This is by far my biggest cause of annoyance and anger over my most excellent new phone. In my old phone (the bold 9000) I could turn on the radio, after the Gods deemed it should be off, by using quicklaunch.

But with my new phone, I can no longer do this. Even if I go into the connections pref, by tapping the clock bar, and manually try to start the radio, I get the same error.

What annoys me most is this happens even when the phone is plugged into the charger. And I know, if you wanted to be pedantic, I can't complain because it says the battery is too low, and it's perfectly logical that time is needed before the battery is charged up to a point before the radio I turned on again.

But I don't really feel like being logical at this point. Please someone tell me there is a way to turn the radio on when it goes off. It's driving me mad. I should get to decide whether how fast I want my phone to become a (temporary) paperweight.

Thanks a ton and sorry for the rant.
    02-05-12 10:50 PM
    Don't let the battery get that low before you charge it.

Charge early.
    02-05-12 10:54 PM
    Don't let the battery get that low before you charge it.

Charge early.
    But that's not the point. Sometimes you can't but you still need your phone to work. That's why I want to know if there is a way. Notwithstanding all the arguments of "just charging your phone more often".
    02-05-12 11:03 PM
    But that's not the point. Sometimes you can't but you still need your phone to work. That's why I want to know if there is a way. Notwithstanding all the arguments of "just charging your phone more often".
    Spare battery. Your phone will be out of service only for the time it takes to reboot.
    02-06-12 02:57 AM
    Yea spare battery works wonders BUT! I am still with you on this annoyance..and ima take it one step further. What really annoys me most about this notification warning is that its never at a preset percentage of battery.. Sometimes my radio will shut off at 2% or sometimes 5% even had times when it shuts off at 0% with about 15min left of life...and then there are times when it shuts off at 8-9%!!! WTF!!! Almost 10% battery left and yourtelling me its too low to use the radio?! Eff you!!
    02-06-12 04:12 AM
    It makes sure you can still access your contact numbers even if you can't use the phone. It kicks in earlier or later depending on what apps you have running at the time.

If you're on a call already the call will not be intrerupted untill very late.

Get a spare battery. I like it the way it is, it's a failsafe.
    02-06-12 05:20 AM
    actually i quite like this feature as well. at least my contacts are still available so i can still borrow a phone or public phone, but that is under normal non emergency situations of course. in rare unforeseen circumstances though it would still be nice to able to turn it on at least for a text. imagine if your vehicle breaks down in the middle of no where with no one or public phones, it would be useful to be able to send a text to friends and family for help. i understand that emergency numbers like 911 still works, but i mean you dont call 911 for a ride or tow truck.

it would be nice to be able to input your own set of emergency contacts, that will force the radio on.

but oh well, i always make sure i have an extra batt if i know i wont be near a power source for a while, or charge my phone as often as i can. i still maintain that its a brilliant feature. its one of those things that i dont even know i need until i realised its there.

imagine if you're already low on batt and you dont realise how low it is, but the radio is still on. then someone calls you and it ends up killing your phone. i mean that would be even more frustrating. ending up with no contacts at all. haha. true story.
    02-06-12 05:39 AM
    Don't get me wrong. I think this is a great feature. Makes the phone last a heck of a lot longer in the end. I'm not making an argument for the feature to be removed so there is no reason for everyone to defend it.

I simply wanted to know if there was a way to override it. And from the responses, I take it the answer is no. I don't like not having the option. I wasn't really asking for anything new and revolutionary. I was able to do it in my old bold.
    02-06-12 09:15 AM
    I think there are many different issues involved in how much power the phone will put out. I think coverage plays a role as does the network you are on. Plus consider your fancy new phone is using more power for the display and whatever else it might be asked to do at the time. This is the price of progress...gone are the good ol' days of tinkering with carburetors. Welcome to EFI.
    02-06-12 09:22 AM
    You have to be very quick and careful at this. Basically call 999 or any emergency number and end the call instantly before connection. Your Blackberry should have connected to the mobile network and bypassed the error.
    However, the battery drains pretty quick and will die soon after you do this, so be quick during the call. Also, since this tip involves calling an emergency number, be careful while doing it and do not do it unless you are certain of the problems calling an emergency number will cause you. Follow and use this tip at your own risk.
    02-07-12 07:27 PM
    You have to be very quick and careful at this. Basically call 999 or any emergency number and end the call instantly before connection. Your Blackberry should have connected to the mobile network and bypassed the error.
    However, the battery drains pretty quick and will die soon after you do this, so be quick during the call. Also, since this tip involves calling an emergency number, be careful while doing it and do not do it unless you are certain of the problems calling an emergency number will cause you. Follow and use this tip at your own risk.
    You are aware this is actually illegal and that the radio shutting off is by design. It is not an "error".
    02-07-12 07:33 PM
    This is by far my biggest cause of annoyance and anger over my most excellent new phone. In my old phone (the bold 9000) I could turn on the radio, after the Gods deemed it should be off, by using quicklaunch.

But with my new phone, I can no longer do this. Even if I go into the connections pref, by tapping the clock bar, and manually try to start the radio, I get the same error.

What annoys me most is this happens even when the phone is plugged into the charger. And I know, if you wanted to be pedantic, I can't complain because it says the battery is too low, and it's perfectly logical that time is needed before the battery is charged up to a point before the radio I turned on again.

But I don't really feel like being logical at this point. Please someone tell me there is a way to turn the radio on when it goes off. It's driving me mad. I should get to decide whether how fast I want my phone to become a (temporary) paperweight.

Thanks a ton and sorry for the rant.
    More annoying is you posting this stupid baseless rant here. Go buy a 2nd battery and try and keep it charged, if you can figure that out, or better yet...go buy an iPHONE.

Wow...
    wolfee48 likes this.
    02-08-12 01:36 AM
    Mine done this yesterday for the first time. I'm glad it did because if you let lithium battery's run too flat it ruins them just like car battery's.

Its an excellent failsafe feature.

Carry a second battery around in your wallet.
    02-08-12 04:30 AM
    More annoying is you posting this stupid baseless rant here. Go buy a 2nd battery and try and keep it charged, if you can figure that out, or better yet...go buy an iPHONE.

Wow...

speaking of useless rants, nice one!!!!
    02-08-12 07:30 AM
    Click to view quoted image

speaking of useless rants, nice one!!!!
    Oh nice...no need to play the race card here....
    Last edited by sulcopete; 02-08-12 at 08:14 AM.
    02-08-12 08:11 AM
    Sorry that was a bad joke.
    02-08-12 08:16 AM
    Both WiFi and GSM radios can be re-enabled using Enginering Screen (link).
    Tested on my Bold 9900.

• WiFi : WiFi 802.11 Engineering screens -> Radio events -> Options / Turn on radio
    • 2G/3G : Multi-WAF Engineering Screens -> Radio control engineering screen -> Radio 3GPP -> Actions / Activate radio
    02-08-12 08:21 AM
    RIM have put this in just incase you need too view pictures with a low battery :P
    02-09-12 08:29 PM
    Dial 911 immediately hang up. Wala radio is back on. Thank you and your welcome.
    12-17-13 08:32 AM