I bought my Bold in December and have been loving it up until yesterday. I noticed when I woke up that my battery was at the halfway point when I took it off the charger... I thought maybe my boyfriend had just put it on when my alarm went off because he needed to charge his curve. I asked him about it and he said no, it had been on there all night. So 5 hours later during my lunch break my phone is at 25% and 3 hours later is pretty much dead. I was so confused as to why this was happening.

I get home and charge it up to 100% and everything seems to be fine. Today when I wake up at 7am for work my phone is DEAD! I had it in bedside mode like I always do. I charged it while I was in the shower and on my way to work. It was about 40% when I got to work and now at 11am it is at 25% again! WTH is going on? I checked my memory today and it seems that I am having a huge memory/battery leak going on. I'm running .190 I think and dex mobile was the last app that I installed.

Can someone please give me some insight on why my phone is sucking at battery life?

p.s. I will be upgrading my OS soon because I have been meaning to do it anyway.
    06-17-09 12:09 PM
    When did you install the dex app?
    06-17-09 12:11 PM
    About a week ago at least. It's just strange that all of a sudden the battery just sucks.
    06-17-09 12:14 PM
    Could be the battery just failed. Since you were going to upgrade anyway, I would say go ahead. The new OS won't resolve the issue, however the process of having a fresh install just might. If nothing else, it will tell you whether it was hardware or software related.
    06-17-09 12:15 PM
    If you don't need 3g,turn it off.It saves battery life

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 12:18 PM
    3G would not take it down this fast, and we can't do that on AT&T with a stock phone.
    06-17-09 12:20 PM
    After six months the battery failed? That is serious crap. Hmmm, well I'll update the OS tonight and see what happens. If the battery needs to replaced, is that covered under the warranty?
    06-17-09 12:22 PM
    Where I live, 3G is very good. I've never been in edge only once or twice.
    06-17-09 12:23 PM
    After six months the battery failed? That is serious crap. Hmmm, well I'll update the OS tonight and see what happens. If the battery needs to replaced, is that covered under the warranty?
    Try the OS upgrade first. It could be an app doing this. If you weren't going to upgrade, I would say start going through all the apps to be sure one isn't the culprit. Since you are, I think you'll know pretty quick.
    06-17-09 12:24 PM
    How could I tell if an app was causing the drain?
    Last edited by worr02; 06-17-09 at 12:27 PM.
    06-17-09 12:25 PM
    Does anyone else know why my phone is draining in under 6 hours?
    06-19-09 05:42 PM
    If you were not having issues before, I'd point the finger at the last application you installed. Dex mobile, was it?

Have you tried upgrading your OS yet?
    06-19-09 05:49 PM
    ^^I agreee, upgrade or reinstall.
    06-19-09 06:23 PM
    I haven't had a chance to upgrade my OS but I did delete the Dex app and I also deleted some that I didn't use. My memory has gone up but the battery leak seems to still be there. It just takes a little longer. I can't honestly believe it would just all of a sudden drain like it has. I got to work at 9am and now at 1pm it is at 75% and I have only touched it once to check my texts and emails.
    06-22-09 02:08 PM
    I had the same problem with an ATT Bold. After a week, they replaced the battery, but all I got was 6 hours on a full charge with minimal talk and minimal surfing. The Curve it replaced would go 2 days without charging. I returned the Bold after 2 weeks for an 8900 and could not be happier. And anyone who sings praises for 3G and says they can see a difference in speed, is simply lying.
    06-22-09 08:05 PM
    It takes a lot of juice to run that big, pretty screen and that faster CPU. It's a trade off and always will be.
    06-22-09 08:29 PM
    I had the same problem with an ATT Bold. After a week, they replaced the battery, but all I got was 6 hours on a full charge with minimal talk and minimal surfing. The Curve it replaced would go 2 days without charging. I returned the Bold after 2 weeks for an 8900 and could not be happier. And anyone who sings praises for 3G and says they can see a difference in speed, is simply lying.
    you being serious?!? that's the most stupid statement i've ever heard. when i download podcasts i don't even attempt it unless i have full 3G coverage. even with really good EDGE coverage i won't bother. maybe in browsing there is minimal difference, but in downloads and large sites with lots of pictures, there's a huge difference. LOL
    06-22-09 09:05 PM
    It takes a lot of juice to run that big, pretty screen and that faster CPU. It's a trade off and always will be.
    That's great and everything and I don't have a problem with it except I have had this phone for 6 months and was consistently getting almost 2 days on my battery. Then all of a sudden it would drain in 6 hours.
    06-23-09 08:57 PM
    you being serious?!? that's the most stupid statement i've ever heard. when i download podcasts i don't even attempt it unless i have full 3G coverage. even with really good EDGE coverage i won't bother. maybe in browsing there is minimal difference, but in downloads and large sites with lots of pictures, there's a huge difference. LOL
    I've had a 3G phone for almost 3 years. I can tell the difference and would not go back to an edge phone. I don't care how pretty and nice the 8900 is, I love my Bold.
    06-23-09 08:59 PM
    You said you purchased your bold in december so your bold should still be under warranty for another 6 months. You can contact AT&T customer care and tell them your problem. The battery is still covered under the warranty. They sent me a new battery within a couple of days.
    06-23-09 10:20 PM
    I have had some occasional serious battery drains. It is always accompanied by noticeable heat from the bold. The last time this happened, could not seem to get it to go away. Reinstalled OS and applications and all is fine. This has happened occasionally over several versions of the OS. Battery pulls don't seem to help, it usually goes away on it's own schedule. Who knows?
    06-23-09 11:32 PM
    I'm deffinitely going to reload the OS before I take it back to ATT. I just don't think it's the phone. It's something with the software or something. For now I just have it turned off for most of the time when i'm not using it. I'll update the OS tonight and let you know what I find out.
    06-24-09 12:59 PM
    You opened this thread on the 17th..and still haven't tried the OS upgrade after such a drastic battery drain? What're you waiting for? lol

To the clown who posted about "3G" speed being similar to EDGE...just stop. Please trade in the 8900 for two cups and some string.
    06-24-09 01:17 PM
    I know It's been a while since I started this thread but i just started a new job and have been working 45 hour weeks and by the time I get home after a 30min comute the last thing I want to do is mess with my phone. I've just been dealing with it for the time being. I want my boyfriend to help me with it since he's a self proclaimed computer nerd. He says I am fully capable of doing it but.... I'll do it tonight. Which OS should I upgrade to? I would like the most recent ATT release.
    06-24-09 02:05 PM
    I bought my Bold in December and have been loving it up until yesterday. I noticed when I woke up that my battery was at the halfway point when I took it off the charger... I thought maybe my boyfriend had just put it on when my alarm went off because he needed to charge his curve. I asked him about it and he said no, it had been on there all night. So 5 hours later during my lunch break my phone is at 25% and 3 hours later is pretty much dead. I was so confused as to why this was happening.

I get home and charge it up to 100% and everything seems to be fine. Today when I wake up at 7am for work my phone is DEAD! I had it in bedside mode like I always do. I charged it while I was in the shower and on my way to work. It was about 40% when I got to work and now at 11am it is at 25% again! WTH is going on? I checked my memory today and it seems that I am having a huge memory/battery leak going on. I'm running .190 I think and dex mobile was the last app that I installed.

Can someone please give me some insight on why my phone is sucking at battery life?

p.s. I will be upgrading my OS soon because I have been meaning to do it anyway.
    I basically am in the same boat. Switched from a Curve to a Bold. For the first couple of weeks that I had the phone, the battery was fine would last 2 plus days. Then it continually got worse. With a full charge at 8:00 in the morning, it would be toast and in the red by 6:00 that evening. Called AT&T they had me switch out the battery. It didn't last from the start, so then AT&T sent me a new Bold. It has been fine for the 1st couple of weeks, then today it has started the old routine (fine at 8:00am - toast at 6:00 pm). I was wondering if the settings had anything to do with it. I'm at a loss.
    06-25-09 10:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD