This is just a question that made me go hmmm...

While upgrading my Bold from .167 to .266 and now .282, I used the excellent guides in the help and how to section, and used Crackmem to remove some of the un-needed bloat.

It occurred to me the other day though as I looked in the folder that crackmem moved removed items to, that there was stuff in there that shouldn't be needed. For example: if the Bold is an exclusive of AT&T, why would there be software for T-mobile Favs in the OS? I think I even recall some Verizon items, whcih makes no sense in the GSM/CDMA incombatibility. (Or maybe i just imagined that part - I'm not using the same computer I used for the upgrade right now.)

I mean, I know you can unlock a Bold. Am I being too "American"? Maybe T-Mobile has the Bold in other countries? Or is this OS supposed to support other devices other than just Bold - either currently or in the near future?
    07-12-09 10:04 PM
    There's probably T-Mobile stuff in the folder because the Bold gets sold from T-Mobile in Germany. I can't really answer for the Verizon stuff though.
    07-12-09 10:09 PM
    Crackmem is designed to work on all carriers for all blackberries. This means that the options that are listed to be removed is just standard selections per OS, per carrier, per phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 10:13 PM
    [QUOTE=xamdam;3024430]Crackmem is designed to work on all carriers for all blackberries. This means that the options that are listed to be removed is just standard selections per OS, per carrier, per phone.
    QUOTE]

Agreed. That's why I looked in the removed folder to see what was actually removed. When I get back to my regular computer I'll list some of the files I thought odd to be present that were carrier specific. The T-mobile Favs is the only one I recall specifically right now.
    07-12-09 10:39 PM
    Ok, I just re-checked the folder. I think I confused VVM (Visual Voice Mail) for Verizon. I only see the tmo_five file, which would be explained if T-Mobile does sell the Bold outside the US.

But while I'm at it - what carrier uses VVM? How does it work?
    07-12-09 10:55 PM
    If I'm right vvm is used by rogers.
    07-13-09 02:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD