Okay, So the BB Bold has 1 GB built in memory and 128MB Flash. Which of these two memories do the messages go to (email, sms, contacts,etc)?

I have been hearing that you can check to see you "file" memory - apparently this is the memory that is used for messages, email, contacts, browser cache, etc.

So I checked the following:

options -> status -> File Free (25507395 Bytes) I think that equates to around 25MB if I am not mistaken. Does this not seem low to anybody?

options -> memory -> Application Memory (24.3MB)
    options ->memory -> Device Memory (858.9MB FREE) This is a lot.

So I am assuming that I only have 25MB to hold all my contacts, emails, sms. Is this correct? So what is that 858.9MB device memory for? MP3s, Videos????
    11-26-08 02:09 PM
    I've been wondering about this as well. I'd also like to know how to force apps to install either to that 1GB reservoir or to my card.
    11-28-08 05:32 AM
    I believe that 1GB of storage is just that...storage. The "File Free" memory is used to run the programs.

I found a thread somewhere where it says you can't decide where there applications get stored so there is now way to force apps to install into that 1 GB reservoir (anyone correct me if I am wrong)
    11-28-08 05:49 AM
    Okay, So the BB Bold has 1 GB built in memory and 128MB Flash. Which of these two memories do the messages go to (email, sms, contacts,etc)?

I have been hearing that you can check to see you "file" memory - apparently this is the memory that is used for messages, email, contacts, browser cache, etc.

So I checked the following:

options -> status -> File Free (25507395 Bytes) I think that equates to around 25MB if I am not mistaken. Does this not seem low to anybody?

options -> memory -> Application Memory (24.3MB)
    options ->memory -> Device Memory (858.9MB FREE) This is a lot.

So I am assuming that I only have 25MB to hold all my contacts, emails, sms. Is this correct? So what is that 858.9MB device memory for? MP3s, Videos????

The bold itself comes standard with 1Gig of memory (think of this as a hard drive on your computer). There is also 128MB of "Flash" memory that acts like the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer. All the talk on the forum about memory lost and keeping memory at a certain MB is referring to the "Flash" memory. The "Flash" memory is controlled by the processor in the Blackberry to open, run, close, and cache during normal operations of the phone itself and the applications (programs) when ran. So keep in mind, the user, does not dictate how much Flash memory can be used during the phone's operation. The processor dictates that. Of course, the lower the free Flash memory, the slower the phone will run because of the lack of Flash memory.

As for your contacts, photos, videos, mp3s, etc... those files are stored within the 1Gig memory (HDD). If you also have a micro SD card (optional) in your Blackberry, then you can specify the blackberry to save in the internal 1Gig or your micro SD card.

Hope this helps!
    11-28-08 06:06 AM
    Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 07:27 AM
    Thanks Adam! That helps a whole lot. Although I heard that you can't store contacts, emails, sms into a microSD card. It only holds media.

It was so confusing because people were saying that they can't add any new contacts and old emails were being deleted when new ones came in because their "file free" was at 0k.
    11-28-08 01:26 PM
    The bold itself comes standard with 1Gig of memory (think of this as a hard drive on your computer). There is also 128MB of "Flash" memory that acts like the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer. All the talk on the forum about memory lost and keeping memory at a certain MB is referring to the "Flash" memory. The "Flash" memory is controlled by the processor in the Blackberry to open, run, close, and cache during normal operations of the phone itself and the applications (programs) when ran. So keep in mind, the user, does not dictate how much Flash memory can be used during the phone's operation. The processor dictates that. Of course, the lower the free Flash memory, the slower the phone will run because of the lack of Flash memory.

As for your contacts, photos, videos, mp3s, etc... those files are stored within the 1Gig memory (HDD). If you also have a micro SD card (optional) in your Blackberry, then you can specify the blackberry to save in the internal 1Gig or your micro SD card.

Hope this helps!
    BUT HOW TO CHECK EXTRACTLY 128mb FLASH MEMORY ON BLACKBERRY BOLD?
    07-03-09 11:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD