I've had my 9650 for 4 days. Up until today, the battery seemed to do okay. Today is different.

In nine hours, with only a one minute phone call and a few minutes checking emails, the battery drained 90%.

I recharged and unplugged an hour ago. It's already down 20%--and I haven't even touched it (except to check the battery level).

Wifi, GPS and Bluetooth and all instant messaging programs are turned off.. The only things on are the phone and email push. I"m getting three bars in 3g.

I have it programmed to go into standby after 90 seconds. (If I try to do it manually by holding down the "mute" button, nothing happens.)

Any ideas what could be causing this? (I even removed an reinserted the battery.) Could it be a problem with a cell tower or is it more likely my phone?

Thanks.
    06-21-10 11:01 PM
    If the signal is weak or crazy the phones battry life will suffer from switching radios constantly.

I would recommend using the newest OS. Seeing that you only had it for a few days. :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-10 11:43 PM
    i had the same problem if u just upgraded the os thats the first thing that happends after a while it will catch up to it self and with moderate use u will get at least 10 hours or more heavy use maybe 6 if ur like me using everything on the phone ( like calling for long periods of time checking myspace facebook twitter texting using internet aim and so on)
    06-21-10 11:58 PM
    I haven't upgraded anything. I'm guessing it should have the newest OS since it's only a few days old.

Will it upgrade automatically if I don't. (I'm new at this).
    06-22-10 12:28 AM
    no u have to downloaded from ur computer
    06-22-10 12:48 AM
    also when u text or use the internet or call u have to close all of them or it will still run
    06-22-10 12:52 AM
    Its only been a 2 weeks since I had upgraded to the Bold. And i too had HORRIBLE battery life with the Bold 8650 (VZW). After a full charge, 15-20 mins later my battery will be down to 90%. I did all your basic protocol to preserve the battery. But still, even with little to no use with the phone, the juice drains rapidly!

Not sure if this is indicative with what I have been doing to the phone but... I had upgraded my original BBM 5.0 to BBM 5.0.057. The description from the new bbm mentioned it uses less battery.. Not sure how accurate that is though..

And also.. it seems like the MORE i charge the phone, the MORE i can get out of the battery.

Today, after a full charge, I was able to use only 10% of the battery. I also checked some work email via Bold. Searched the internet via the Bold.. and also sent out a few text messages...

Still, by the time i got home, i was around 85%... Like i had said, i am not sure if my battery life "fix" was indicative with the new software/constant charging over time...

But whatever it is, my Bold's battery seems to be lasting MUCH longer than 2 weeks ago (when i first purchased the phone)..
    Last edited by cpcxgsr; 06-22-10 at 06:06 PM.
    06-22-10 05:49 PM
    And also.. it seems like the MORE i charge the phone, the MORE i can get out of the battery.

Today, after a full charge, I was able to use only 10% of the battery. I also checked some work email via Bold. Searched the internet via the Bold.. and also sent out a few text messages...
    Huh? I don't understand this... You charged the phone to 100%, yet you only got 10% battery?
    06-22-10 05:55 PM
    Full charge = 100%
    i used 10% of battery = 90% remaining
    06-22-10 06:08 PM
    Nm, I get it now... This is after the battery improved.
    06-22-10 06:10 PM
    no problem... but in all honesty... I do not know if its the the constant charging of the phone. Or if it is the new BBM software.. but it seems like the battery is using less power..
    06-22-10 06:13 PM
    Flashing the phone/upgrading the OS sometimes causes some problems too.

I was running a .748 hybrid, then downgraded to .699 without wiping (just replacing the sys modules).

Phone was getting the clock icon pretty often and stuff was slow...

Did a complete wipe with BBSAK, reinstalled .699 and everything was smooth. People think it's the hardware a lot of the time when that probably isn't the issue.
    06-22-10 06:17 PM
    all that stuff you had mentioned.. you were referring to BBM?

so youre running BBM .699? In blackberry Apps, i was only given the option to download bbm 5.0.0.57
    06-22-10 06:31 PM
    Nah I was referring to the OS version in general.
    06-22-10 06:48 PM
    Make sure you are not using PTT, it killed my battery life as well. I took PTT off my account and deleted it from my phone and my battery life problems have disappeared!
    06-22-10 07:06 PM
    I've had my 9650 for 4 days. Up until today, the battery seemed to do okay. Today is different.

In nine hours, with only a one minute phone call and a few minutes checking emails, the battery drained 90%.

I recharged and unplugged an hour ago. It's already down 20%--and I haven't even touched it (except to check the battery level).

Wifi, GPS and Bluetooth and all instant messaging programs are turned off.. The only things on are the phone and email push. I"m getting three bars in 3g.

I have it programmed to go into standby after 90 seconds. (If I try to do it manually by holding down the "mute" button, nothing happens.)

Any ideas what could be causing this? (I even removed an reinserted the battery.) Could it be a problem with a cell tower or is it more likely my phone?

Thanks.
    Have you installed or changed themes recently? Have you done a battery pull lately to see if that helps?
    06-22-10 07:14 PM
    i've noticed when i go into "Options" > "Applications" > "Core"..

PTT is listed.. But it does not allow me to delete that application. Any idea on how to delete it permanently?
    06-22-10 07:34 PM
    I have had my Bold now for 2 and a half weeks. The battery is now starting to get where it will last all day. I guess it all depends on how you use it and how you break it in.

BTW - Love this phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 07:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD