Going to Sydney (from UK) in a few days. Can I disable my "Mobile Network" & the 2x options in "Data Services" so I cant recieve SMS / Calls (cost to much) but usethe WiFi in the hotel (FREE) or at my friends house to do FaceBook & Skype?

Would that work with Mobile & Data OFF???

Are these the only settings to DISABLE to stop my charges ? Dont want a BILL when I get home from Three

Thanks
    08-20-11 06:12 AM
    Just tried to DISABLE Data option. Load up my Wifi & its connected (shows VirginMedia on top of phone).

Try & load FaceBook, Twitter or Browser & it says no connection....

???
    08-20-11 06:27 AM
    No it wont. It will need an active mobile connection with Data enabled(EDGE/3G). Some applications can prefer Wi-Fi(when available) over cellular network, but the phone is designed to let the Apps connect to Wi-Fi only when an active Cellular network is avaialble. Atleast thats my experince so far, my network drops in some areas of the house, so the the App wont transfer data even over the Wi-Fi network.
    08-20-11 06:49 AM
    Data ON
    WiFi ON
    Data OFF while ROAMING
    08-20-11 06:55 AM
    You could get a prepaid SIM with BIS services. it will eliminate any roaming charges. You'll just need to unlock your blackberry for that option to be used. Oh and skype for blackberry only works on verizon mobile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 07:43 AM
    Data ON
    WiFi ON
    Data OFF while ROAMING
    So with DATA on, wont I get billed EXTRA though? As I'm not in UK?

You could get a prepaid SIM with BIS services. it will eliminate any roaming charges. You'll just need to unlock your blackberry for that option to be used. Oh and skype for blackberry only works on verizon mobile.
    Verizon & Three (UK) allow Skype then... Looks like I may just use BlackBerry as my Camera ohh dear
    08-21-11 02:56 AM
    I disagree. You can get on the net without any SIM card and hence no ch,ce of being charged. I have done that all over the world to check email etc I do not know about Skype.

08-21-11 04:31 AM
    I disagree. You can get on the net without any SIM card and hence no ch,ce of being charged. I have done that all over the world to check email etc I do not know about Skype.

I agree. One can get onto Internet (and thereby any Internet based app) without BIS being active thru WiFi. I have tried and it works, even Youtube. Not sure about Skype though.
    08-22-11 04:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD