Can applications be stored and run from a microSD card?
    07-22-09 04:29 PM
    No, they cannot.
    07-22-09 04:31 PM
    That's what I thought. There are so many cool Bold apps and so little app memory. Hopefully, the Bold's successor will have at least 16GB.
    07-22-09 05:02 PM
    16 GBs of on board memory? I highly doubt it, perhaps 2 (and dare I say 3) but not 16.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 08:29 PM
    That's what I thought. There are so many cool Bold apps and so little app memory. Hopefully, the Bold's successor will have at least 16GB.
    There's more than you think. Load it up, it will be ok.
    07-22-09 08:53 PM
    Been thinkin for awhile. I think there must be a very good reason for RIM not to let users install apps on their external memory.
    I'm not a techie though, so can anybody give us an enlightment on this issue?

-judgin how programs seem to run a lot slower on platforms that let apps be installed on external cards, that's probably why (yes, I'm talkin about you, symbian and winmo!)
    07-22-09 08:54 PM
    From what I've read I believe it is a carry-over from their military testing days. By allowing apps to be stored only in the onboard flash memory, I believe it allowed for remote deletes of information in case your blackberry fell into the wrong hands.

So like as soon as the guy who has your BB turned it on, you would be able to remove and delete your data remotely. If they allowed it to be stored on the device hard disk or a memory card your information could be compromised.

I think it is ridiculous though. It is the the only thing holding BB Apps back while Apple is taking off like crazy.

Think about it, if they just allowed apps in device memory, there would be hardly any reason to upgrade from the Bold when you had 1 GB on onboard memory.

But you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. The Onyx which is the supposed Bold-upgrade only boasts 256 mb internal app memory.
    07-23-09 02:30 AM
    No,you cannot.
    07-23-09 02:31 AM
    Maybe the BB Pluto (needs a better name) will have 1GB of app memory.

07-23-09 06:22 AM
    I wish they would let you use all of the memory on the device for whatever you want to.

That way you could use the device memory for apps, pictures, music, etc.

07-23-09 06:58 AM
    Same... I could understand back then when BB's were new and being tested and how you wouldn't want things to fall into the wrong hands, but now BB's have moved away from the military and other "espionage" units, towards a mass audience.

I don' see why it's still a security issue if "susie" loses her curve and some punk teen can see her twilight pictures, apps etc...

I don't think the Pluto will be 1 gb... I think we should count our blessings that maybe RIM would allow for 512 mb. But you have to remember. They develop these things very early on and so theoretically it could still be using 256 mb memory.

I mean the Onyx will be the latest device to be released and it will be using the Storm's camera, same memory as the curve 8900 and possibly the same processor 624 mhz speed as the bold.
    07-24-09 08:32 PM
    Apparently some CAN be stored on a memory card with a program called "Aerize Card Loader 2008". I didn't think that they could, either, but in a different thread a user said that he used that application and wondered if it was compatible with the Bold. I checked and it is. I'll post the link below...

Aerize Card Loader 2008 - SD card install utility - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    07-24-09 11:18 PM
    Anyone tried that program above yet?
    07-29-09 07:27 AM
    Aerize is horse ****. It doesn't truly run the apps from the SD card.

There IS rumour that App World 1.1 will allow installation of apps on SD card.
    07-29-09 07:40 AM
    Not yet, but RIM is working on it.
    07-29-09 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD