I know there are multiple threads out there discussing this and I looked at most of them but this is different. My 9700 has gotten great battery life since day one, but this weekend I went out to the desert and didn't use my phone much because I only had EDGE but it was dropping in and out constantly, I had a full charge on Thursday morning and when I got home Saturday afternoon I had 20% which is pretty damn good I'm not complaining about that. When I got home I charged it fully and then on the middle of the day on Sunday my batter was almost dead. Same thing Monday and same thing today. I fully charged it yesterday afternoon and this morning it was at 25% and I hardly used my phone yesterday. SOMETHING has happened to my battery life, I'm running 5.0.0593 which hasn't ever gotten me fantastic battery life but its been okay but now its just shot.

I haven't changed anything on my BB for this to happen so I'm posting here for ideas of what could be causing this, I've looked at programs running closed everything I can and do not have WIFI or bluetooth on and Have constant good 3G reception.
    04-20-10 02:03 PM
    I know there are multiple threads out there discussing this and I looked at most of them but this is different. My 9700 has gotten great battery life since day one, but this weekend I went out to the desert and didn't use my phone much because I only had EDGE but it was dropping in and out constantly, I had a full charge on Thursday morning and when I got home Saturday afternoon I had 20% which is pretty damn good I'm not complaining about that. When I got home I charged it fully and then on the middle of the day on Sunday my batter was almost dead. Same thing Monday and same thing today. I fully charged it yesterday afternoon and this morning it was at 25% and I hardly used my phone yesterday. SOMETHING has happened to my battery life, I'm running 5.0.0593 which hasn't ever gotten me fantastic battery life but its been okay but now its just shot.

I haven't changed anything on my BB for this to happen so I'm posting here for ideas of what could be causing this, I've looked at programs running closed everything I can and do not have WIFI or bluetooth on and Have constant good 3G reception.
    If the phone keeps jumping between 2g/3g that will definitely destroy the battery. If you don't have consistent 3g coverage I would set it to 2g until the coverage is more consistent. Something also could have happened to your battery, you may want to try buying a new oem batt from crackberry or from amazon, buy.com etc.
    04-20-10 02:16 PM
    Desert? well, i'm thinking that heat was the major factor in the short battery life, also what the above poster said
    04-20-10 02:25 PM
    Desert? well, i'm thinking that heat was the major factor in the short battery life, also what the above poster said
    One should also keep in mind that Electronics+Heat = Very bad things. ALWAYS. If you have a phone/ipod, etc outside, keep it in your pocket or in a bag when your not using it. Keeping it out of the sun as much as possible will help you get the most out of it.
    04-20-10 02:41 PM
    In response to the posters above.

I just want to clarify, but out at the desert I had almost normal if not normal battery life and it didn't get any hotter then 93 degrees and it was kept inside with air conditioning almost going constant.

NOW that I'm back from the desert getting consistent 3G coverage and doing everything that I would normally do I am getting terrible battery life worse then when I was at the desert and worse then before the desert.
    04-20-10 02:59 PM
    In response to the posters above.

I just want to clarify, but out at the desert I had almost normal if not normal battery life and it didn't get any hotter then 93 degrees and it was kept inside with air conditioning almost going constant.

NOW that I'm back from the desert getting consistent 3G coverage and doing everything that I would normally do I am getting terrible battery life worse then when I was at the desert and worse then before the desert.
    That changes things a bit. When you say you went to the desert, we immediately picture you out hiking/camping, etc with your phone out in the sun/heat.

3g will burn the battery alot faster than 2g, thats the nature of the beast. Do you have bluetooth or wifi turned on as well?

And if your running any mapping apps or any other apps that require a constant stream of data, they will kill your battery as well.
    Last edited by rdyoung; 04-20-10 at 03:23 PM.
    04-20-10 03:17 PM

try letting it discharge to zero and shutdown on it's own, then charge it overnight for a full charge...

something DID change though... your location... maybe you're in a fringe 3G area? that would kill the battery if switching between 2G/3G, way more so than Edge to no signal...
    04-20-10 04:25 PM
    Try getting a new battery and try that, there is almost nothing that would happen to the phone that would cause it to train that much juice even after it has returned to normal condition. I just think something could have gone wrong with the battery itself since the storing of the electrical charge material might have gotten damaged from the heat. Other than that the phone should be fine. Just a funny example if you leave your ipod on the cold winter of Chicago in your car than you may find out that the hard drive would not work until you plug it into the charger.
    04-20-10 05:29 PM
    Sounds like you should just purchase a new battery or let it fully die and charfe

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 06:38 PM
    This stuff just happens, I hope you find the resolution!

04-20-10 06:38 PM
    Well I might have come up with my own solution. I pulled the battery out of the phone and waited a few seconds then put it back in, I charged it yesterday around when i was posting and now its at 70% and I was using my phone more regular yesterday which by that I mean more then over the weekend to Monday night. Thanks for the help guy I think its better now though.
    04-21-10 02:35 PM
    Strange...hopefully it holds up for ya.

I just wanted to say why would switching from 3g to 2g kill the battery? I do that quite often when hitting the city and no problems as far as my battery life goes.

04-21-10 03:31 PM
    not manually switching.. but the auto switching that happens in fringe 3G areas, or sometimes inside buildings... that switching back and forth as the radio tries to find the best signal will suck a battery down in no time...
    04-21-10 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD