I am new to the BB world and later this week I will be getting my first BB which is the 9700 Bold which has been unlocked and was previously locked to Orange UK.

It has been normal in the past with Orange that they also lock out certain things with the phone OS and I was wondering if there is anything I will need to do to configure it for O2 or whether it would be possible to debrand it so any issues could be avoided.

Also if I was to upgrade to BB6 OS would it get locked back to Orange and if so would there be anyway of flashing an unbranded BB6 to it
    09-21-11 10:51 AM
    I am new to the BB world and later this week I will be getting my first BB which is the 9700 Bold which has been unlocked and was previously locked to Orange UK.

It has been normal in the past with Orange that they also lock out certain things with the phone OS and I was wondering if there is anything I will need to do to configure it for O2 or whether it would be possible to debrand it so any issues could be avoided.

Also if I was to upgrade to BB6 OS would it get locked back to Orange and if so would there be anyway of flashing an unbranded BB6 to it
    Once a Blackberry is unlocked it will stay unlocked but you cannot remove the branding which is basically a startup/shutdown splash screen.

You can upgrade to OS6 without locking the phone and you can use any OS6 file once you follow proper upgrading instructions.
    Gavincol78 likes this.
    09-21-11 10:59 AM
    My next question is there a way of installing apps which have been downloaded to a PC and transferred to the BB like in the android and iphones. or is it like WP7 phones which can only be installed using the built-in marketplace?
    09-21-11 11:42 AM
    My next question is there a way of installing apps which have been downloaded to a PC and transferred to the BB like in the android and iphones. or is it like WP7 phones which can only be installed using the built-in marketplace?
    Most apps are downloaded via OTA (Over the Air) by using the Blackberry browser but you can install some thru the PC using Blackberry Desktop Manager or other BB software.
    09-21-11 11:48 AM
    Debranding is illegal and cannot be discussed.
    For apps, google's your best friend. Whichever isn't in app world, could be found on the web. Just google App Name blackberry ota and you'll get good results.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-11 03:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD