Hi guys.

I purchased my first Blackberry yesterday morning and i must say, it's amazing.

However, the number one reason for me getting the bold is the 1 thing that's giving me problems.

I can't get my e-mails to work!!!

I went to 'e-mail setup' while my Bold was on it's innitial charge and entered my e-mail address, T.Lawton@CompenClaim.co.uk and my password.

SUCCESS! It's set up and working. Or so it says.

I decided to e-mail that account to see if the BB received it. It didn't.

Instead my Outlook received it.

So, i tried e-mailing my Hotmail account from the BB to see what happened.

I received the e-mail from T.Lawton@CompenClaim.co.uk, woo

So i tried replying to it to see if it would then go back to the BB, as it should.

It didn't.

It just sent back to my outlook.

As i say, i have never had a BB before and admit that the phone is better than i am. I just want to know how to use the basic things.

Thank you in advance

Kindest regards

Tom
    08-23-08 07:25 AM
    I am assuming you are using BIS since you said you just went to 'e-mail setup'.

You did all the correct steps, and you should be getting e-mails on your BB right away, even in some cases faster than your Outlook.

The only thing that I can think of that is causing you the problems is your mail account settings (either on the server or your outlook). Specifically the setting to delete e-mails once you retrieve them with POP3/IMAP (Outlook). Try to disable that setting, and if it still doesn't work try not even having your Outlook open. I suspect your Outlook is grabbing your e-mails and then deleting them off the server.
    08-23-08 07:49 AM
    08-23-08 07:53 AM
    I go onto blackberry.orange.co.uk and it asks for my PIN and IMEI, when i type the PIN and IMEI and click 'continue', i just get told that an account already exists for this PIN. ???
    08-23-08 08:10 AM
    Can you login using the same username and password you used to set up the BB? It should be the same.
    08-23-08 08:12 AM
    It doesn't give me the option to, it just asks for PIN and IMEI. Thanks for the help mate.
    08-23-08 08:46 AM
    found it. Ok lets have a look...
    08-23-08 08:49 AM
    i thought it would be CompenClaim, but i don't really remember, the guy in the Orange shop took it through the initial boot.

is there anywhere on the handset i can find the username?

Tom
    08-23-08 09:01 AM
    bumpage
    08-23-08 12:47 PM
    Have you called customer support? They can send the address package to you or something. Have you tried synching it with DM and see if it works?
    08-23-08 12:51 PM
    Well, on www.blackberry.orange.com where you enter your username and password, there is a 'need help' link. I clicked this and it gave me the phone number for Orange, but when i call it it just says "sorry, we are unable to process your call, goodbye" and hangs up.

Waste of time.
    08-23-08 01:02 PM
    Went back to www.blackberry.orange.com and clicked 'forgot password' then typed my PIN, clicked 'send' and it said "your password is now being sent to your Blackberry"....it hasn't though.

I may just employ someone to set all of this up for me.

Actually, the message has just arrives and says:-

You asked to have your password sent to your device.

User name and password don't exist. Please us your device to access Blackberry Internet Service.

WTF?!
    08-23-08 01:14 PM
    Compenclaim, follow this link and create a username.

BlackBerry Search Results

Orange should have given you one though, if this doesnt work contact them and they can reset things.
    Last edited by Hazysky; 08-23-08 at 01:39 PM.
    08-23-08 01:35 PM
    1) you have to make the username and password from the BlackBerry. It's under personal email set-up after you add an email. It will make you re validate the email after doing this. Untill then you have a long random number assigned to the phone and that is why it tells you an account is already made even though you don't have a user name yet.

2) there is a setting in Outlook that has to be changed. I don't remember all the steps but you have to change/modify the account get to an advance tab and select "leave copy on server" under delivery other wise Outlook hogs it and BlackBerry will never know its there.
    08-23-08 01:48 PM
    Thank you Redneck, i can now view my 2 e-mail accounts on BlackBerry Internet Service, i created a username as you said and it works.

Just need to know how to leave e-mails on the server. Try to remember for me, i will google it
    08-23-08 02:33 PM
    If Orange CS doesn't work, call the RIM support line and say "Activation" They must have seen this a million times
    08-23-08 02:52 PM
    Ok, i have managed to leave them on the server. Lets see if this works.

Tom
    08-23-08 02:56 PM
    Thank you Redneck, i can now view my 2 e-mail accounts on BlackBerry Internet Service, i created a username as you said and it works.

Just need to know how to leave e-mails on the server. Try to remember for me, i will google it

Go to tools > account settings in outlook (mine is 2007), select your email address then select 'change'. Click on advanced and select leave a copy on the server. Do this for each address.
    08-23-08 02:58 PM
    https://www.wireless.att.com/support...KB/KB3677.html

that will help you if you have 2002 or 2003

You know at&t pays me to do this stuff, were would you like me to send the bill? lol
    08-23-08 03:55 PM
    Sorry, didn't see post #17. Glad to hear its working for 'ya.
    08-23-08 03:56 PM
    Yes. All working a treat now. Only small issue is that it takes a while to receive them on the BB. It isn't a complaint though because 15 minutes isn't too long to wait.

Cheers everyone

Tom
    08-26-08 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD