I saw another thead about how quickly your BB reboots after a battery pull. Several posters were stating times around 1-2 minutes, with some even less.

I got curious so I tried this on mine. I'm not sure what criteria they used to classify a reboot done, but below is what I used (Seemed reasonable at the time)

Start: As soon as the notification led goes red (usually takes a few seconds after inserting battery, more than enough to flip the phone over and get ready to push start on a stopwatch)

Stop: Whe Security has been verified and phone is 'usable'.

My first run was 4 min 46 seconds.

After removing a majority of my apps (I removed Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Opera Mini, and MyFitnessPal) my reboot was 4 min 34 seconds. This is not a noticable improvement in overall reboot time.

Is there any way to improve this? Sitting at close to 5 minutes to reboot seems a bit much. Am I the only only one with a 9650 having such a slow reboot?
    04-21-11 01:58 PM
    It has a lot to do with what OS you're running. When I was on 5.0 my reboot time was around 4- 4.5 minutes. Now on BB6 it's about a minute faster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 02:32 PM
    I'm running BB6 431.
    04-21-11 02:34 PM
    Don't complain - my boot time on OS 5.xxx is over 10 minutes - yes, TEN MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    04-21-11 02:47 PM
    Don't complain - my boot time on OS 5.xxx is over 10 minutes - yes, TEN MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    holy crow F2!! wTH?!? 10 mins.on 5? why so long? On os5 i was at about 4-5mins and on os6 i'm at 2- 2 1/2 mins.

my S2 took just about 10mins. used to make me wanna throw the damn thing.....
    04-21-11 03:34 PM
    My boot time is around 2 1/2 min. I have only one very plain homemade theme, alot of themes can bog down your device. Also, some have reported the security/memory cleaner feature when enabled slows down reboots.( i use it) I believe it is enabled by default. The other thing as was mentioned the os makes a difference. What version of 6 etc. I run a 524/534 hybrid combo and keep my bold very lean. Have 93% available program memory usually. Also, another thing that slows stuff is saved texts/emails bbm's etc. I delete when done.
    Finally, I reboot(3 key press) every morning. Maybe helps. For my peace of mind if nothing else.
    04-21-11 04:51 PM
    I reboot mine every morning. As for deleting emails and what not, I can't really do that if they are work related. The only personal email I keep on it has to deal with family matters. I'm going to clean off some more programs and switch back to default theme for the next test.

04-21-11 05:01 PM
    Yep it all comes down to what version OS you are running.

But most can avg between 3-5 mins.
    04-21-11 05:45 PM
    FWIW, I went back to 431 briefly and found it to be very slow and quirky compared to the os I was previously running. I couldn't wait to get it off my bold. A lot of people have good luck with it(431) so just sayin'.

04-21-11 05:51 PM
    Ia m running .524 and am averaging 3 and 1/2 minutes now, the best i have ever achieved.
    04-21-11 06:17 PM
    holy crow F2!! wTH?!? 10 mins.on 5? why so long? On os5 i was at about 4-5mins and on os6 i'm at 2- 2 1/2 mins.

my S2 took just about 10mins. used to make me wanna throw the damn thing.....
    I know the feeling. The damn thing just bounces off my plaster and lath walls!

I don't reboot often. I just hope I'm not in a situation where it locks up and needs rebooting but I NEED the phone.

I don't have that many contacts and a very skimpy calendar. I am not sure that I even have the task manager. I don't text nor bbm. I do have a bunch of apps.
    04-21-11 06:44 PM
    I know the feeling. The damn thing just bounces off my plaster and lath walls!

I don't reboot often. I just hope I'm not in a situation where it locks up and needs rebooting but I NEED the phone.

I don't have that many contacts and a very skimpy calendar. I am not sure that I even have the task manager. I don't text nor bbm. I do have a bunch of apps.
    wow, you don't keep much on your bb idk why it takes so long to reboot. Do you have a lot of media, like songs & pix, wp's? If so that could be why it takes so long from indexing everything possibly. Only other thing I can think of.
    04-21-11 07:37 PM
    I do have tons of music and a couple of gigs of movies. Yup to pics, too.

I'm trying to recall if I rebooted without the sd card at one time trying to see if that would speed things up.
    04-21-11 07:45 PM
    Mines about 4 minutes. I've never been able to get the 2-3 minutes others have. Personally, it doesn't bother me.
    04-21-11 08:00 PM
    I do have tons of music and a couple of gigs of movies. Yup to pics, too.

I'm trying to recall if I rebooted without the sd card at one time trying to see if that would speed things up.
    ahhh, that could be the culprit then-all your media.
    well, if it bothers you that much, and you want to see if it makes a difference, reboot w/out your sd card installed and see what results you get. If you decide to do that, post back with your results if you could I'd be interested in what you come back with.

04-21-11 08:08 PM
    #1 time killer is memory clean, #2 OS, beyond that, it's your app mix, what you keep clean, blah blah blah. I'm amused by those that freak out over a minute or two. If it's that damn pressing it always stays on, pull the battery when you take a bath/shower, and don't upgrade a thing till just before. I snatch a tracfone from a little old lady, when the boot bar takes too long, and I start to shake. Clears it right up.

My two cents of the day
    04-21-11 09:40 PM
    Why don't you set an auto-reboot in QL or Meterberry and have it reboot your device before you get up in the morning? Then it's ready to go and you don't have to physically pull the battery and wait for it?

Or do a battery pull before you go to bed.
    04-22-11 06:19 AM
    Just out of curiosity, I pulled the SD out and timed it from putting in the battery to fully up and running and got 4:23. I'm running .524 and got a few aftermarket apps installed too. That's not bad and considering I don't actually pull my battery or reboot that often it's not bad.
    04-22-11 11:16 AM
    I snatch a tracfone from a little old lady, when the boot bar takes too long, and I start to shake. Clears it right up.

My two cents of the day
    I might have to try that one the next time I reboot. Any suggestions on a good technique? Just grab and go or work in pairs and use a distract and snatch approach?
    Last edited by middbrew; 04-22-11 at 08:32 PM.
    04-22-11 08:30 PM
    I might have to try that one the next time I reboot. Any suggestions on a good technique? Just grab and go or work in pairs and use a distract and snatch approach?
    A. Never when it's more than one
    B. Try to find one with her purse in one hand/arm, and trackfone in the other
    C. Tug at purse, thus causing her to react to that side
    D. Snatch trackfone from other hand
    E. Try to trip her. She may look slow, but you never know
    F. Try to always do it in a crowd. Much easier to disappear
    G. Don't drop your BlackBerry in the process. Holstered is best
    H. If you suspect you're about to be caught, ditch the trackfone in a good hiding spot. That way you can accuse her of dementia
    I. If all else fails, and you are caught, try the truth. Most police carry BlackBerries. They'll understand
    04-22-11 11:34 PM
    mine only takes 3 minutes and i have a boat load of apps on it. i am running 6/524
    04-24-11 09:57 AM
    Why don't you set an auto-reboot in QL or Meterberry and have it reboot your device before you get up in the morning? Then it's ready to go and you don't have to physically pull the battery and wait for it?

Or do a battery pull before you go to bed.
    I'm currently using the auto on/off feature to turn my phone off at 10 PM and back on at 6AM. I also have it scheduled to re-boot (right now I'm using QuickPull) every morning at 6:15. I'm thinking that should be enough to turn on and grab any pending messages before reboot. As a general rule, I don't touch the BB till 6:50 when I'm walking out the door, and then it's just to unlock it and make sure the reboot went fine.

The time it takes really isn't a big deal since I give it a solid 35 minutes to do it, I was just curious.

I reboot because of (apparent) memory leaks, not because it takes forever.
    Last edited by MountainProud; 04-25-11 at 07:58 AM.
    04-25-11 07:54 AM
    I never really timed mine but I would say about 2 minutes or so, I normally just reboot it and leave it then come back after 5 minutes or so to make sure everything went okay.
    04-25-11 07:28 PM
    Mine takes about 1.5-2 minutes stock, and 3-4 when I put all my apps on there.
    04-25-11 10:29 PM
    Initial reboot 2-3 min. but I normally holster it and let it go. I rather everything come through and be populated before I go to use the device.
    04-26-11 07:40 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD