Yes, I expect the answers to this to be somewhat biased, but I am also posting to a Mac forum, so that's ok...

Am trying to decide between a Blackberry Bold and the new 3GS (already an AT&T subscriber). I gather that the Bold will not support the new, faster HSPDA that AT&T rolls out. Is that going to be a big deal if Iím not going to tether? Iíve heard that the mobile devices canít keep up with that speed anyway.

Though I must admit the upgraded camera looks nice, Iím also having concerns about not having a physical keyboard. But then Iím not sure the Boldís keyboard is that helpful either. I timed how long it took me to type two sentences using my PC, my T-Mobile Dash (about to be retired) and my iPod Touch. The PC was about 15 seconds, while the other two were both about 40 seconds. I presume the 3Gs would be similar to the Touch. Would the Bold be similar to the Dash?
    06-08-09 07:16 PM
    the iphone is much more comfortable to type on than an ipod touch... but i don't know how I would like not having a hardware keyboard. Which is why i have a bold. I love it.
    06-08-09 07:18 PM
    Just so you know, AT&T will most likely block tethering. That's the rumor so far. As well as MMS.
    06-08-09 07:19 PM
    Just so you know, AT&T will most likely block tethering. That's the rumor so far. As well as MMS.
    Now that is just a stupid move by AT&T ha.
    06-08-09 07:22 PM
    The Bold supports 7.2mbps HSDPA. It's pointless anyways though because it's just theoretical speed...

Also the 3GS camera is not nice, it's crap because there's no flash! Phone cameras with zero flash are practically useless in a lot of situations...

I don't even know where you're going trying to say the Bold's keyboard isn't helpful. That statement doesn't even make sense for a number of reasons.
    06-08-09 07:23 PM
    yea, i watched macrumorslive earlier during the WWDC and att was not on the list of supported operators for tethering.

I've had issues with MMS on att since becoming a customer in October. I give up on that. wife and I send pics over bbm.
    06-08-09 07:24 PM
    The bold does support HSDPA .... and i say buy the bold.

Yeah its up to 7.2mps just like any home internet = up to, so if you get that speed sell me your house and internet and phone..

Most anyone may get is 4-5mps.
    06-08-09 07:30 PM
    iphone=still no MMS. wasnt that the whole reason for all this nonsense ? now that apple is allowing it att blocks it. seriously stick to the bold. I listen to music sync my itunes watch movies ect ect. on my bold and play games as well no need for the tied down icrap its like going to verizon, lol.
    06-08-09 07:39 PM
    You should get the new iphone. That way when you start pulling your hair out because none of the stuff that is brand new to apple today that's been around for years on other platforms (including my bold) will work as apple advertises, and at least you can go make fart sounds with your iphone and play etch-a-sketch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 07:50 PM
    The main things I use to compare the iPhone and the bold are that the bolds memory can be upgraded by just getting a larger sd card, also the bolds battery can be replaced and upgraded and the main thing is the keyboard. Also for some one like me who lives in a cold place like Canada in the winter time its a real pain to take off your gloves to use a touch screen and answer the phone. With the bold I can still keep my gloves on and answer the phone which is always an added bonus for people who live in cold climate. Ofcourse i guess you can get those special gloves to use with a touch screen.
    06-08-09 09:30 PM
    The 3GS is not an improvement over the 3G at all. The only thing physically it has is a better camera and a faster processor. I've played on my friends iphones and after you load them with music and apps they are slow as pigs. Everything on the bold is instant. I hit sms, and they are there instantly.

I had a 2G iphone and the hype wore off real quick. 2 completely different devices that cannot be compared. My suggestion, get a bold and an itouch. Absolute best of both worlds.

06-08-09 09:37 PM
    iphone=still no MMS. wasnt that the whole reason for all this nonsense ? now that apple is allowing it att blocks it. seriously stick to the bold. I listen to music sync my itunes watch movies ect ect. on my bold and play games as well no need for the tied down icrap its like going to verizon, lol.
    att is going to have mms on the new 3.0 os for the iphone, it will be released (mms) before the end of summer. the new os due out on the 17th is really going to make a difference (imho) on the usefullness of the iphone. i'll have another 3G iphone tommorow, but instead of selling it when i'm bored, i'm keeping it this time. i adore my bold, but i really really cant get over the iphone either. i dont see enough of a justification to get the 3GS, but i think the 3G is still a great device. its really going to come down to what you want the phone to do for you. the bold is an amazing communication device. with bb messenger, and email, you just cant go wrong. although if you dont know anyone else with a blackberry, bb messenger just kind of sits there. it may be fun to talk to people you meet here from time to time, but if you wife/girlfriend/boyfriend etc.. dont have black berry, it gets kinda lonely. email delivery is sooo awesome on the bold (blackberry's in general), thats one thing that i know i'll miss the most. the first time i made the switch back in january, that was what brought me back to the bold, the email. i have become a slave to the blinking light!!! LOL. if media is your cup of tea, you just cant go wrong with the iphone, my entire 25 plus gig music collection is on itunes. its all i've used. and the ability to purchase music from the itunes store right then and there, and the availablilty of all the different apps that actually do something really do make a difference. i think whichever way you go, you will be getting a great device. good luck.
    06-08-09 10:15 PM
    Everything on the bold is instant. I hit sms, and they are there instantly.
    true to a degree, unless you're on a beta os, or dont have alot of apps running, you're gonna run into memory problems that eventually will slow you down to a crawl. and even with a beta os, you're still gonna have issues with memory at some point. i really wish rim could find the hole in the memory loss and plug it up!
    06-08-09 10:16 PM
    Buy a razr...now that's one impressive piece of hardware!

06-08-09 10:22 PM
    imo, the bb beats the iphone in a one on one competition.
    The 3GS has nothing drastically you should fall heels for. This time apple did not make a major impact. This may be a factor in the long haul.
    It all depends on what your preferences and daily activities are. The bb is the most productive tool. The iphone is like going on a ferris wheel over and over.
    06-08-09 10:55 PM
    I switched to my bold from a iPhone 3G, and I won't get the new one because the two biggest features that they promoted, mms and tethering won't even be fully implemented either until the summer for mms, and tethering isn't even confirmed for ATT! I got all those things on my bold already and don't plan on switching back, I now have an iTouch 3G, haha.

06-08-09 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD