 AM
    Wipe your phone. Remove "vendor" file, load OS. BBMaps will be there, Icon and all.

It will be gone whenever service books get resent.

06-06-09 01:41 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD