Much like powering off a PC before its safe and removing a flash drive without safely removing, is battery pulling harmful for the bb, especially if the media player is running? Despite there being no moving parts, the flash memory may still be volatile or become corrupted right?
    02-01-09 04:51 PM
    No harm in battery pulls. Sometimes they help fix problems.
    02-01-09 04:59 PM
    Battery pull is the only option!!!!
    02-01-09 05:00 PM
    I'd say no since nothing is being written to memory, only read(at least in the case with music). Personally I never battery pull, I use left alt+right shift+del, it is the built in software equiv battery pull I've been using for a while, no need to use other programs I've seen out there either

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-09 05:00 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, RIM recommends it on their website so I imagine it's safe to do.

02-01-09 05:06 PM
    battery pull frees up more mem and resolves more probs than ctrl alt del. still just curious
    02-01-09 05:07 PM
    It is almost perfectly safe. There's almost never a problem. I'd never seen a problem, until this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/ghos...-appear-51235/

After that fiasco, I don't tell people it's perfectly safe. If you can correct the problem with a soft reset, you should. No question, there are some problems that can only be fixed by a battery pull. In that case the benefit clearly outweighs the risk. But there is a slight risk. Always make a backup if you can, just in case.
    02-01-09 06:16 PM
    Battery Pull = Savior

Most times...
    02-01-09 06:25 PM
    There is absolutely no harm in doing a battery pull with your phone. I normally do one on my phone every 1-2 days just to free up memory, and keep my phone running fast!
    02-01-09 06:30 PM
    There is absolutely no harm in doing a battery pull with your phone. I normally do one on my phone every 1-2 days just to free up memory, and keep my phone running fast!
    That is not good advice. Nor is it necessary unless you are running some very ill-behaved app. Take whatever risks you wish with your own phone, but read my previous post.
    02-01-09 06:34 PM
    I'd say no since nothing is being written to memory, only read(at least in the case with music). Personally I never battery pull, I use left alt+right shift+del, it is the built in software equiv battery pull I've been using for a while, no need to use other programs I've seen out there either

Many consider this a a Soft Reset

Soft Reset = Shift + Alt + Del
    Hard Reset = Battery Pull

I notice that a hard reset frees up more memory for me than a soft reset. If your BlackBerry device is acting up, it makes more sense to physically remove the battery than request your device to restart (cuz your device is the one acting up in the first place).

But to answer the question, no, I do not believe that a hard reset is bad for your device
    02-01-09 06:40 PM
    Interesting replies. Thanks for the helpful info.

02-01-09 07:00 PM
    gonna try battery pull..
    btw, got question
    do you do the battery pull when the device is on, or after u turn it off?
    02-01-09 07:41 PM
    I always do it when its on

02-01-09 07:45 PM
    I turn my phone off before pulling the battery (just superstitious I guess )

I haven't had to perform a battery pull to correct an issue (yet). I do perform alt-shift-delete restarts from time to time to refresh memory or after a software install/update. I've compared the amount of memory I regain from alt-shift-delete vs battery pull and didn't see a difference.
    Last edited by Mode; 02-01-09 at 07:58 PM.
    02-01-09 07:55 PM
    hmm...
    ok ok..
    will try to do both!
    hhehehe..
    on and off
    02-01-09 08:31 PM
    i remembered i deleted a app an it requried my bb to restart so when it came back on i was missin like half the stuff on my bb and i did a battery pull and then turned on my phone and all my stuff came back
    02-01-09 08:43 PM
    Why do people think there is a "soft" reset and a "hard" reset. THEY ARE THE SAME THING. Look it up, it has even been posted by some mod's on here. I laugh every time I read these posts.
    02-01-09 10:20 PM
    Much like powering off a PC before its safe and removing a flash drive without safely removing, is battery pulling harmful for the bb, especially if the media player is running? Despite there being no moving parts, the flash memory may still be volatile or become corrupted right?
    I say it's harmful to do while riding a motorcycle, or in a roller coaster. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing a battery pull while doing a bungee jump.
    02-01-09 10:24 PM
    i agree that it is never perfectly safe
    but on the flip-side, it does solve quite a few quirks.
    so unless needed, i don't bother pulling the battery
    02-02-09 01:39 AM
    I use a SoftReset software and it serves the purpose. Need to do a battery pull once in 2 weeks.
    02-02-09 01:49 AM
    battery pulls are never my first option. always troubleshoot and if nothing comes of that as a last measure pull the battery
    02-02-09 01:52 AM
    Anyone else have comments on the SoftReset sw that rnbco mentioned?

I did a battery pull yesterday after my Bold crashed and now my battery cover creaks on the left side, so I consider that "harmful" =\
    02-02-09 01:57 AM
    is it safe to soft reboot(alt+shft+del) regularly??
    i use whatts app actively. after a certain period of time i see that i am not able to send or receive IMs. Once i soft reboot it, t starts working again.
    so is soft reboot the only solution??
    or there is some permanent solution.
    i have updated my software OS 5.0 few days back but no use and is definitely not due to OS problem.
    can anyone plz help me???
    Thanks....
    10-24-13 09:35 AM
    It is perfectly safe to alt-shft-del whenever you need to. If your device isn't responding to the keyboard, you can simply remove the battery, leave it out a few seconds, then put it back. The problem you're experiencing is usually caused when the OS runs out of memory and can't recover it through the normal process. The only permanent solution is to use fewer apps. That defeats the purpose of having a smart phone in the first place. Rebooting is a safe and effective alternative.
    10-24-13 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD