So... the Bold is my first bb, and I love it and all, but it seems I've been messed over.

I was checking out the HTC Fuze, and the replies to a forum thread in which some guy was asking for reviews of the Fuze and of the Bold, everyone with a Bold said that they didn't have any freeze problems and that their battery lasted 3 days without charge! That's amazing to me, because my first Bold bricked unexpectedly, and my second one freezes whenever I press a button if I use it for more than 3 hours. (Not to mention I have to charge it once or twice a day.)

I took my phone to a phone repair place a while ago to get the trackball replaced (kcuz it's freakin' confusing). The guy said he had to open it up because it doesn't have the same ring that other models have over the trackball mechanism, then it started turning off and back on unexpectedly every now and then. I suspect that's only because the guy didn't tighten the phone back all the way, though.

Other than the last problem, is it just my phone, or is this how the Bold performs, and the other people were just gassing the guy up because they want him to have the bold? As I type, whenever I press the menu button from a blank screen, the square with the radar line comes up for a few seconds, and I dare not open any apps before I restart it.
    08-09-09 09:18 PM
    The 'square with the radar line' is nothing major. Similar to the hourglass in windows. What OS version are you running? Upgrading to the most current would probably fix all your problems.
    08-09-09 09:26 PM
    My Bold does not freeze. My battery lasts at least 24 hrs. with heavy use.

To get maximum battery life, close all apps that you are not using. That will also keep the freezes from happening.

I don't know what OS you are using. You should upgrade to .282. That is the most current official OS. There are Rogers, Vodafone UK, and Asian versions. Do a search to find the links. .282 allows you to switch from 3G to 2G (EDGE) if you are getting a poor 3G signal. Constantly searching for a signal will kill the battery. I get a better 3G connection with .282.

I also recommend that you install QuickPull. It is a free app that simulates a soft reset.
    08-09-09 09:28 PM
    No way in **** is anyone getting 3 days on a single charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 10:24 PM

I can easily get 5 with little use.

08-09-09 10:47 PM

I get 2-3 days with light usage and 1-2 with medium to heavy use. Then I turn on the fuel and get another 1 - 3 days without plugging it in.
    08-09-09 10:51 PM
    I get at least 2 days on one charge - and I'm a heavy user.
    08-09-09 11:17 PM
    I'm pretty sure I have the latest OS, I often notice the switch from 3G to EDGE. I also know what the symbol is, but didn't know what to call it, and I know it's not that big a deal, except when it lasts for 60 seconds when I'm trying to delete a message.

With heavy use, (especially when using Pandora and Google Maps), the battery drains in less than a day, but I've never ever had 2 full days' worth of battery life.

Thanks for the Quickpull rec though. I'll do it.
    08-10-09 10:00 AM
    Where did this phone come from?
    08-10-09 10:08 AM
    the AT&T store.
    08-10-09 10:16 AM
    Why did it go to a repair shop, and not back to AT&T?
    08-10-09 10:19 AM
    because they don't replace parts, only phones.
    08-10-09 10:24 AM
    You should have gotten another phone, now the warranty is voided.

Press these three buttons at the same time:
    Left Alt
    Right Shift
    H

Note the File Free

Pull the battery while the phone is on, reboot, then repeat the above. Post back your results. My guess is that you have an app running in the background, which burns through battery and memory (which can cause a freeze).
    08-10-09 10:28 AM
    The warranty was already voided because something's up with the inner workings of the screen, and I couldn't get another phone anyway. If I were to get a new phone, it would be under the insurance I got, which is separate from any warranty rules.

thanks for the tips. I'll use them.
    08-10-09 10:33 AM
    Ubertwitter was the culprit.
    08-11-09 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD