Hi all,

I'm getting a little confused here. Wherever I do research people say the bold screen is just 1 piece and has to be replaced as a whole.

However in parts shops and eBay I find these:

Blackberry BOLD 9000 LCD Screen Lens Glass Replacement

Sometimes with glue, sometimes without.

So - what are these for? If the screen is one piece how can these be fitted?

Anyone ever seen how to remove glass lense from screen and replace with new lense?

It must be possible, else why would these be sold all over the place?

Thanks for any tips!

Chris
    03-17-09 07:37 AM
    That's the plastic bit that covers the LCD. If you scratch your screen what you're scratching is the lens and not the LCD (unless you happen to actually crack the LCD or apply excessive force to the screen which affects both the lens and the LCD).
    03-17-09 09:58 AM
    Exactly! However:

1) This is actually Glass - note the words: "Lens *Glass* Replacement"

2) When you see videos of 9000s being taken apart this seems to form part of the screen. They take out the LCD and the Glass Lens is attached to it.

3) I've read in several forums that the LCD and this glass cover are actually just one piece. And when you scratch the "Glass Lens" you need to replace the entire LCD with the lens.

So my question remains: if 3) is correct, how come they sell the lens individually?

If it is not correct - where can I find a gude/tutorial/video explaining how exactly you separate the Glass Lens from the LCD and stick on a new one?

There is nothing on this on the entire Internet - very strange - while there's a gazillion guides on how to change the trackball... so I remain confused and still dont' know:

1) can it be done?
    2) how can it be done?
    3) anyone here done it?

Thanks again

Chris
    03-17-09 10:13 AM
    Im not sure, but heres an eBay auction that shows to two pieces separated..

Linky.
    03-17-09 11:00 AM
    Yup, that's what I see all over the place, too.

But whenever I ask how to fit these people say: It's just one piece.

Does really no-one know about this?

Cheers

Chris
    03-17-09 06:01 PM
    all i know is that the glass is stuck to the lcd with a glue, i have heard of people getting it off by blow-drying it for a while till the glue gets warm and carefully peeling it off and putting on a new one. they have said that it is very hard to do and very east to break the lcd screen. you might as well get the piece as a whole..
    03-17-09 07:34 PM
    It's not just one piece, it is held togetther by a glue-like substance. The picture above shows how it's like. I have never taken it apart so I don't really know other than research done online.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 07:37 PM
    I took my Bold apart yesterday to fit the bezel and trackball, and the screen gives the apperance of being one unit, even though the pics shown in this thread suggest that it can be split into two components. For what its worth, I definitely wouldn't want to fool around with splitting the screen in two... if my screen got damaged, I'd buy the whole unit, I know that's more expensive but would be worth it I think (unless you have good skills with electronics, which i proved to myself that I don't when fitting a black trackball 4 times lol!)
    03-17-09 07:47 PM
    03-17-09 07:57 PM
    Thanks a lot for all the replies!

I've also seen these pieces at CNN, thanks for that.

The hairdryer strategy is the best I've seen so far on the topic. That makes sense. It's physically possible but really difficult to get right!

I guess a new unit it will be then. It was just precaution in any case, mine is still perfect. I just wanted to know how well I have to treat it

Thanks again

Chris
    03-17-09 09:32 PM
    the image above is of two lcd screens with the lens attached to both
    06-28-09 07:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD