Hey guys, I've had my blackberry bold for about a month and a half now. I recently bought a new one when my other one got water damaged. For the past 2 days I've left my phone completely die before charging it. For some reason my phone has only been charged for 50% today. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoud because I haven't given it an acceptable time to charge but I just feel like it doesn't take this long. My battery can't be drained because i JUST got my blackberry a month and a couple weeks ago. What should I do?
    08-15-11 09:10 PM
    When you let the battery drain until the device turns off, it can sometimes mess with the battery indicator. The best advice I have is to charge every time you sleep and let it charge to 100%. You can reset the battery indicator by removing the battery, plug the device to the charger, insert the battery and let it fully charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 08:06 AM
    Its not good to let modern batteries die all the time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 10:18 AM
    Thanks guys! It ended up charging completely I just needed to give it some time. From now on I won't let it get to the red/low battery before charging it. I think by 45% I should charge it?
    08-16-11 10:28 AM
    Another battery question, I bought what was advertised as a new BB 9780 battery off of ebay but it would die completely at 50% and then when I would charge it it would only take like 20-30 minutes. When I e-mailed the seller about this problem his response was any new battery isn't going to be as good as the one that came with your phone. Is that true or is this person just trying to cover their *** for selling me a used battery?
    08-16-11 10:40 AM
    There are a lot of cheap fake batteries that look like the real thing. Can be tricky to tell if you have a genuine or a knock off product.
    08-16-11 11:07 AM
    There are a lot of cheap fake batteries that look like the real thing. Can be tricky to tell if you have a genuine or a knock off product.
    So my battery is either a genuine used one or a knock off.
    08-17-11 12:27 PM
    Look closely at the labels of all the batteries you can get your hands on. How similar are they?

How much shorter is the life of this new battery? If both are fully charged, what kind of difference do you see in their life. (Tricky to test as you can't make the phone act identically on those two occasions, but you get a good idea)

The Chinese knockoffs are often spotted by silly errors on the labels. Or printing that is misaligned. Also check what is actually inscribed into the battery plastic.

My Blackberry phone clearly has shiny engravings of the Blackberry brand in the back. With a "M-S1" and a picture of a padlock in the corner.

Then on the flip side is lots of text on the battery, all engraved onto it. Along with various serial numbers.

This engraving of the text on the battery is part of the work to make it harder to fake your battery. You can feel the engraved text when you run a finger nail over it.

You could even try googling the serial number from your battery. If it was part of a fake batch, then all the serial numbers will be the same, and may already be talked about online.

It could also be a simple case of it being a much older battery that was purchased from EBay.
    08-17-11 01:17 PM
    Look closely at the labels of all the batteries you can get your hands on. How similar are they?

How much shorter is the life of this new battery? If both are fully charged, what kind of difference do you see in their life. (Tricky to test as you can't make the phone act identically on those two occasions, but you get a good idea)

The Chinese knockoffs are often spotted by silly errors on the labels. Or printing that is misaligned. Also check what is actually inscribed into the battery plastic.

My Blackberry phone clearly has shiny engravings of the Blackberry brand in the back. With a "M-S1" and a picture of a padlock in the corner.

Then on the flip side is lots of text on the battery, all engraved onto it. Along with various serial numbers.

This engraving of the text on the battery is part of the work to make it harder to fake your battery. You can feel the engraved text when you run a finger nail over it.

You could even try googling the serial number from your battery. If it was part of a fake batch, then all the serial numbers will be the same, and may already be talked about online.

It could also be a simple case of it being a much older battery that was purchased from EBay.
    Thanks I'll try and compare my batteries tonight! And to answer your question about how long one lasts of the other. The one purchased from Ebay dies completely at 50% like I get the radio error then it powers off. Quite annoying, if it's not a lot to ship back then I'll just get my $6 back.
    08-17-11 01:56 PM
    If the battery meter is showing 50% and then it dies, it sounds like a manufacturing fault. Almost as if you have duff cells inside it.

And at $6 - it does not surprise me that is has a problem. Look at the Recommended Retail Price of batteries on this website. $40 to $70 dollars each. Even then, a discount struggles to get under 50%. So anything being sold at 10% of RRP would always sounds dodgy to me. Unless it fell of the back of a lorry, that would be just too far below cost price to ever make any profit.

Personally, I would only ever buy my batteries from a reputable dealer. Too many exploding battery stories out there - both in phones and laptops.
    08-17-11 02:22 PM
    only piece of advice I can give is this:

do NOT use those fake/ebay/$5 special batteries...

they're junk and have a high probability of walking you down the path of problems.

I had an ongoing problem with my phone (random reboots, weird things) and it was discovered that the battery was the problem- the battery was an ebay special... fake... and an excellent looking one at that. Not worth the grief.
    08-17-11 04:12 PM
    ^ thanks I'm definitely sending it back.
    08-17-11 07:48 PM
    it sounds like you got fake battery. I once ordered 5 batteries and all of them had same serial number with poor lettering. Never bought it again from same seller.
    08-21-11 07:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD