Hey folks.

I'm trying to buy a BB 9780 that has no battery. So I was wondering what happens when you try to charge the BB without a battery? Any signs that would indicate that the BB is somewhat functional?

Also, what would happen when you try to connect the BB without a battery to your computer?

Thanks in advance!
    07-03-11 01:02 PM
    It will not turn on and nothing will be functional except the screen showing that the battery is missing.
    07-03-11 01:04 PM
    So the screen will show a sign that the battery is missing?

I feel like that's a good enough indication for me.
    07-03-11 01:09 PM
    That's a pretty big risk. If you can't boot it up, how do you know if the LCD isn't damaged? I would find a friend with a 9000, 9700 or 9780 to go with you and borrow their battery to test out the phone first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-03-11 01:57 PM
    Yeah,what satanberry said

Risky, mate. I understand you might want to cut back but you'd have to buy a battery anyway if you do decide to get the phone. Did you ask the seller what happened to the battery?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-03-11 08:51 PM
    Very risky indeed! You need to boot up the device and even insert your SIM card if possible. Once you buy it, it is yours!

A battery is a small price to pay to avoid a bricked device.
    07-04-11 06:57 AM
    I took a gamble and went for it. It was $60 and was in a fairly decent condition (few scratches here and there). I ordered a generic battery off ebay, so hopefully this thing works. A red LED light turned on when I tried charging it without the battery, so hopefully everything else works.

This is just going to be my transitional phone from now until February, when I can upgrade. I just wanted to sell my iPhone 4, which I'm not too fond of, so I wanted a BB. Yum. Hopefully this thing works haha.
    07-04-11 03:17 PM
    Next step is to have your carrier change you to a BIS plan so you can use it. This will tell if it works quickly.

Welcome to Blackberry!
    07-04-11 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD