Hi,

Great forum - long time lurker.

I got my Bold a week or so ago and I love the phone - shame the same couldn't be said for Orange. In common with others I've had a number of problems.

Maps - Just spoke with CS - told three different stories - download it yourself, contact RIM tech support - then told 'Maps doesn't work at present - we will get it out, just not sure when.' - I was advised to download Google maps 'They should work' I've tried that - sticks at 10%.

Connections - I've been having loads of problems with the phone logging back on to the wireless network - when I've been in an area with no signal for a while and then go to another area with good signal I have to switch the wireless off then back on again. CS told me that there are some problems with the phoe, and to leave it locked in 2g mode.

Local coverage - before I swapped to orange I checked their website and it said excellent coverage - there isn't really any at home - CS tell me there is a number of broken and degraded transmitters in my area - they have no current plans for repair but will get round to it !!

Dropped calls - keep loosing calls even in good signal areas - told to keep the phone in 2g mode.

I would also dispute the 300+ hours of battery life - I managed to get 36 hours over the weekend with WiFi / BT and GPS off.

All in all I love the blackberry concept - but I'm thinking of trying to go back to VF and maybe just getting a Curve - what does everyone think ? I'm more interested in the functionality of the phone than the multimedia etc.
    09-03-08 04:22 AM
    The swapping between 2g and 3g has been greatly improved with the latest software. Follow the thread at the top of this forum to upgrade your software. Improved battery life has also been mentioned with software upgrades.
    09-03-08 04:32 AM
    Welcome to CB Paul.

A lot of Orange users on here have reported similar problems to you, some which have been cured by means of an OS update... apart from the maps of course, but that is being actively persued by more than one customer, as it would appear that the BB maps are actually there, but Orange have chosen to disable them, presumably to hope that they can get some more money from a paid service.

You were a brave man to choose Orange purely on the basis of the local coverage shown their website though. It is not always that easy to check it out with SIM cards from other operators, but that is really the only reliable way, as coveage can change or even be lost completely for a variety of reasons... and I am sure that them having 'broken or degraded transmitters' in your area doesn't help either!

If you check out a few other posts on here as I am sure you will soon pick up a lot of useful information!

Have Fun and Enjoy CB!
    09-03-08 04:37 AM
    Welcome to CB

Most of your issues are DEF down to the OS the orange bolds are shipping with. I experienced all the same issues but all were resolved with the upgrade to .134. OS. Spend some time with your Bold and get used to it, have a good look around the forum and then go for the ugrade to .134 OS.

2 things though a) I would not recommend the upgrade to a newbie BUT if you follow the step by step guide on the forum on the upgrade process you can't really go wrong, and if you do help is always here.
    b) The upgrade will invalidate your warranty unless you downgrade back to .92 OS before sending your phone back to orange.

The maps issue and coverage are both obviously carrier issues, don't let that ruin your experience with the bold it's an AWSOME device. I am hopeful the maps issue will be resolved in the consumers favour soon.

Enjoy CB
    09-03-08 04:55 AM
    Hi,

Maps - Just spoke with CS - told three different stories - download it yourself, contact RIM tech support - then told 'Maps doesn't work at present - we will get it out, just not sure when.' - I was advised to download Google maps 'They should work' I've tried that - sticks at 10%.
    hey paul,

had the same problem and spent days to figure out. then by mistake i downloaded an outdated google maps version, and it works perfectly!! even better than the new one. Try to find version 2.2.2 (#2229) through OTA or PC Download.,...should work fine...let me know if you need any further helo
    09-03-08 05:11 AM
    hey paul,

had the same problem and spent days to figure out. then by mistake i downloaded an outdated google maps version, and it works perfectly!! even better than the new one. Try to find version 2.2.2 (#2229) through OTA or PC Download.,...should work fine...let me know if you need any further helo
    bodisaffa, would you be able to.....zzzz!"$"!$(!$%*"!$*"$")!%("!...sorry you just broke my concentration)))) can you give me the link to download the new OS 4.6.0.134? 0.92 is way to buggy( will mail and stuff still work on orange? thanks for your help bb joda
    09-03-08 05:29 AM
    sorry quoted the wrong post...that's what you get for breaking others concentration!!!!!!*smile*
    09-03-08 05:31 AM
    I can no worries but am I allowed to post links to OS.134??

Mods??
    09-03-08 05:35 AM
    I can no worries but am I allowed to post links to OS.134??

Mods??
    Although I am not a Mod, I can tell you that you are not allowed to post direct links to beta OS software on here... there are always PM's though!

Edit: Alternatively, why not have a read here... it is quite informative!
    Last edited by Montala; 09-03-08 at 05:49 AM.
    09-03-08 05:41 AM
    Thanks montala

Indigo, see Montals very informative link.

Maybe I could post the link on a technicality, namely nobody knows if it is a BETA or not yet
    09-03-08 06:09 AM
    Thx Bodifsadda! Upgraded my OS yesterday and it works much smoothier, even if not flawless but still....internet is much faster and it freexes less hehe....
    09-05-08 12:16 AM
    good work indigo .92 was awful and as you say no doubt this is not perfect its pretty damn close

enjoy
    09-05-08 12:41 AM
    i remember telling orange that the reception is awful... they told me that they had 100% coverage in my part of the UK... my response was to ask why there is no coverage in half of the New Forest... their response "oh, well those would just be holes within the 100% coverage of the area"......

hmmmm..... i like their definition of 100%!

i'm not sure whether the staff at Orange are trained to talk through their arses, or whether they don't actually have the answers, so have to make things up... but one thing is for sure... it doesn't give you much faith in them as a service provider.
    09-05-08 03:44 AM
    Hmmm... 100% coverage is a very bold (no pun intended!) statement to make.

They are obviously discounting some quite large 'holes' when saying that!

I agree with you though Alex... I have never been very impressed by them either, and although I am sure they have some customers who swear by them, more and more seem to be swearing AT them just at the moment!
    09-05-08 03:53 AM
    i have also noted dropped calls on my bold. very odd
    09-05-08 04:22 AM
    i have also noted dropped calls on my bold. very odd

which OS are you running??
    09-05-08 04:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD