Have been using this moderately for 2 months, and was horrified when the little circular silver socket for the earphones came out when I pulled the official Blackberry headset out. Was even more horrified to see that the plastic broke off, and that it looks like it is actually mounted onto the chassis/PCB of the actual phone itself, not the silver bezel around?

Anyone else had this problem, or had any success fixing it?

07-16-09 04:28 AM
    from what i hear you have to send it to a certified repair shop or back to rim b/c it's soldered onto the board itself....
    07-16-09 05:18 AM
    Thanks - that's not good news, but I will need to do it... anyone else had any experience with this?
    07-16-09 05:20 AM
    If you've only used it for two months why not check in to warranty coverage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 05:46 AM
    Yeah the cover will be no problem, not having the phone for 2-4 weeks will be the problem....

07-16-09 05:48 AM
    I think that they send you the new (refurb) within days and then you send your old one in.

I've never read of this happening to anyone else here.
    07-16-09 06:57 AM
    I see that you are not on AT&T but Maybe if you PM this person, he could steer you in the right direction.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/t-w...orries-239713/
    07-16-09 07:02 AM
    from what i hear you have to send it to a certified repair shop or back to rim b/c it's soldered onto the board itself....
    Bad information. RIM does not deal in customer repairs. Your service provider deals with warranty exchange. I have yet to see an authorized repair provider for any cell phone.

07-16-09 08:27 AM
    Yup, and here in South Africa the turnaround time slooooooooow...

07-16-09 08:54 AM
    Bad information. RIM does not deal in customer repairs. Your service provider deals with warranty exchange. I have yet to see an authorized repair provider for any cell phone.

well sorry for the bad information, i was just relaying information i read in another thread regarding headphone jack repair. i guess i should have made it clear that i have not had experience with this process.

maybe there are no authorized repair shops, but there may be professional shops that are able to fix it, IF you are not in a warranty situation.
    07-16-09 10:38 AM
    same story, second verse here.

I've tried calling this in for "warranty work" to AT&T 3 different times (with 3 diff operators) and all said the same thing:
    "not considered warranty work for AT&T, call RIM"

RIM said more or less the same thing:
    "this is not RIM's warranty, maybe your carrier will help you:

well, that obviously doesnt work, so RIM, can you fix it
    "RIM can fix it, but unfortunately it falls under a 'minimum fix' price of $200"

I think that's total BS, but that's what I was told.

here was a gem of an answer too:
    "well, your bluetooth still works, use that for headphones"

hopefully there's a better answer as my bold is my "main phone" and I used the headphones quite a bit when working on my laptop and also as a mp3 player. what's the point of having a 16g card when I cant listen to the music on it?????

crappy workmanship if you ask me, to have an unsupported piece of plastic in a place that gets a lot of stress put on it.

ETA: mine broke when the phone was about 2 months old as well.
    07-16-09 10:46 AM
    I just had the same thing happen to me with almost exactly the same run-around from AT&T and RIM. There's a guy who works on BB phones in my hometown that I"ll contact and see what he says.

PDA Repair World - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices
    07-27-09 08:29 AM
    Had the same thing happen to me. I've ordered (and received) a new piece from cnn.cn

Unfortunatley, the whole unit is soldered to the main board. We do not have a service centre in my country. I learned how to disassemble and then assemble my bold from this site. I'm planning on going to a phone technician and have him solder the new piece.

Any thoughts?
    07-27-09 09:27 AM
    Well, I just sent mine off to PDA Repair World in Houston for repair. best case scenario, about $5 to replace the plastic, worst case, around $80 to solder in a new jack. The soldering seems a bit out of my league and I'd rather have it done by someone who does it for a living. Either way, that still beats the h*ll out of RIM & AT&T and their money grubbing.
    07-27-09 11:12 AM
    Zagg.com makes a really good stereo headset. I've been very happy with it. Plus they stand behind the products. One of mine shorted after a few months of very hardcore usage and they sent me a brand new replacement, no questions. Their warranties are excellent.
    07-27-09 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD