I have a blackberry bold on the Rogers network and I always charge it every night. However I was noticing... starting about May, that my phone's battery life was decreasing. By the end of the day I would end up with 60% battery life instead of the usual 90%. By June, this ended up to 30% and by mid July my phone couldn't even last 10 hours doing nothing in the holster. Battery pulls or charging the phone while off didn't help either.

Then, I pulled out my phone and saw the screen white showing black text saying App Error (I've seen it before but not in a few months). After the blackberry reset, I went to bed and charged the phone. By the next night, the battery was at 95% and I even listened to music for a bit. Now, it's early august, and the phone is back to lasting less than 10 hours doing nothing.

I'm wondering, is there anyway to force an app error (since normal resets don't work), or, preferably, track down the problem and remove it?

Thanks
    08-03-09 09:34 PM
    Why don't you try a different battery? It sounds like it may have a problem.
    08-03-09 09:40 PM
    I only have one battery...
    08-03-09 09:45 PM
    Try the different battery (And check the return policy for the store where you purchase it. No sense being stuck with it if it turns out the battery isn't the problem.).

If that's not the problem, I'm sure you could check the event log to find out what's doing it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    08-03-09 09:48 PM
    Theres a couple things you can try:

- turn off bluetooth
    - turn off wifi
    - turn off gps
    - update your OS
    - uninstall some applications (some apps could be running all the time draining the battery)
    - new battery
    08-03-09 09:50 PM
    I really don't think it's the battery... I mean the battery works fine after the app error. I just think it's a program somewhere on the phone that becomes a battery hog (and forces an app error). I just want to know how to find it?
    08-03-09 09:58 PM
    I really don't think it's the battery... I mean the battery works fine after the app error. I just think it's a program somewhere on the phone that becomes a battery hog (and forces an app error). I just want to know how to find it?

What 3rd party apps do you have installed?
    08-03-09 09:59 PM
    Windows Live Messenger, Facebook, Weather Network, blackberry app world, flashlight, Score Mobile, Earthcomber, The Hockey News, Viigo, Calorie Counter by Fat Secret, Ticketmaster, Stocks (came with system... dunno if it's third party), Word/Slideshow/Sheet 2 Go (same thing), Poynt, Tank Ace 1944 Lite, Par 72 Golf Lite, Blackjack, NesquickChase, Vlingo, ICC Twenty Lite, Mobile Pet, Blocked Traffic Free, Quick Pull, Shazam. My phone came with these games: Brickbreaker, word mole, solitaire, klondike, texas hold em, but I'm not sure which ones are normally pre-installed. It also came with a couple rogers store apps.

These apps, except MSN sometimes, are never left open and I make sure, using alt + escape to check my open programs, that they are closed.

Oh, I also have a bunch of themes.
    08-03-09 10:08 PM
    Ok well personally, Id first try turning off bluetooth, wifi and gps for a day and see if that helps, then if no change I start with apps that use network connectivity, ie FB, Weather etc... and leave the games to last.
    08-03-09 10:10 PM
    Well how do I turn GPS off? I mean, I'd assume it's off unless I turn it on through maps. Wifi and bluetooth are on and when I turn them off (I've tried it before) it makes 0 difference.
    08-03-09 10:12 PM
    To turn GPS off go to Options > Advanced > Gps > Gps Servers and pick location off.

I know it shouldnt be running when its not being accessed, but last week I posted about my battery draining ridiculously fast, turns out it was my gps. I have no idea why, the only gps aware apps I had were google maps, poynt, weather bug, and bbmaps, I haven't looked into which one of them caused it, but my battery is now fine after turning off the gps, may not be the same problem for you, but its worth a shot.
    08-03-09 10:15 PM
    If you suspect that you have an app that is causing you problems, remove them all and add them one at a time to isolate the problem.
    08-03-09 10:16 PM
    To turn GPS off go to Options > Advanced > Gps > Gps Servers and pick location off.

I know it shouldnt be running when its not being accessed, but last week I posted about my battery draining ridiculously fast, turns out it was my gps. I have no idea why, the only gps aware apps I had were google maps, poynt, weather bug, and bbmaps, I haven't looked into which one of them caused it, but my battery is now fine after turning off the gps, may not be the same problem for you, but its worth a shot.
    All right, I did that, I'll post how it ends up once I give my battery enough time tomorrow to drain (or not).

If you suspect that you have an app that is causing you problems, remove them all and add them one at a time to isolate the problem.
    That's a pain Isn't there a way to find CPU usage or use logs or something
    08-03-09 10:19 PM
    Not per application. On reflection, you shouldn't have to do them one at a time. You can install half your installed apps, checking battery life over a day, and if that's fine, install one half of what's left, etc, and whittle it down that way in a fashion.

You can also try switching to the default theme as well.
    08-03-09 10:39 PM
    Alright, last night I turned off GPS and uninstalled:
    Score Mobile, Earthcomber, The Hockey News, Viigo, Poynt, NesquickChase, ICC Twenty Lite, and Mobile Pet. Those were programs I never really used.
    (All battery levels are checked through options -> status):
    This morning I woke up at 6:30 and played music for about 20 minutes while I ate breakfast. My battery already dropped to 85% in that time :| I plugged it back in and pulled it out at 7:30. It had full bars but I'm not sure exactly what the battery life was, but I'm going to assume 100%. I can't use my phone during the day since I'm on the ice (hockey) ALL day except during little periods where I check my battery life (I don't go on the internet/text/play music during this time). By 9, my battery was 95% and I was worried that it was dropping fast. I checked it again at 2pm, and it was still 95%. Then, by 4:30, it was still 95%. However by 5pm it dropped to 90% and fell rapidly from there; by 10pm it had less than 5% battery. I did not use my phone at all since unplugging it save for checking battery life, 2 PINs, and 5/6 text messages.

I just don't understand, why did it stay at 95% for so long and then just drop...
    08-04-09 11:57 PM
    What is your signal like at home? It sounds like when you weren't at home your battery lasts longer. Do you notcied your phones dropping 3G while it at home?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 12:14 AM
    I was thinking that because I heard that a lower signal means it uses more battery, but no, the phone is on 3G with full bars all the time.
    08-05-09 12:17 AM
    Alright, last night I turned off GPS and uninstalled:
    Score Mobile, Earthcomber, The Hockey News, Viigo, Poynt, NesquickChase, ICC Twenty Lite, and Mobile Pet. Those were programs I never really used.
    (All battery levels are checked through options -> status):
    This morning I woke up at 6:30 and played music for about 20 minutes while I ate breakfast. My battery already dropped to 85% in that time :| I plugged it back in and pulled it out at 7:30. It had full bars but I'm not sure exactly what the battery life was, but I'm going to assume 100%. I can't use my phone during the day since I'm on the ice (hockey) ALL day except during little periods where I check my battery life (I don't go on the internet/text/play music during this time). By 9, my battery was 95% and I was worried that it was dropping fast. I checked it again at 2pm, and it was still 95%. Then, by 4:30, it was still 95%. However by 5pm it dropped to 90% and fell rapidly from there; by 10pm it had less than 5% battery. I did not use my phone at all since unplugging it save for checking battery life, 2 PINs, and 5/6 text messages.

I just don't understand, why did it stay at 95% for so long and then just drop...
    What OS are you running? I would try updating to .247 or higher.
    08-05-09 12:17 AM
    I'm running .162
    I have no clue how to update. If it requires a computer, then you should know I'm on a mac.
    08-05-09 12:20 AM
    I'm sure i used to get much better battery life in the early days when I first got the bold - 2 days between charges even when fiddling with it all the time. That turned into 12 hours of light use over the last 10 months and I just went up to a 2400 mAh battery + went from .216 to .282 - amazing change, original battery would have been dead by now and the new battery is barely at 75% - I'm sure it's both the new OS and the bigger battery, but this is the way it should be. Its not too bad with the bigger battery and thicker bold, so unless you really need skins, holders, etc. that will only fit an OE bold I'd recommend getting a bigger battery. Try installing (or reinstalling if you've had it on there for a while) the latest OS first though.
    08-14-09 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD