1. PeterCouts's Avatar
    I woke up this morning and I saw my battery died, which was unusual.

    I plugged my charger in, the red light went on then promptly showed a battery with a red cross, meaning the battery was completely depleted. The battery would not charge. I used another source to charge the battery and my phone was able to switch on. But my phone did not last long, estimate was about 1 hour and the battery was abnormally hot and this heat was even present on my keypad. I did replace the battery with another one but it had the same issue.

    I thought it was the OS 9700AllLang_PBr6.0.0_rel2718_PL6.6.0.223_A6.0.0.61 5_Bell_Mobility_Inc, which I had installed a few weeks ago. So I promptly updated to 9700M_PBr6.0.0_rel2858_PL6.6.0.236_A6.0.0.650_Mobi licity but I see my battery in 5 minutes went from 85% to 80%. (I had to have an ice-pack to keep the battery cool during the installation/update.)

    Now I decided to resort to factory default and then do a clean install of the latest OS 6 release, hopefully this will resolve my battery drainage and over-heating.

    Anyone had a similar experience or has some advise?

    Thanks.

    -edit- Battery is dead, so I have to wait to recharge it before I can revert to default settings.
    Last edited by PeterCouts; 08-29-11 at 03:33 PM.
    08-29-11 02:56 PM
  2. dangerousfen's Avatar
    When I started to read your post I immediately thought " replace the battery" but when reading on I see you have already done that. This leads me to believe that your device is faulty. If you are still under warranty, get an exchange phone and if you can, run a backup as soon as possible.

    Alan.
    08-29-11 04:25 PM
  3. PeterCouts's Avatar
    Highly unlikely that I will get the phone exchanged. I've had it for a 14 months. The "Q" key came off and I sent it off to RIM and they wanted to charge me $300 to replace the keypad even though my cellphone dealer wrote "Fell off without customers fault, no signs of foul play" - and I'm a student and from South Africa, complete rip-off.
    08-29-11 05:44 PM
  4. dangerousfen's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that. Can't think of anything else you could try. Maybe someone else on here will come up with other ideas. Do hope so.

    Alan.
    08-29-11 05:52 PM
  5. ComputerJAM's Avatar
    Are you using original equipment for charging? and is either battery and aftermarket version?

    I had bad luck with some aftermarket batteries, and here at work I've had several chargers "go-out". <-- Meaning, they still charge, but the life of the battery is diminished. Replacing the charger solved those issues.
    08-31-11 01:52 PM
  6. Rootbrian's Avatar
    You'll likely need to have a spare blackberry on hand, or a new one, if this overheating issue cannot be solved. My first 8130 kept doing this and it got to the point of burning my hand during normal use. You'll likely need a new device, or it'll end up causing a fire/burnout in your pocket.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 04:32 PM
  7. schmoozer#CB's Avatar
    heat usually has a negative impact on battery charge; i.e. if the battery surface is more heated than usual, it typically drains much faster than under normal temperatures/conditions.

    either way, I would check if it's the battery, if not the handset itself - as I doubt you'd want a LiON battery exploding next to wherever you keep it.
    09-01-11 05:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD