I was having trouble with my 9900 in two ways:
    1) Battery life was barely 14 hours;
    2) Response time was incredibly slow (got the little spinny clock thing all the time).

I fixed these problems by deleting the Blackberry podcast and Blackberry protects apps that come with the 9900.

I don't need the podcast feature, as I own an ipod.
    Blackberry Protect doesn't work, apparently, with enterprise phones (and mine is issued by work).

Now, this thing has more than 48 hours' battery life, and is quick as a cat!

Thought I'd help out.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-12-12 08:28 AM
    i don't know if you're using social networking with an enterprise phone, but some have reported deleting social feeds can also increase battery life tremendously
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-12-12 09:00 AM
    I've just deleted the blackberry protect. I just realised that it's using my GPS to locate my phone on that website. Hope this improves my battery life.
    I can't delete the podcasts.
    I'll have to try using apploader.
    04-12-12 09:53 AM
    I took the social feeds off my 9900 also dimmed the screen and altered the network settings to 3g and 2g. It was amazing how much longer my battery now lasts - 1.5days with quite heavy useage. If people took the time to alter settings, ie the facebook refresh rate etc. They. Wouldn't moan about the battery life.
    deezy87 likes this.
    04-12-12 09:58 AM
    I also turned off the GPS, that's saves loads of power too.
    04-12-12 09:59 AM
    Blackberry Protect can remotely turn on the GPS on the phone from the website should your phone go missing, so there is no requirement to leave the GPS on all the time in order for it to work.

My GPS is on all the time, and it has no major impact on my battery or my data.

JB
    robkd likes this.
    04-12-12 10:09 AM
    I can't delete the podcasts.
    did you try from the apps menu in options? just deleted mine that way
    04-12-12 10:42 AM
    Switching from 3G to 2G helps massively. If you have 3G and 2G coverage at home switch to 2G only. You should have Wi-Fi so 2G uses less power than 3G and your data will be going through your Wi-Fi network anyway.
    adamrollins likes this.
    04-12-12 11:53 AM
    I don't know if that can help but i personally don't use podcast and even if its installed i don't think it should drain battery?
    When we aren't even using it at all? But like i said i will try to uninstall it tomorrow and see if that makes any difference
    And you didn't mentioned what OS are you on either ?
    Currently i get about 12 hours of heavy use with wifi on and 50% would be left.
    Last edited by linux.bbm; 04-12-12 at 01:16 PM.
    04-12-12 12:39 PM
    Is the 3g/2g setting strictly for data? How would reducing this to 2g effect bbm, sms and voice calls? In the scenario of my question, i would be attached to wifi. TYIA
    04-12-12 12:56 PM
    don't think there is any noticeable difference in call quality between 2g/3g is there?
    04-12-12 01:15 PM
    don't think there is any noticeable difference in call quality between 2g/3g is there?
    Well maybe that's right but using data on 3G sucks battery like vampire sucks blood!
    04-12-12 01:19 PM
    That it does! I always have 3g switched off.
    04-12-12 01:24 PM
    That it does! I always have 3g switched off.
    Me too! Unless something's very urgent!
    2G works out very well for me.
    04-12-12 01:26 PM
    Virgin Mobile Canada - $50.00/mo.

My Plan:
    BlackBerry Combo 50 - Txt & Pic
    200 anytime minutes
    BlackBerry Data - 500 MB
    myPeeps
    Wi-Fi Unlimited at Starbucks
    Unlimited Evenings & Wknd from 7PM
    International Text
    Unlimited Incoming Text
    Unlimited Picture Messaging
    Unlimited Text to Canada
    Pay per use Voice - U.S. Roaming
    Standard LD Rate (to U.S. & CAN)
    Additional local minutes are 40�/min. Long distance charges on calls to Canada or the U.S. are 40�/min. in addition to your local per minute rate.

Individual features:
    Call Display ($7.00/mo)

Other Charges:
    NS Govt 911 Fee ($0.43/mo.)

Based on how I use my phone, I'm happy with my plan and staying with Virgin. Rogers, Telus & Bell are so 90's ... it's all about Fido, Kodoo & Virgin now!
    04-12-12 04:17 PM

My Plan:
    200 anytime minutes
    BlackBerry Data - 500 MB
    myPeeps
    International Text
    Unlimited Incoming Text
    Unlimited Text to Canada
    Additional local minutes are 40�/min. Long distance charges on calls to Canada or the U.S. are 40�/min. in addition to your local per minute rate.

Individual features:
    Call Display ($7.00/mo)

Other Charges:

Based on how I use my phone, I'm happy with my plan and staying with Virgin. Rogers, Telus & Bell are so 90's ... it's all about Fido, Kodoo & Virgin now!
    lmao ^ face palm
    04-12-12 04:33 PM

My Plan:
    200 anytime minutes
    BlackBerry Data - 500 MB
    myPeeps
    International Text
    Unlimited Incoming Text
    Unlimited Text to Canada

Individual features:
    Call Display ($7.00/mo)

Other Charges:

"Telus and Bell are so 90's" .... What are you, a 14 year old girl?

Oh and by the way.. I think you got the wrong thread there buddy!
    04-12-12 10:23 PM
    Switching from 3G to 2G helps massively. If you have 3G and 2G coverage at home switch to 2G only. You should have Wi-Fi so 2G uses less power than 3G and your data will be going through your Wi-Fi network anyway.
    I always switch to 2G anywhere where I use WIFI
    04-13-12 02:24 AM
    2G and 3G has nothing to do with call quality - your signal strength is what affects call quality, regardless of whether you're on EDGE, 3G or H+. If you have five bars, you'll have good call quality no matter what type of signal you're on.

JB
    robkd likes this.
    04-13-12 07:02 AM
    Is the 3g/2g setting strictly for data? How would reducing this to 2g effect bbm, sms and voice calls? In the scenario of my question, i would be attached to wifi. TYIA
    TO be honest I find that over n EDGE network my BBM goes faster! But all you loose is fast internet browsing and data while on calls. IF you have Wi-Fi it makes no difference.
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    04-13-12 07:31 AM
    Can Social Feeds and Protect both be delete on the handset itself?
    04-13-12 07:34 AM
    I deleted both on the handset
    04-13-12 07:46 AM
    I need protect, I have deleted social feeds out of the box. I also need GPS as I tend to use maps quite often. I can't really moan as I have a charger at the office in case things get hairy.
    04-13-12 08:15 AM
    7.1.342 saved my battery life
    04-13-12 11:43 AM
    7.1.342 saved my battery life
    i second that. my battery lasts around 40 hours now.
    04-13-12 12:09 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD