Hello everybody. I am going on a cruise next month and I'd like to take my bold with me. What do I need to do? Will it even work? We're going to progreso mexico and cozumel mexico. I'd like to avoid the 9.50 per minute the cruise line charges for phone usage, and I'd like to keep up with my emails and stuff. The cruise line is carnival.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 09:44 AM
    Buy a Mexican Sim card. Mexico SIM Card
    07-05-09 09:52 AM
    Okay, but will the phone work while we're out on the water? Also, do i have to unlock my phone to use a different sim card? Thanks!

07-05-09 10:44 AM
    Call AT&T and set up an international plan with them.
    07-05-09 10:49 AM
    International plans work on cruise ships, they have cell phone tower-like things on board. Check att for the rates though.

07-05-09 11:35 AM
    AT&T is expensive. Get the unlock code from them for free, then get a Mexico Sim card, it will work.... I did it.
    07-05-09 12:22 PM
    I went on a 7-day cruise via Carnival to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay over Christmas last year. The last thing I wanted to do was call anyone in the states but I did get the international calling plan for Carnival through ATT. They actually list the destinations online. Just remember toi take it off when you're back home. I had a job offer come through for a job I desperately wanted and I spent the time we had in Cozumel sitting by the shops filling out paperwork and emailing it back via my Bold. I would have been at the mercy of at sea faxing otherwise. One thing I wish I had done was paid the 50 bucks for the international data plan, although my phone bill was only 100 bucks more. I probably would have been on line more as far as texting and sending photos.

I never made any phone calls, so I didn't need the plan but it was 4.99. I don't remember the per minute rate. Its all at the website though.

Last edited by berryromancewriter; 07-05-09 at 12:29 PM.
    07-05-09 12:26 PM
    I am on the Carnival Miracle at sea as I type this on my Bold. I switched to the Bold and AT&T for their international data plan so I could use it on ships. I entertain on cruise ships so I'm on ships a lot.

If you wish to use it on the ships, get an international plan before you go. I have the unlimited international plan but for your purposes you won't need that.

Have a good cruise.

07-05-09 12:29 PM
    I find if I don't do surfing and just email/SMS, the charges, even with the cruise-ship rip-off rates, aren't that bad at all.
    07-05-09 12:41 PM
    For calls. Bring your laptop and buy a MagicJack, and bring a good cordless regular phone. MJ works fantastically. Just fwd your cell calls to your MJ number, buy the per day internet on the ship, and leave your computer on in the room. You'll have unlimited calls in and out to US and Canada your entire time on the ship, plus a year after, for 40 bucks. Way cheaper than an intl data plan.

07-05-09 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD